Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
domromer
Enthusiast
domromer began at the beginning.

Device: Something that works well with libraries.
Best ereader for a heavy library user?

Lately I've been thinking more and more about getting an ereader. The problem is that I almost never buy books. So I'd need something that can work well with libraries that rent ebooks. From what little research I've done it seems the kindle would not be a good fit, where it seems sony's models would work better.

I'm not real concerned about wifi and I'd like to spend close to $100.
I'd be very appreciative yo hear some other model recommendations.
There are so many models to choose from and it would be nice to hear from people whom actually own them.
domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I love my Sony 650, and it works with library ebooks. But I believe the Nook and Kobo (which are less expensive and more in your price range) will read the library books, too.

Overdrive page on compatible devices
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
If I were you I would consider spending about $150 and getting the Sony PRS 505... great reader!
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer View Post
Lately I've been thinking more and more about getting an ereader. The problem is that I almost never buy books. So I'd need something that can work well with libraries that rent ebooks. From what little research I've done it seems the kindle would not be a good fit, where it seems sony's models would work better.

I'm not real concerned about wifi and I'd like to spend close to $100.
I'd be very appreciative yo hear some other model recommendations.
There are so many models to choose from and it would be nice to hear from people whom actually own them.
Anything that supports Adobe Digital Editions (most readers other than the Kindle) will work with Libraries. If being able to use it with libraries and the price are your primary deciders, I would check out Borders and Targets for closeouts on the PRS-300. Borders is advertising them for about $109. There are rumors of some Target stores selling them for even less!

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
If I were you I would consider spending about $150 and getting the Sony PRS 505... great reader!
The 505 is long out of production, and contains a deal-killer for library users with its format conflict. Stay away! The 300's and 600's they're unloading cheap right now have the same flaw.

Sony 350 for $179 sounds like a good bet for you, unless you want to wait for the Kobo 2 perhaps? Nook doesn't sound like a great deal for someone who has no plans to purchase books (from B & N).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, domromer
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Make sure to check to see that your library actually has an e-book program (or is planning one). There are 221 libraries in Alberta that have them--and my city is not one of them, despite being the third largest in the province.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
Ryan_Phx
Enthusiast
Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2, Nook, Kindle DXG
I use my Nook for borrowing from our local library and I love it. The wifi version is $149. I've had the opportunity to play with a lot of the ereaders lately, and the Nook definitely feels more solid and well-built than the Kobo or some of the other cheaper readers. The Sonys are good, but the navigation and interface is a bit goofy, in my opinion. If I were you, I'd go to the store and get my hands on both a Sony and a Nook, and see which one feels more natural for you.
Ryan_Phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Keep in mind that books published by Macmillan and Simon & Schuster are not available from public libraries as ebooks. You'll still need to read those in hardcover.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #10
domromer
Enthusiast

I like the look of the kindle. It looks like I'd be able convert the epub format for the kindle with calibre. So the kindle seems to be the most bang for your buck. I like the kobo as well but the reviews mention very slow page turning. So maybe I'll wait for 2nd version to come out.

Will the kobo work well with PDF files. I currently read many large documents on my iPad that are formatted as PDFs.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer View Post
I like the look of the kindle. It looks like I'd be able convert the epub format for the kindle with calibre. So the kindle seems to be the most bang for your buck. I like the kobo as well but the reviews mention very slow page turning. So maybe I'll wait for 2nd version to come out.

Will the kobo work well with PDF files. I currently read many large documents on my iPad that are formatted as PDFs.
If you're going to break DRM to convert to Kindle, why not just read on the iPad you already have?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
domromer
Enthusiast

The iPad makes my eyes hurt and weighs too much.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
The 505 is long out of production, and contains a deal-killer for library users with its format conflict. Stay away! The 300's and 600's they're unloading cheap right now have the same flaw.

Sony 350 for $179 sounds like a good bet for you, unless you want to wait for the Kobo 2 perhaps? Nook doesn't sound like a great deal for someone who has no plans to purchase books (from B & N).
Ummm, what format conflict? The 505 (post firmware update), the 300 and 500 all support Adobe Digital Editions and therefore, should work just fine with most libraries.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
blogbook
Groupie
blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, KF HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Ummm, what format conflict? The 505 (post firmware update), the 300 and 500 all support Adobe Digital Editions and therefore, should work just fine with most libraries.
There is an issue that borrowed epubs and pdfs can not be read at the same time on the same (Sony) reader. I don't know whether this problem still occurs with the new devices.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78529
blogbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
First, check with your library and make sure that they have the books that you want in e-book format. If not, start looking for where you can go to get the books you want. E-books at the library is a pretty new thing and many folks have reported their libraries not having the best selection. You may find that the selection is not to the point where you want to invest in an E-reader.

If you do find that you want one, I would say get a Nook. It is less expensive and has a better book store then the Sony. Yes, you are getting it for library use but you could find that you start buying books and you may as well have a reader that allows that to happen.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote