Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Smartphone vs E-Ink ?

I am trying to decide if I want a dedicated ereader or not.
At the moment, I am reading epubs off Android using an HTC Desire HD (4.3" like HD2, EVO and Droid X)

It's alright and it's pretty high quality but I have never seen a E-Ink Pearl in action.

Is it worth buying a dedicated reader in addition to the smartphone ? What was your thoughts when YOU moved from your 3.7"+ smartphone to E-INK ? Is it much more comfortable ?
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Many here, Silencer, prefer eink to backlit devices because they're easier on the eyes and the battery charge. Also a traditional book-sized screen, of course. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer23 View Post
I am trying to decide if I want a dedicated ereader or not.
At the moment, I am reading epubs off Android using an HTC Desire HD (4.3" like HD2, EVO and Droid X)

It's alright and it's pretty high quality but I have never seen a E-Ink Pearl in action.

Is it worth buying a dedicated reader in addition to the smartphone ? What was your thoughts when YOU moved from your 3.7"+ smartphone to E-INK ? Is it much more comfortable ?
Well, admittedly, the latest generation of Smart Phones have rather large screens, but some might still think they are a little bit small for reading. A 4.3 in screen will probably have about 50% of the area of a 6" screen, which means you will be turning pages twice as often.

Further, the latest generation smart phones tend to burn batteries rather quickly if left active. In contrast, an eInk reader can often go weeks between battery charges.

Finally, eInk just comes much closer to recreating the feel of reading a page in a real book.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
jethro10
Enthusiast
jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: cybook
I have an E-ink machine, have had for over 2 years. I recently got an Android phone and put FbReader on it, and using it for small gaps of time when I never had the full size reader with me.

Suprisingly, I've never picked up the E-Ink reader for over 2 months now.
Much longer and it goes on Ebay.

My reading patters have me reading several times a week, fir 30-90 mins per session. Eye strain (I'm 50 with glasses) has not been a problem.
The convenience has won me over.

J
jethro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro10 View Post
I have an E-ink machine, have had for over 2 years. I recently got an Android phone and put FbReader on it, and using it for small gaps of time when I never had the full size reader with me.

Suprisingly, I've never picked up the E-Ink reader for over 2 months now.
Much longer and it goes on Ebay.

My reading patters have me reading several times a week, fir 30-90 mins per session. Eye strain (I'm 50 with glasses) has not been a problem.
The convenience has won me over.

J

Yup, what Jethro said!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I read for years on PDAs but was never satisfied because I found reading on the small backlit LCD tiring. YMMV. Since I purchased my first Kindle I've read more with far less eye fatigue. It's not just the difference between eInk and LCD. The screen size is far larger on the smaller Kindles and I find it less tiring to track on a larger screen.

I do like my Droid but only read on it when I'm away from home. I used to carry my Kindle but the reading experience on the Droid is good enough for short reading sessions. A big plus for me is the ability to sync between my Kindle and my Droid so I don't have to remember where I stopped reading on each device.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
I've gone in the opposite direction to you: I started with dedicated ereaders, but now do some of my reading on a mobile device.

If you find reading on the phone an enjoyable experience, I think you'll love one of the latest generation of eink readers.

However, if you don't find it uncomfortable in any way reading from the SLCD screen, maybe you should consider checking out an eink device before buying... it could be that a back-lit tablet device might be more suitable for you, particularly if you read lots of PDFs/comics/technical documents.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I read on both, and kind of like reading on the Kindle better. It's mainly because I can read on eInk with less interruptions. On my phone I'm typically getting, text, emails, and phone calls.

I also tend to read outside during my lunch break. Where the eInk is a clear winner. At night if I can't go to sleep I'll read on my phone since it's much easier to read a backlit device in the dark than using a light source.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:43 AM   #9
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Nice.
I was wondering how many of you also own laptops in addition to the smartphone and E-Ink device and Why ?

This is kind of off topic, but will help me make a few decisions

HTC Desire looks interesting btw Richey. Do you like it ?
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
Carl314
Enthusiast
Carl314 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Motorola Droid with Aldiko
I have been reading books using Aldiko on my original Droid (3.8" screen) for just over a year, and loved it (before that, I used an HTC Touch, with a 2.8" screen). And when my contract runs out, I want a Droid X-sized screen!

However, I just broke down and purchased a Kindle 3. We're taking a cruise next week and will be spending a lot of time in the sun. Even if I could view the Droid screen on teh beach (doubtful), the battery wouldn't last a few hours with the screen on.

As eagerly as I await convergence, I think e-ink will be around for a few more years, at least until there's a dramatic improvement in battery life (days of use the screen being on, not hours) and LCD/AMOLED screens are easy to read in sunlight.

Cheers, Carl.
Carl314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I've been reading ebooks on my smartphones for around 3yrs and currently use a HTC Desire. I have no problem with eye strain and find it most useful at night because I can read in bed easily. However, I still hark after a larger screen size and intend to ask for a Kindle at Xmas (if Santa thinks I've been good enough!).

Like =X=, my intention is to continue to use the phone to read in bed at night and the Kindle for the rest of the time. Despite being a geeky tech lover, I do miss the look, feel and smell of a real book in my hands and won't completely substitute them until I'm forced to. But, the e-ink screens look about as close as you can get at the moment.

The convenience of having something with a bigger screen, yet still very portable and able to contain a choice of ebooks and audio books with web access is too good to miss.

So, for me it's not smartphone vs e-ink. I want both!
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #12
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
When I moved to the Droid X, I was amazed at how well the high-resolution screen displayed text. While I still primarily use my Nook for reading, I have no problem reading with the X for short periods of time.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I nwver thoght I'd read on a cell phone but the droid x converted me. I use it s much a as my e-ink now. still nothing beats the eink for me though
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
We have a Sony, 2 Kindle 3's and a brand new HTC Desire HD (Fantastic Phone), loaded with eReader apps ,

The Pearl eInk on the K3 is brilliant, No eye strain at all,

The Desire is great where you haven't got your Kindle with you, and needs no reading light,

But if your an avid READER, wanting to read books, bot use GPS , play games and don't want to hurt your eyes or get headaches ... then a Kindle wins every time !

The desire is great, but as a READER the K3 is virtually unbeatable !!

Pay your money and take your choice ?
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
woodfrog
woodfrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Hi,
I bought the HTC Desire as well and that was when I discovered e-reading for me for the first time. It is pretty comfortable to read with its AMOLED-Display and good reading software (like FBReader), especially because you can switch to white text on dark background in the night, and don't need a lightsource.
But if you want to read in the sunshine, it just doesn't work, that's a fact.

So I found that I would like to have an ereader-device as well and just bought a Sony PRS-650 a few weeks ago.
I don't regret buying both devices, the Sony is perfect for reading at home, or in the sun, the Desire I always carry with me (but since I got the Sony I don't really use it for reading any more...).
woodfrog is offline   Reply With Quote