Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
Hammo
Hammo began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy s4
Docx Conversion

Kovid, my issue relates to converting books to Docx Format.

The conversion operates perfectly but when loaded into MS Word, it appears that the document is hard coded to the US English Dictionary.

Is it possible to have Calibre use the OS, (In my case, Windows 7), language, not the Keyboard Language.

My system: English (Australia)

Thank you
Hammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The conversion uses whatever language is defined in the input document's metadata.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2015, 11:01 PM   #3
Hammo

Understood, is there a way I can define English Australia in output options to Docx ?

To clarify, if I convert to RTF, issue does not exist, only with Docx.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It should be the work of a moment to change the document language in Word. Or if you input format is epub, edit it in the calibre ebook editor and change the <dc:language> value in the opf file from en to en-AU
Old 05-20-2015, 11:50 PM   #5
Hammo

Sorry, yes, input is Epub, I have made the changes listed here {It should be the work of a moment to change the document language in Word. Or if you input format is epub, edit it in the calibre ebook editor and change the <dc:language> value in the opf file from en to en-AU}.
I have quit and restarted Calibre, when Epub is converted to Docx, these spelling differences still occur, the Docx is still defaulting to US English spelling, Example "center", in Aus English, "centre".

Both Calibre and Ms Word flag these as spelling errors.
Does not occur when converting Epub to RTF

Any help would be appreciated
Advert
Old 05-21-2015, 12:07 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you are still getting spelling errors in calibre, that means:

1) There are additional language declarations in the html files. You will have to change them as well

2) Install an en-AU dictionary in the calibre editor, it does not come with one by default. Or alternately, set the en-gb dictionary as the default for english.

As for changing the language in word, it is very easy, see http://libroediting.com/2014/03/26/h...2013-document/

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 05-21-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:56 AM   #7
Hammo

Have done all of the above except for (1) There are additional language declarations in the html files. You will have to change them as well) as the whole point of my exercise is to have Calibre do the conversion for me.

Works fine if I convert to RTF but to Docx, is it not possible to have Calibre override the inbuilt Language in an Epub file to convert to Docx as Operating System Language ?
Old 05-21-2015, 01:01 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No calibre is not going to make arbitrary changes to the input document during conversion, that is a recipe for chaos.

RTF output does not support languages at all, which is why it "works" for RTF, since Word will just use the system language for an RTF file with no languages in it.

You either have to edit the input document to fix the languages, or edit the DOCX file to change the languages. If you understand regular expressions, you can use the search and replace functionality in the conversion dialog to make the change automatically during conversion.