Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Paperwhite's screen?
Yes 191 76.71%
No 58 23.29%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #61
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Use Helvetica Fonts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman69 View Post
Not really happy at all. The light lens just adds too much diffusion so that the net effect is much less than I would like in sharpness. I am coming to PaperWhite from a Sony PRS-T1 and the Kindle just has less perceived sharpness. I have used Kindles in the past and they always seemed sharper than the Sony but were just too big and bulky for me. The PaperWhite is smaller and I had high hopes but I am rather disappointed.

And the battery life on the PaperWhite appears to be MUCH less than the Sony!!!!

Harvey
Use Helvetica fonts as large size as you can handle. They are very sharp. Some eBooks will not allow it but most will.

Finally, battery life on the PW is the best of all my eReaders. In my current charge cycle where I am recording each session time on an excel spreadsheet, I am up to 8 hours and 32 minutes and my meter shows about 20% of charge still left.

That contrasts with the following results exactly tabulated by my GSam Battery Monitor: Kindle Fire 1st Gen = 5 hours and 10 minutes average; Kindle Fire HD 7" 32 Gb = 5 hours and 39 minutes at the 19% level when I did a full charge for my last cycle. I measure from the date and time of disconnecting from the charger to the next time I need a full charge.

Others report from 2 to 20 hours of time on the Kindle Fire 1st Gen but have not validated that by recording the full Screen Time right before they connect the power cord for the Full Charge. One cannot use the GSam Total Time since that includes discharging the battery to zero which is never done.

If you want to compare the PW to the Sony, set up a spreadsheet for each and start recording Reading Session Times by date and time starting from the beginning of the charge cycle after disconnecting from the power. Run buth down until they will not stay awake until you do a full charge again.

Accumulate the Session Reading times in a column for the Cumulative Reading Time.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-28-2012 at 11:39 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #62
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Jeffrey, LED lighting isn't perfectly even in my case, but it looks better than in your photo.

The Paperwhite is my first E Ink device and I couldn't be any more happy.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #63
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Well the PaperWhite seems more LCD then E-ink to me. Try a Kindle 4B, now thats what E-Ink should look like just like ink on paper.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #64
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
Just got my Paperwhite, and I am not impressed at all...

Here is the best image I could get of the lighting...

Text looks really gray or washed out could be the camera.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #65
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
Well the PaperWhite seems more LCD then E-ink to me. Try a Kindle 4B, now thats what E-Ink should look like just like ink on paper.
Even if you switch of the lighting of the Paperwhite, do you still think it's E Ink display is inferior?
Old 10-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #66
tmf2
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
Even if you switch of the lighting of the Paperwhite, do you still think it's E Ink display is inferior?
Yes the text on the Paperwhite is too thin and smaller due to the resolution change also a lot lighter or washed out.. The Kindle 4 font is much darker and easier to read IMO. The whole reason for me even wanting a Paperwhite would be for the light for night time reading If it cannot produce positive results under those conditions I don't see the point.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #67
shenye
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
Yes the text on the Paperwhite is too thin and smaller due to the resolution change also a lot lighter or washed out.. The Kindle 4 font is much darker and easier to read IMO. The whole reason for me even wanting a Paperwhite would be for the light for night time reading If it cannot produce positive results under those conditions I don't see the point.
I don't have a Kindle 4 I could compare it with. I take your for word for it. Too bad about the thinner font. Maybe it's a good thing I cannot compare so I am still in love with my Paperwhite.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #68
Binko
Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I sent back my PW and have returned to using my little Sony 350 temporarily.

Sure, it's hard to read in dim light but I'm amazed at how solid and easy on the eyes the standard eInk screen seems to me now.

Besides the irregular light and mild splotchy effect the PW had an odd sort of washed out and overly lighted effect that was actually harder on the eyes.

I'm now of the opinion that integrated lights and eInk just don't play well together. At least not with the current technology.
Binko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #69
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
The PW is OK during the day.

At night with the lights out, the slight "Tutti Fruiti" background is a little distracting. Think I prefer reading from the Kindle Fire (dimmed) at night.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #70
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I think they can adjust fonts with a firmware update. Hopefully soon. I agree, it seems like there is a missing size in there.

I saw a tip elsewhere: pinch to lower the font size, zoom to increase it. Faster than going to the menu and the Aa button etc.
Thanks, booklover, for passing on this tip. Great shortcut!

I wish there was another size font between the 2 largest sizes. Other than that, I am very happy with the screen and darkness of the fonts. I got this primarily to read in bed and it is exactly what I wanted. Perfect size and lightweight.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #71
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've now used it extensively at night and I really like it. I can have the light really low (3) and its really comfortable to read. I took it out with me yesterday and it performed well in the restaurant I went too. I've also used it in my well lit living room and I was able to get a nice result there. Today I will take it on my commute so I will see how it holds up under a variety of daytime settings. I also love the new fonts. I thought I'd just use Caecilia condensed but I've found that that palatino is the one I like best. I'm using font 5 on the paperwhite but used to use font 4 on my kindle keyboard and touch.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #72
GibbinR
Connoisseur
GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad mini 5, Kindle Oasis 3
I have a K4 Touch with the Amazon lighted cover, which personally I find quite acceptable for reading at night?
Would the PW be a retrograde step from this? Has anyone got both to make the comparison?
GibbinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #73
Saturday
Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (3G)
The screen on my Paperwhite is flawless, but I'm in the UK so I don't know if they came from a different batch to the problematic American PWs. It had one small greenish blob when it arrived but that began to fade as I used it, and by yesterday it was gone completely.

I was upgrading from a KK with lighted cover, so I'm very happy with the change. It's a lot easier on my eyes in the dark.
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #74
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I've read in other places the colour blobs can fade with time? I can live with the shadowing along the bottom because it's still infinitely preferable to jiggling some stupid clip-on light around - and I don't notice it anyway - but I just got my second Paperwhite delivered (the first arrived pre-bricked, shall we say, and is on its way back) and it does have a certain small, faint pinkish blob at the very bottom. It doesn't bother me hugely, but for the money I'm paying I want as close to flawless as possible; but if there's a chance it'll fade after a few days, I'll take my chances until then and see if it improves.

I saw on a Kindle forum somewhere that the colour discoloration might be down to some form of residue on the screen, perhaps from the plastic bag wrapped around the device when it arrives. Anyone got any thoughts on that?
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #75
Saturday
Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
I've read in other places the colour blobs can fade with time?
Mine had just the one blob when it arrived, like yours (though mine was greenish), and it took about three days to fade completely. My screen is completely blobless now. I don't know what made it fade; I didn't try the screen cleaning methods that other posters have mentioned, though I would have if it didn't go away on its own. It just seemed to gradually get fainter and fainter each time I switched it on, until it wasn't there anymore.
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote