Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #1
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Search function?

I just picked up a Kobo Mini, having exclusively used Sonys till now. Great little machine!

Perhaps I'm missing the obvious, but does the Mini not have a search function for the library? I can sort the library by title, author, etc and scroll through the list, but on my Sony I can hit search and am presented with an on-screen keyboard to enter a search string. I don't see anything like that on the Kobo Mini...

Last edited by AndrewH; 12-21-2013 at 02:00 AM.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It should have a search function. I don't have one to check, but in the library list, there should either be a magnifying glass in the top left corner, or it is an option when you press the menu icon in the top right.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Search is option is shown from home or library screen by touching 4line icon at top left corner. Menu icon?
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
There are three ways to access search on the Kobo Mini. To search your library or the Kobo bookstore, do as Filmo suggests: select "Search" from the menu that appears when you touch the menu key (the four horizontal line sin the upper left corner) of the home screen.

But I rather suspect you're actually looking for "search within the current book." That's easy and works well. To find other occurrences of a word on the current page, simply highlight a word, and the third icon from the left in the menu that appears at the bottom of the screen (the magnifying glass icon -- which is not a "make image bigger" button, as it is in some apps, but is "search for like a detective" icon).

To find a word that's NOT on the current page, bring up the in-book menu. On the bottom of the screen you'll see an icon of an open book. Touch that. "Search in Book" is one of the choices.

RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Aha! Thank you everyone! It's in the four horizontal line icon in the upper right. I've accessed the settings several times, I don't know why I didn't notice it before. (Missing the obvious).

@RobertJSawyer: Thank you as well for details on how to search within a book. I was actually looking for details on how to find a particular book within my library, but how to search the text within a book is good to know too!

I give props to Kobo, overall this is a very intuitive device to use.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert