Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Firmware update 1.0.5.11130?

I infrequently plug my Reader to my computer (I use wifi and dropbox), but I was feeling lazy yesterday and plugged it into my laptop to discover that there was a firmware update 1.0.5.11130 (I think those were the last digits). I didn't really read what the "improvements" were, I just ran the update. It went without a hitch, I loaded the books I wanted to upload to reader and went about my business.

So for grins today I went to the Sony eSupport site to see what the improvements are (I vaguely remember it was going to remove Google Books since that doesn't work anymore) and you know what? The firmware update isn't listed. Only the firmware version 1.0.04.12210 is there.

I guess my question is, has anyone else here with a PRS-T1 gotten this update? I'll have to play with my reader when I get home to see if Google Books is gone from it.

It would be nice to know what other "improvements" were done though.

Last edited by luvduchovny; 11-26-2012 at 04:37 PM.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Yes, I got the update too.

The only changes mentioned are just Google Books, as you say, and fixing some store issues. That is not to say that there are not other minor ones as well
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

It would be nice to know what all the fixes are. Not that I was having any issues with the store and my reader. I've bought a few books from the sony store with no issues at all. It's just kind of weird that they haven't uploaded it to their support downloads page.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
In the past there have sometimes been a few days delay between when the upgrade is available via the Reader software and when it is posted online. They also did an update for the T2 this past week that was available wirelessly but not online immediately.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
Anoik
Anoik began at the beginning.

Device: none
The new version is online in the Sony spanish site.

http://www.sony.es/support/es/produc...PC_v1005_11130
Anoik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I haven't had a chance to install the update yet. However, I see it is now showing on the Sony support site for the US. It says the update is for the following:

This utility updates the PRS-T1 firmware to version 1.0.05.11130 which addresses the following issues:
•Unable to login to the Reader™ Store
•Removal of Google Books™ (dependent on Country / Region setting) as it is no longer supported via the Reader Store
Improvements provided by previous software versions and included in version 1.0.05.11130:

•Resolves an issue where using a very short page flick to turn a page may accidentally select words and start the dictionary lookup
•Improves touch panel functionality
•Improves stability when searching the dictionary
•Improves Internet connectivity
•Improves Digital Rights Management (DRM) contents compatibility
•Resolves an issue where the Reader is unable to download some e-book files
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Manisphere
Manisphere began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Cool. I never thought Sony would bother to do a firmware update for the T1 again. It's like they still care or something.
Manisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
luvduchovny
Zealot

Manisphere,

I know. I didn't think they would continue to update the T1 now that T2 is the golden child. Hmmm... Thanks 4695mls for uploading what the improvements are. Bookworm_Girl, I guess I never noticed that website versus kind of ota updates before. Kind of an odd practice. You would think Sony would want it available both places at the same time.

Oh and they added Windows 8 as an operating system to the download site (http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...3#/downloadTab). I have Win8 on my laptop and there weren't any issues.

Last edited by luvduchovny; 11-27-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: excessive yakking
Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Available in Australia as well.

http://www.sony.com.au/support/downl...product/prs-t1
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Thanks guys! I'm doing the update right now.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #11
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
I had a quick look at the update.

First, the Spanish and Australian downloads are identical.

Second, there's two new files in this update:
- EbookLatinIME4Ebook.apk
- EbookLatinIME4Ebook.odex

Last, 58 files are different between this and the previous update. Of these, 17 were mostly empty jar/zip files. 33 are the same size, but the binary contents are different - most of these are in the framework directory. 8 files are different sizes. These are:
Code:
    Old     New File
 177864  177814 app/EbookHome.apk
3411227 3413821 app/EbookNetworkApplications.apk
 589312  589952 app/EbookNetworkApplications.odex
 639788  639789 app/EbookReader.apk
1025800 1026696 app/EbookReader.odex
  53606   55285 etc/NOTICE.html.gz
 666228  670324 lib/libcrypto.so
 159108  159132 lib/libssl.so
Is there enough of a size difference for EbookReader.odex that there might be some bug fixes in the reader app? This size differences (almost nothing) for EbookHome.apk and EbookReader.apk seem to indicate no real change.

Not sure what all this proves, but it passed half an hour this afternoon .

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #12
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Also available in UK with instructions for installing including a warning that the reader battery MUST be fully charged before installing the update!
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiTee View Post
Also available in UK with instructions for installing including a warning that the reader battery MUST be fully charged before installing the update!
That's not new. They've always said that.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
That's not new. They've always said that.
It is worth pointing out though. I have had a lot of problems recently with the battery discharging and reinstalling an update with a fully charged battery seems to make it like new again

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #15
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Updated my T1 last night with no issues.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote