Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 05:34 AM   #1
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Social Networking and Twitter: NO THANK YOU

Just curious are there any other MR Komrades that are quite happy without any social networking...ie. Facebook, MySpace, etc..., Twitter.....

For myself email is mostly enough. I also work with Skype and talk to my family via Skype out because it is so cheap. But Social Networking.......

No thanks...

TWITTER.....TRIPLE NO thanx... For other people... I hope they enjoy it...If I have free time. I play Chess on-line....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've never even visited a social networking site, and have no desire to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:59 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Just curious are there any other MR Komrades that are quite happy without any social networking...ie. Facebook, MySpace, etc..., Twitter.....
Yes, I'm content not to be socially networked.

Quote:
If I have free time. I play Chess on-line....
Which site, if you don't mind me asking?
I let my ICC account expire, currently trying to decide whether to renew, or go with FICS - any other good sites for chess?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I use MSN, mostly to chat to my mother (who lives 3 countries away...) and sometimes my brothers (who live at the other side of the country). Never felt the need to visit any social network site. And I only see a purpose for twitter for companies that are pushing a product.

Oh, my "social network" are forums... I visit 2 daily.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of

Forums like this, and a handful of Yahoo groups, are as "social" as I get online.

I don't "text", either.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Several Twitter accounts all of which I deleted. Facebook, which I used three times then deleted. I'm just about to set up an identi.ca and I'll definitely be all over disapora* when it's released, but that is shaping up to be so much more than just a social networking site. As far as I can see, diaspora* might change the way we think about the web completely.

Also, Facebook is just beyond horrible when it comes to privacy.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sparrow,

I highly recommend http://www.schemingmind.com/

A great site. It is based in England and run by Austin, who is a great chap. he keeps the site simple and most of the players are there to play chess, not chat about this and that. It is a correspondence chess site.

It costs only 10 quid a year and offers a lot of features. You can play ICCF games via Schemingmind.com.

It also specializes in Variants.. There of course is Chess 960 (Fisher Random Chess). In addition, you can play Shatranj...the prequel to chess, Makruk (Thai Chess) and many other variants. One called Alice Chess is like playing Chess from Star Trek.

I tend to play the traditional alternatives. Next year there are plans to add Shogi and Chinese Chess among other things.. Anyways..enuf of that rant...

Hidari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Yes, I'm content not to be socially networked.

Which site, if you don't mind me asking?
I let my ICC account expire, currently trying to decide whether to renew, or go with FICS - any other good sites for chess?
Old 06-06-2010, 06:57 AM   #8
hidari
MR Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I use MSN, mostly to chat to my mother (who lives 3 countries away...) and sometimes my brothers (who live at the other side of the country). Never felt the need to visit any social network site. And I only see a purpose for twitter for companies that are pushing a product.

Oh, my "social network" are forums... I visit 2 daily.
I see how twitter could suck someone in.... But I barely have time to email much less do social networking and twitttttttting....
Old 06-06-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I am up to my third iteration of Facebook, and may be about to shut it down again. The privacy aspect I am less worried about than I am that I find the UI so annoying. Mostly though, I am not that "social".

Twitter, I like. I follow comedians and some friends...some of them live-tweet shows I am watching, making them far more entertaining than they are (@benpobjie and #masterchef is great fun), and I can follow live-tweeting of shows by all via #hashtags (eg. #glee) and feel I am watching it with fellow enthusiasts, or cynical humourists, like having a witty conversation in your empty loungeroom. Comedians trying new material, or just letting their reactions show to current events, is enjoyable. I don't tweet much, I follow few people (70 or so, most of whom are mostly lurkers like me, them often friends and acquaintances), so I am not overwhelmed. I don't tweet my every thought and movement, though I am prone to bursts at times (often iphonographs, of sunsets and such). I like Twitter - I enjoy its limitations, its necessary succinctness (something contrary to my own nature, as perhaps you can tell). I only use it on my phone though - I generally never access it at my computer.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 06-06-2010 at 07:20 AM. Reason: IPhone overcorrecting
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Sparrow,

I highly recommend http://www.schemingmind.com/
- I'll check it out.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm not socially networked either. Hell, I've got a pending friend request here on MR and I'm debating what to do with it. I don't even keep a consistent persona across various forums and other areas; I don't necessarily want my fanfic writing crossed with my online gaming and mixed in with my other hobbies. (If you're wondering, I'm some of the other Worldwalkers but not all of them; I am, however, the original as far as I know, unless you can date one to pre-1993)

I am frankly baffled by this modern urge to throw all the intimate details of one's life out there for all comers to paw over, and I'm boggled at the degree of conceit that is necessary to believe that anyone cares. But what really blows my mind is the idea that people will form social groups based on similar preferences in consumer goods. Seriously ... clothes? food? personal electronics? I'm not talking about support forums, or sharing of resources, or even discussion of content like MR ... it's the whole idea of "I like Pepsi, and you like Pepsi, so we should be friends." Is that what connections between people have come to? Nothing more profound than both buying things from the same company?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
A friend of mine insisted that I make a MySpace account. I've never had any interest in actually using it. Nor do I have the slightest inkling to use any of the other services. If I want to "network" with my friends I'll do it in person or over the phone.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
MR is the closest I've come to a "social networking" site. I feel no need to advertise myself online - or to view others' self-advertisements. Twitter IMHO is a complete waste of time/air-space, whatever. I have limited time and carefully choose which sources of information, socializing, etc. I want to participate in. And I highly value personal privacy and common-sense approaches to privacy.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
No social networking for me. Forums are more than enough.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
MR is the only "social" networking that I do.

It drives me crazy that people I barely know, or remember, track me down through my son's facebook page. Then he sends me their contact info for me to decide if I want to connect (which is starting to drive him crazy when he has to be the middleman). I never "befriend" or whatever. If people are my friends then we already have contact.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote