Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Loading fonts onto the Iriver Story

Has anyone tried loading fonts onto the Iriver Story, and if so could they give me a hint on how to do it. I'm considering loading a font which includes Mandarin (chinese) characters in case I ever get good enough at Mandarin to be able to read it!

TIA
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just connected my Story, and I see there's a folder called font, but it's empty. I wonder if one loaded a font into there, and referenced it somehow in the css file. But how?

Just checked the manual, and the word "font" doesn't register in there on a pdf search.
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
clanelliott
Enthusiast
clanelliott doesn't litterclanelliott doesn't litter

Device: iriver story
found this
http://www.iriver.com/support/faq_view.asp?fNum=482

also
http://www.gennard.net/blog/2010/02/iriver-story-fonts/
clanelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
James_Wilde
Guru

Thanks, Clanelliot.

Can't give you any more karma at present. Must have given you some recently. So you'll have to settle for this:

From clan Drummond
Old 01-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
clanelliott
Enthusiast

James
when you load a font let us know how it turned out, you can be our tester!
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
James_Wilde
Guru

Old 01-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
James_Wilde
Guru

So far not so good. I have installed a font called STSong into the font folder. I have created a document with some text in that font - I think - and converted it to epub. I have changed the css to show the name of the font. I have changed the font on my Iriver to the name of the new font. And still the text comes out as a row of question marks.

So, 1-0 to the machine. I'll have another go tomorrow, and check the details of the font being used in the original document and in the epub. Too tired now. Sorry.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 AM   #8
clanelliott
Enthusiast

any luck with new fonts?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
James_Wilde
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanelliott View Post
any luck with new fonts?
Erm, no, sorry. I'll put it back on my todo list. Gotta new font to try now, much better than the old one.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
G'day James,
Just wandered by, and spotted this thread. (How've you been?)

The "Fonts" folder on the Story lets you change the font to a custom choice in some of the auxiliary apps, like the notebook and calendar, but not in displaying ePubs.

To get a custom font in the ePub, you have to change the CSS to call that font (which you've done) but also embed the font file in TTF format within the ePub file itself.

Easiest way is to open the ePub file in Sigil. There'll be a Fonts folder already in the ePub structure. Copy the fonts in there (named the same as the reference in the CSS, obviously) and save the file, and you're away. ;-)
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
This is standard with all of the ADE implementations I have seen. It uses its own internal font by default rather than the system font, although the system font will be used in the TOC which may be unfortunate if you need the one you added via CSS.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 AM   #12
James_Wilde
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
G'day James,
Just wandered by, and spotted this thread. (How've you been?)

The "Fonts" folder on the Story lets you change the font to a custom choice in some of the auxiliary apps, like the notebook and calendar, but not in displaying ePubs.

To get a custom font in the ePub, you have to change the CSS to call that font (which you've done) but also embed the font file in TTF format within the ePub file itself.

Easiest way is to open the ePub file in Sigil. There'll be a Fonts folder already in the ePub structure. Copy the fonts in there (named the same as the reference in the CSS, obviously) and save the file, and you're away. ;-)
Thanks, Bran, you've saved me from experimenting. I was assuming that the fonts folder was for loading fonts which could then be called from an epub. That's how I originally tested it, and it didn't work, and I was going to give it a much more thorough test "later". I thought it was a case of not having specified the path to the font properly.

As to the other bit, yep, I've experimented with that, and it works a dream. So much so that the epub version of my book has fully accented pinyin, whereas the Kindle version (mobi which doesn't support embedded fonts) has to use unaccented pinyin.

Pinyin, for those who don't know, is a way of expressing chinese - and some other languages - using western characters with accents to indicate the tonal pronunciation.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
I was assuming that the fonts folder was for loading fonts which could then be called from an epub.
I read somewhere that you can actually do it that way, but you have to know the path and name of the Fonts folder from within the Linux OS on the device, and include that in the CSS at each instance a font is called. I don't know Linux, and I don't remember the syntax, I'm sorry.

The downside of that method of course is that then your formatting isn't portable. Better to have the font embedded in the file itself.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
Santo
Santo doesn't litterSanto doesn't litter

Device: iriver Story (EB02)
Hi James_Wilde,

if you prefer fonts loaded in "font" folder of your Story to embedded fonts in epub file, change the paths in stylesheet.css in this way:

before:
PHP Code:
@font-face {
font-familyserif;
font-weightnormal;
font-stylenormal;
srcurl(fonts/Your_Font_Regular.ttf);
}

after:
PHP Code:
@font-face {
font-familyserif;
font-weightnormal;
font-stylenormal;
srcurl(res:///mnt/MOVIFAT/font/Your_Font_Regular.ttf);
}

It is only start of the part, which defines fonts, but you can clearly see, that the only change is in "src:" line, the second one is adressing font folder of your Story.
These lines define "normal" regular font, I also define bold, italic and bolditalic fonts (and place all four ttf or otf files in the "font" folder)
Santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #15
James_Wilde
Guru

Thanks, Santo, that got you all the Karma I can give, even before I try it out.