Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 02:32 PM   #106
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
There are several ways you can get digital content from the NYTimes: free access to their web site, $ for Times Reader where some content (the same as the free web site content?) is delivered to your PC or wireless device, or $$ for the Times Electronic Edition which is the complete content of the paper edition but delivered to your PC. They recently discontinued Times Select which was $ for what amonted to the free stuff plus a few extra bits.

So the question I would like someone to answer: what level of content do you get if you buy it from Amazon for the Kindle?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #107
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
There are several ways you can get digital content from the NYTimes: free access to their web site, $ for Times Reader where some content (the same as the free web site content?) is delivered to your PC or wireless device, or $$ for the Times Electronic Edition which is the complete content of the paper edition but delivered to your PC. They recently discontinued Times Select which was $ for what amonted to the free stuff plus a few extra bits.

So the question I would like someone to answer: what level of content do you get if you buy it from Amazon for the Kindle?
Hmmm! Interesting, and would we be swamped with adds?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #108
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

I have purchased and am trying to read the Kindle Edition of the Washington Post. When I am able to read it I will tell you what it lacks.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #109
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
OK, thanks. My only remaining concern is that the only simple unencrypted format is .txt.
I read a lot of BAEN books and would like to see .rtf.
If a mobiPocket file is stored in the original format it can be read and converted by BookDesigner. This is an unencrypted format and is actually pretty simple so exchange is certainly possible using this format. It is basically PalmDoc with html added. Baen could publish anything in this format. Note that the new compression format used on some MobiPocket books cannot be decoded from any product I am aware of other than MobiPocket.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #110
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Hmmm! Interesting, and would we be swamped with adds?
Well, actually, the complete Electronic Edition does have all the ads in it as well as every bit of info that the NYTimes publishes. Of course, the web site (and, I think, Times Reader) contains a subset of that. I should mention that a single issue of the Electronic Edition is nearly half a gigabyte, at least in the format in which they give it to you. So I may have just answered my own question. They are probably delivering to the Kindle the abbreviated content. But I'd like confirmation nonetheless.
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #111
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Thumbs down Kindle+Amazon= White Elephant!

Having read every post at MR about the Kindle..I can only see a White Elephant running down the Path. Can a company actually think on a 5 year or ten year scale instead of a 6 month scale? The Kindle appears another nail in the coffin for the ereaders to catch on to the masses. The price tag is 400USD? I use my Acer n311 to read..... Happily and I can do a load of functions in additoin to reading with Mobipocket. Hopefully Amazon will come out with a second version after they see their errors....

hidari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ok folks, I have some rather bad news to deliver....

Meaning the Kindle Editions are only for the Kindle and you can only get them wirelessly.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:47 PM   #112
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, actually, the complete Electronic Edition does have all the ads in it as well as every bit of info that the NYTimes publishes. Of course, the web site (and, I think, Times Reader) contains a subset of that. I should mention that a single issue of the Electronic Edition is nearly half a gigabyte, at least in the format in which they give it to you. So I may have just answered my own question. They are probably delivering to the Kindle the abbreviated content. But I'd like confirmation nonetheless.
I'd say 50% of add content is useless to out of towners anyway. Why subject worldwide customers to it? Unless it's for multinationals like Nike...
Old 11-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #113
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I'd say 50% of add content is useless to out of towners anyway. Why subject worldwide customers to it? Unless it's for multinationals like Nike...
Certainly, I couldn't agree with you more. But when I've bought a copy of the paper edition and compared it with what's on their web site, the content I want to read in depth is missing from the web. It is for that reason that I've wanted the Electronic Edition (which costs $169 per year) - not for the ads.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #114
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
free.kindle.com sounds like Free Willy to me. Someone please free the Kindle from cruel DRM.

Seriously, this also raises copyright issues. Sure not every PDF file is meant to be sent through some other company's servers, even if it's just for conversion purposes.
You can convert PDF files with the Windows version of MobiPocket and then just download them.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #115
developerzero
developerzero is on a distinguished road

Device: none (sadly)
Did anyone else notice this review on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R3V5MPI...wasThisHelpful

This guy HAS ONE!!!!

Also, the best place I've found for legal, paid for e-books is:
http://wowio.com

It is ad-based, with two adds added to the front, and one to the end, with a limit of three downloads per day. But it is FREE, it is LEGAL, and the content producers are PAID for it (and the ads can be easily removed with pdflrf for reading on the Sony Reader).
developerzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #116
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Can a company actually think on a 5 year or ten year scale instead of a 6 month scale?
Don't forget, Amazon has already made history as a company that saw beyond next week... in fact, while every get-rich-quick site flared and died during the dot-com boom, Amazon trucked along, not even making a dime in profit, for years until they finally caught on. If anyone has the ability to see (and stick to) the long-term picture, it's Amazon.

That said, although e-books are the future, I don't know about the Kindle specifically. I would've thought Amazon would be happy providing Mobi content, or even multiple formats, and let the readers worry about what they read 'em on.

But then, I'm not Amazon.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #117
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Captive market... that's what every money monger is on to since Apple proved one viable.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #118
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
In the License agreement:

Amazon provides wireless connectivity free of charge to you for certain content shopping and acquisition services on your Device. You will be charged a fee for wireless connectivity for your use of other wireless services on your Device, such as Web browsing and downloading of personal files, should you elect to use those services. We will maintain a list of current fees for such services in the Kindle Store

So it would seem that you'll get charged a fee for any wireless connection outside the buying of books...
Wait, does that mean that connecting to Wikipedia will be charged or is that free? They mentioned that you have access to Wikipedia in their video--sucks and ruins my joy if I would have to pay for that...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #119
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Wait, does that mean that connecting to Wikipedia will be charged or is that free? They mentioned that you have access to Wikipedia in their video--sucks and ruins my joy if I would have to pay for that...
I though I read somewhere that any wireless use except for book downloads costs. Of course now I can't find the reference, so I'm not 100% sure it's true.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #120
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I though I read somewhere that any wireless use except for book downloads costs. Of course now I can't find the reference, so I'm not 100% sure it's true.
Hmm, well Wikipedia itself may have answered my question. Their entry for the Amazon Kindle states: "Access to Wikipedia is offered at no additional charge." So I hope that's correct!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote