Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Paperwhite's screen?
Yes 191 76.71%
No 58 23.29%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #46
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Another thing I can't seem to get used to so far are the fonts on the PW. The sizes are 'off' when compared to my Touch and K3 where I had settled into a perfect size and the PW is either too small or too large and I can't seem to settle in. Still don't know why we're limited to specific sizes instead of a slider for size on these devices.
I think they can adjust fonts with a firmware update. Hopefully soon. I agree, it seems like there is a missing size in there.

I saw a tip elsewhere: pinch to lower the font size, zoom to increase it. Faster than going to the menu and the Aa button etc.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Do I look like a leprechaun? Well, apart from the green coat, that is.
Your green so yes you do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #48
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I saw a tip elsewhere: pinch to lower the font size, zoom to increase it. Faster than going to the menu and the Aa button etc.
That's a great tip! Thank you!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #49
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
My replacement PW also has the pink/green blotches or stripes. The font contrast is not very good to increase contrast I increased the light which washes out the text even more. On the K4S I have font size set at 4 on the PW 5 and its not as large as the 4 on the K4S or as dark, 5 is too large on the PW. I need 4.5 with thicker fonts or blacker for better contrast. I debating to continue the lottery or wait until the screen issues are fixed and a firmware solution made to address the fonts.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #50
fishman69
Enthusiast
fishman69 began at the beginning.

Device: Sonys - 500, 505, 900, T1; Kindles - 2, 3; Nook - Touch
Not really happy at all. The light lens just adds too much diffusion so that the net effect is much less than I would like in sharpness. I am coming to PaperWhite from a Sony PRS-T1 and the Kindle just has less perceived sharpness. I have used Kindles in the past and they always seemed sharper than the Sony but were just too big and bulky for me. The PaperWhite is smaller and I had high hopes but I am rather disappointed.

And the battery life on the PaperWhite appears to be MUCH less than the Sony!!!!

Harvey
fishman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #51
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
I am delighted with the screen. If this thing had page turn buttons, it would be the perfect ereader! (my opinion, of course)
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #52
KTamas
Enthusiast
KTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
No. I sold mine because of that, even though I got one of the better ones. The bottom ~25% looked almost exactly like in the Ars Technica review: like this.

The rest of the screen was slightly uneven but okay. Still, it bothered me a lot so I will wait for the next generation. Or maybe they will fix the issue in a few months.
KTamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #53
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I think they can adjust fonts with a firmware update. Hopefully soon. I agree, it seems like there is a missing size in there.

They really need to do something with the fonts they are too light/thin. And I agree on the sizing. On my K4S I'm fine at 4 with great contrast, 5 on the PW looks smaller and grey, 6 is way to big.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #54
jeffcdo
jeffcdo began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
My Paperwhite unit finally arrived on Friday (I ordered the day they were announced). I'm fairly happy with it, though the smudgy-ness at the bottom of the screen bothers me quite a bit, and I have my doubts I'm going to get used to it. I don't want to sound like an Apple zombie, but I keep thinking that it's the sort of issue that somebody like a Steve Jobs would never have been satisfied to allow to go into actual production. My previous Kindle was (is) a third generation keyboard model. I find these newer touch screens feel "cheaper" in terms of build quality. I don't have the multi-color issue some are reporting, but the lighting does have a blue cast to it and I would not describe it as "white" at all...still it does improve the contrast especially in low light conditions. The tech is "almost" there, someday this model will be looked back as transitional once the lighting is perfected. I had looked forward to a more paperback-book like Palatino font, but it's too thin and I still stick to the defaults.
jeffcdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #55
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
After using my Paperwhite since Friday night, I have to say I am very happy with the screen compared to my Nook Simple Touch. The lighting is fantastic, and I really like the Palatino font.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #56
SubElement
Connoisseur
SubElement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
Just got my Paperwhite, and I am not impressed at all...

Here is the best image I could get of the lighting...

SubElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #57
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Looks like a spot light on the bottom, middle!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #58
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post

I'm seeing pinks, greens and a really bright white spot at the bottom center of the screen. I'm so sorry for you. I wouldn't be able to see past that.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #59
teraflame
Enthusiast
teraflame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post

I have the same light leak on the bottom left. It bothers me a bit but I don't really want to go back to the replacement lottery again.
teraflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #60
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Overall I'm very pleased with my paperwhite screen. Is it perfect ?no. The lighting is not uniform in certain lighting settings but I can adjust the setting and find something which is comfortable for me. I find the contrast on it to be excellent and a lot better than my touch.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote