Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 08-16-2022, 12:45 PM   #1
bookimp13
bookimp13 began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2019)
eReaders that group by author

I've given up on CC, I love it to bits but I can no longer sync with it for some reason.

Is there an ereader android app that will read my epub folder? To be clear I'll save to disk from the Calibre program (with metadata imbedded) and then load that epub folder onto my SD card. I'm not putting anything on a cloud or want to access the books wirelessly. (I could also do this with the Calibre folder if it's helpful, but not the CC folder as I can no longer add to it)

The part that I miss desperately about CC is the group by author on the side. The only reader I've found that comes close is ReadEra which at least clumps by author.

Paid is fine as long as I can tell it will work before purchase.
bookimp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:04 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I use Librera Pro, but there is also a free version called (not surprisingly) Librera. In it's library view I have the option to list by Author / Series / Genre / ...

It then displays a screen with one button per Author / Series etc.

I transfer my data to the device using Calibre Sync connecting to a locally run calibre-web server. I know you don't want a server, I expect that Librera would also work with your existing folder.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:15 PM   #3
bookimp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I use Librera Pro, but there is also a free version called (not surprisingly) Librera. In it's library view I have the option to list by Author / Series / Genre / ...

It then displays a screen with one button per Author / Series etc.

I transfer my data to the device using Calibre Sync connecting to a locally run calibre-web server. I know you don't want a server, I expect that Librera would also work with your existing folder.

So I tried Libera and maybe I missed something but it didn't seem to group at all. I was just a wall of book covers. I see that there's a pull down on Pro for Author and Series, but is that just a button per author or series? ReadEra does that for free. I'm more looking for a side bar with all the A authors etc, or an A button.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:26 PM   #4
bookimp13

For people who don't use CC, something like this.

https://ibb.co/rbZJRRT
Old 08-16-2022, 08:05 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I just reinstalled the non pro version.

When I select Library from the top menu, I see the 3 horizontal lines, a box that contains Find and finally another box that has Date a Sync graphic and 3 horizontal bars.

When I click the 3 horizontal bars I can then select List, Condensed, Grid, Book cover, Author, ....

Selecting Author then changed the library view to just a list of Authors. Selecting a given author lists all books by them.

Attachment 195911Attachment 195912Attachment 195913

Last edited by PeterT; 08-16-2022 at 08:28 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:46 AM   #6
bookimp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I just reinstalled the non pro version.

When I select Library from the top menu, I see the 3 horizontal lines, a box that contains Find and finally another box that has Date a Sync graphic and 3 horizontal bars.

When I click the 3 horizontal bars I can then select List, Condensed, Grid, Book cover, Author, ....

Selecting Author then changed the library view to just a list of Authors. Selecting a given author lists all books by them.

Attachment 195911Attachment 195912Attachment 195913
Yes, that works for me too. It's just not what I'm looking for. Unrealistically I want something that was set up like Calibre Companion. I have so many authors having to scroll through them all would be a nightmare, so I've always loved the grouping by the first letter of their last name that CC does.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:42 PM   #7
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookimp13 View Post
Yes, that works for me too. It's just not what I'm looking for. Unrealistically I want something that was set up like Calibre Companion. I have so many authors having to scroll through them all would be a nightmare, so I've always loved the grouping by the first letter of their last name that CC does.
Hey ,

A few readers have been using BookFusion as a alternative to Calibre Companion. The beauty is that we also have an inbuilt reader for EPUBs and PDFs, however you can still use the Open With functionality to open your eBooks with another reader if you prefer.

Is this an interface that you are looking for? You will be able to quickly find books by Authors or Tags.

We have iOS, Android and Web Apps to give you access to your collection on any device along with integration into Calibre . More at https://www.bookfusion.com/reading/calibre

Let me know what you think.

PS: Founder at BookFusion. Always looking for feedback and suggestions.

Last edited by skillachie; 08-17-2022 at 09:33 PM.
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android 11, calibre comanion, ereader apps