Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Paperwhite's screen?
Yes 191 76.71%
No 58 23.29%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #91
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
I'm pretty happy with mine. There are some shadows at the bottom, but I can live with that.

One thing that does bother me though is the minimum brightness. The other night I was tossing and turning in the middle of the night, and decided to read for a while. Even on minimum brightness it felt like it was lighting up the whole room. (It probably wasn't, but I could have read quite comfortably with my night-adapted eyes with only half the light.)

Still, four stars:★★★★☆
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #92
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Interesting. I found the brightness a the minimal setting to be (for my taste) way too low.

Still had my parents' warning from 35 years ago in my head "You are going to ruin your eyes by reading under a blanket with a flashlight"...

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #93
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Still had my parents' warning from 35 years ago in my head "You are going to ruin your eyes by reading under a blanket with a flashlight"...
YOU too?!!!! Seriously, it's an urban legend, isn't it? At least that is what my girlfriend made me believe much later.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #94
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Modern flashlights are much brighter than they used to be. I'm sure it's fine now....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #95
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Quote:
Interesting. I found the brightness a the minimal setting to be (for my taste) way too low.
This was in the middle of a very dark night. No nearby street lights, no moon/stars and thick curtains. And my eyes were well adapted to the darkness.

Otherwise I agree that the minimum brightness is too low to even be noticed.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #96
Saturday
Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (3G)
Quote:

Best regards,
Andy
Same here. I found myself reading in the dark with the brightness on a 9 or so because I was worried I'd strain my eyes with the lower settings. Of course, I live pretty close to city centre, so nights here are far from pitch black.
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #97
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I can read really comfortably at 3 or 4 in the night. I could get away with the minimum brightness but I worry about straining my eyes so put it up a few notches. Its incredibly comfortable. Perhaps those who find the light too dim might like the Kobo glo as through minimum setting on that is really bright.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #98
davidfosterart
davidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with others

Device: Kobo Glo
Well I got my Paperwhite, I am in the UK. I had a Kobo Glo which I took back so I can compare. I am happier with the Amazon eco system etc. so the experience seems better. The Paperwhite in the case is a lovely device. The screen with the light on lowest setting looks like a normal e-ink screen so great. With the light on 7 in a lit room it compares well with the Kindle Keyboard. The light on full looks rough with a brighter LED on the left and a red blotch and a green blotch. To be honest I can't see me using full brightness. In a normal room I will use it as if it was a Touch ignoring the light.
I might report it to Amazon to change after Christmas, I don't want the hassle of swapout now or risk getting a worse one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pwnolight.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	95193   Click image for larger version

Name:	pwmiddlelight.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	95194   Click image for larger version

Name:	pwfulllight.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	95195  
davidfosterart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #99
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
I don't agree that the light needs to be at 7 to compare to KK. I have it at the lowest setting and it still looks more white than the KK.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #100
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
I don't agree that the light needs to be at 7 to compare to KK. I have it at the lowest setting and it still looks more white than the KK.
Its really hard too compare two units this way as they have not been anything consistently close in its manufacturing from one unit to the another. The only thing consistent about the paperwhite is its inability to be consistent.

Last edited by tmf2; 10-30-2012 at 09:45 PM.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #101
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
The only thing consistent about the paperwhite is its inability to be consistent.
Ha, true that.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:42 AM   #102
davidfosterart
davidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with others

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Hi, yes I agree, sorry I meant I took the photo at level 7. Yes if you ignore the light problems (I know that is supposed to be it's selling point) it is a Kindle Touch with a light. I could send it back for a Basic Kindle but wouldn't have the touch screen or light when needed. Side by side with my wife's Keyboard with light on lowest it is just as good, slightly better.
davidfosterart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #103
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Thankfully, there is no truth to that statement. Astronomers spend a great deal of time straining to see the faintest detail at the eyepiece, and then using dim flashlights to consult charts and books, and their eyesight is no better or worse than anyone else.

On the other hand, reading is going to ruin your eyes, which is why so many of us suffer from myopia. The human eye was not designed with reading in mind.

Thanks to all for this discussion and vote. It's been most helpful to a potential (and now likely) buyer.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #104
Saturday
Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (3G)
Reading in low light can cause eyestrain, it's just that eyestrain isn't as permanent or serious as most people think it is. It'll go away by itself when you give your eyes some rest. It's just uncomfortable.

The reading = myopia thing is also a myth, though failing to exercise your long distance vision enough can weaken it (which has been observed in people who spend a long time aboard submarines, for instance), so as with most things in life, balance is key.

Anyway, I tried reading in slightly darker conditions last night and it was very comfortable at a 7. I'm sure the lowest light settings would be ideal if I was out of the city, so I wouldn't really want to raise the minimum brightness any. The current scale seems to cover most eventualities really well; I had it on maximum in bright sunlight the other day and it was definitely easier to read in such bright conditions than my KK was.
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #105
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Yes, I am. I'm even happy with shades at the bottom, they are pretty usable for me, as I said in different topic: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=55

When setting correct light level for environment you're in, light is really nicely distributed over screen and looks just awesome. In some conditions it doesn't even look like it's lighted - it just looks white (i'll repeat - in some conditions, not always ).

I'm glad I waited with buying my first e-reader. I considered buying Kindle 4 when was released, but somehow didn't do that (not sure why to be honest). When I saw Paperwhite being announced, I was already decided within first minutes and I don't regret
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote