Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
drwoood
Edge User

Library to sort by filename and have search capabilities

At present, if you have a large number of files in the library, it can be very difficult to find the file that you want. This could be addressed by introducing the ability to sort by filename (as well as the present fields of Author, Title, Date etc), and by introducing a search capability.

I recently purchased an Edge, and transferred some files to it that were mainly journal articles, and organised in separate folders by subject on my computer. I was able to manually add tags to these files based on the folder, but some of these folders would have about 300 files. Most of these were easy to find on the computer, because they had filenames like "Weitzman1974.pdf" (i.e. author date). The field that the Edge uses have not been very useful - it is amazing how many documents have 'titles' like "Microsoft Word - ..." or empty title or author fields - these fields are often not paid much attention to by the author of a document, and hence have limited use.

The introduction of the ability to sort by filename, and a search capability, would make it much easier to find documents, and use the Entourage Edge in the way that it should be used.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
dcubed2
Edge User

I agree, but I don't want it limited to the library. I'd like to be able to effectively search my sd cards and usb drives also. I'd like to be able to use wildcard characters to search - like the old * on dos. Searchable tags on non-library files would also be very useful.

Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
10tklz
Edge User

This would be great!

Old 05-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
drwoood
Edge User

I just spent 10 minutes trying (and failing) to find two documents in the library. It would have taken less time to find them on the internet. This is why I believe that this feature request is important.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
sarah11918
Edge User

Agreed. I have a lot of short little articles in the library and it's a loooong list to sift through without a search function.

Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
rakista
Edge User

With almost 180 PDFs on my current Geology SD card alone I'm having a tough time working on my research when away from my computer.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
dcubed2
Edge User

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have 400+ plus files on my sd card. I haven't plugged it into my computer in a while, so I'm not sure how many. But, I can't search through and the trackball isn't exactly great at scrolling like that. I'd love, as a stopgap measure, to use the volume button as a page up and down button, like I use in Dolphin.

But we really, really need some good search tools. Way more than file type, too. Most of my files are pdf, so filtering a few mp3s really doesn't do much.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Astro File Manager

http://www.androidtapp.com/astro-file-manager/
Astro file manager searches all the folders on the edge. The procedure to get it to search the external sd card is from home click on up, look for extsdcard and bookmark it, or set as home if that is where you search most often. Now you can use the magnifying glass icon to search by file name or text in the file. Unfortunately it is not able to open it via the library, but does open a PDF with PDF to Go.
And Linda File Manager will let you make a new folder on your SD card. http://www.androidtapp.com/linda-fil...-file-manager/
This one lacks the excellent search functions of Astro though.

Last edited by cheyennedonna; 05-06-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
dcubed2
Edge User

Thanks! Many of my pdfs do not open correctly in Docs to Go, so I do need them to open on the eInk side. If enTourage can't, or doesn't have time to, program this, perhaps the sdk kit will allow some developer to make something like Astro but will work with the library and eInk screen.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
cheyennedonna
Edge User

One more note on Linda file manager, there is a beta wallpaper funtion with some nice art.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:41 AM   #11
rakista
Edge User

I need to markup my papers at the very least. Familiar with file managers but what is really killing me is not having OCR for my own notes. Printing dozens of random pages to read my scrawl on is no fun.

Last edited by rakista; 07-03-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
rakista
Edge User

Any word on search?