Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Different ways of writing small-caps

Hi

It may sound as naive questions. Sorry for this.

I have been using small-caps for some time already with Linux Libertine. They have a dedicated small-cap font and so, the font-family designation is all that we need either for the word processor or the css.

I have seen other fonts where things seem to be a little different and not so basic.

For Linux Libertine G (G for Graphite), the regular font encompass also the smallcaps. You can write them on a word processor adding smcp=1 to the font-family name or you also can use a typography bar. I guess the first way could be used in the css, even if it does not look very convenient.

I could also try not long ago a GaramondPro-Regular.otf in one EPUB. I looked at the Adobe notice. They report that the regular font has, among many other things, a small-cap capability. I do not know how to write them with a word processor and with the css. I understand we can do everything and more using InDesign but I do not have this program. For the latter, is this the time to use the 'font-variant:'small-caps'?

Has somebody some experience to share on this?
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
GaramondPro-Regular is too light a weight for an eink screen. I've used the semibold version and it's OK. But you may need to try to find a medium version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
GaramondPro-Regular is too light a weight for an eink screen. I've used the semibold version and it's OK. But you may need to try to find a medium version.
I've used already a semi-bold font for a title page (saved as an image) but not for an entire book. I'll have to give it a try.

If you use Garamond, for small-caps, how do you write them on the CSS?
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I'm afraid there's not a standard way of accessing OPF font properties/settings/toggles or whatever they're named in CSS, at least in something compatible with ePub.

But even if there is, I'm afraid most reading apps won't support it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote