Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
karl_k
karl_k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4
Kindle4 NT prevent OTA update ?

Hi !

I got my kindle4 nt for christmas. It currently is on Firmware 4.0. I have not yet registered it with amazon.

I want to use the diagmode - root access to do a screensaver hack, so i wonder if that would still work once i register my kindle with amazon and they push a firmware update to the device ?

Is there a way to prevent firmware updates ? Should one do that ?
I presume a firmware update will remove the root-access right ?
karl_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Ceuse
Ceuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch & Kindle Keyboard
Intresting question here since i almost got a heartatack when i saw my (gifted) old k3 jailbreak update after i rebootet it randomly.

would be much apriciated to get info how to turn of ota update für k 3, k4nt & k4t
Ceuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Ceuse
Ceuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it is

bump

OTA Updates are scary
Old 01-13-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
Lorphos
Librie lab rat
Lorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with others

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
The current firmware 4.0.1 is still easily hackable on the K4NT.

I don't think the K4NT does OTA updates anyway. I had to manually put the firmware file in the root directory and initiate the update on mine.
Lorphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Ceuse

well my old keyboard did a ota update wich scared me so i asumed that the kindle 4 nt and kindle touch will also do ota updates, or am i totaly wrong about that? if yes why the hell did my kindle keyboard update itself
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
aleq
Enthusiast
aleq began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT (4.0.1), KT (5.3.7.3), KPW1 (sold), KPW2
Any news on this subject?
aleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_k View Post
Hi !

I got my kindle4 nt for christmas. It currently is on Firmware 4.0. I have not yet registered it with amazon.

I want to use the diagmode - root access to do a screensaver hack, so i wonder if that would still work once i register my kindle with amazon and they push a firmware update to the device ?

Is there a way to prevent firmware updates ? Should one do that ?
I presume a firmware update will remove the root-access right ?
Did you follow this thread (it's for Touch).
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
aleq
Enthusiast

I did but unless I'm doing something terribly wrong, I don't see /etc/upstart directory at all. I'll check the rest of /etc scripts however to see if they do implement it differently.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleq View Post
I did but unless I'm doing something terribly wrong, I don't see /etc/upstart directory at all. I'll check the rest of /etc scripts however to see if they do implement it differently.
Oh my bad! Kindles prior to K5 don't use upstart...
suggestion: issue this command:
find / -iname '*otaupdate*'

and play with it yourself. I don't have K4NT, otherwise I could help you.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
aleq
Enthusiast

This is almost exactly what I did :-) I tried
Code:
find /etc -name '*ota*'
with no luck.
I tried yours, -iname is not supported, with find
Code:
find / -name '*ota*'
I get only (I have removed items not related to update like ....annotations.gif from the list):
Code:
/mnt/rwfs/var/tmp/_otaupexec
/usr/sbin/otaup
/var/tmp/_otaupexec
Thanks for any tips even though you don't have K4NT