Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
redbird
redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
Why have more than one device?

I'm new to e-reading and have noticed that many people have two or more devices listed (not including computers or cell phones). What's the benefit of having more than one e-reader?
redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I don't know, they like them?. At one point, I owned 4 Mustangs.

But more likely one had a feature that the others don't. Some are more portable. Some support epub and thus libraries, while you have the Kindle which supports Amazon (the biggest e-book seller)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
I'm new to e-reading and have noticed that many people have two or more devices listed (not including computers or cell phones). What's the benefit of having more than one e-reader?
Format support.

For example, I have a Sony 505, and am considering a Kindle 3 and have no plans to get rid of the Sony if I get the Kindle because the Kindle won't read my existing Sony library of ePubs and LRF(LRX) without conversion and it's not worth the hassle of stripping and converting every book - especially the ones that are already on the Sony.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur
Daephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-600, iPod Touch
For me, it all started when I found out that I could use my iPod Touch as an ebook reader. I'd wanted one of the Sony Readers for quite some time, but I didn't have the money for it. So I made do with the iTouch, and was actually pretty happy with it. I built up a nice little library there. When I got the Sony Reader for Valentine's Day, I didn't see the point of replicating the library across two devices-- and in truth, I actually enjoy some of the features on the iTouch reading apps-- so I bounce back and forth between the two, keeping a few books going simultaneously on each. Also, I'm more apt to have the iTouch in my pocket when I'm out somewhere, with a few minutes downtime... so I get a fair amount of reading done on each.
Daephex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I have similar sentiments as Daephex. Love my iTouch for multi functions including ebook reading, email, games and contacts information at the ready. Read most books on my Kindle for the larger size and recently upgraded my K1 but just can't part with my old friend.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I don't use my Sony anymore due to the rather poor screen, but I lend it out with a few books on it to friends who may be interested. Eventually I'll probably give the Sony away and get another Pearl-based reader for lending to friends.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
redbird
redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
These reasons make a lot of sense to me. I especially like Leep's comment about "can't part with my old friend." I think of favorite books as old friends, so why not an e-reader?
redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #8
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Upgrading when something better comes along. My new Sony PRS-350 (arrived today) is faster, smaller, lighter, has more memory, a better display, is better in almost every way than my PRS-300.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Gadget-lust, don't want to part with things I enjoy even if a better one is available, but most importantly, there still isn't a reader that fulfills 100% of my reading desires. But the readers I do have, together, come close.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:06 AM   #10
Geyer
Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Clie, Sony Reader 300, iPod Touch, Kindle Fire, Nexus 7 2013
Different features. My original reader, a Sony Clie, and my iPod Touch are lightweight, fit in any pocket, and can be read in the dark. My Sony Reader can go a couple of weeks without needing to be recharged, so it's great for traveling or any situation where I have a long time to wait. The Reader is easier to handle and read while I'm on a treadmill at the gym, while the iPod is handy for web browsing at wi-fi hot spots. I like having options.
Geyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I only have one main device (at a time---when I got the Kindle I sold the Sony) but I have other devices which can read books because I use them for other things. I can technically read on my iPod Touch (but I don't, I only use it for music and games). I also can read on my iPad, and I do use it for Zinio magazines (and very occasionally, a pub domain freebie if I am bored and feel like downloading something on the fly). But I prefer to pleasure read on the Kindle. The other devices I bought for other purposes (the iPod Touch is my mp3 player and it was free with my computer, the iPad is my work device and has all my teaching stuff on it). So just because I *can* read on them, doesn't mean I do
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #12
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Some have a tablet or dedicated reader at home, but also read on their phone. Perhaps one spouse uses one and while the other uses something else. Some want to tie in with both Amazon and B&N. Some list old devices they no longer use.

But, you think this is bad? You should go onto an Android forum. Those guys have two or three of the latest phones. They choose which phone to take today like some women choose purses or shoes.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Format support.

For example, I have a Sony 505, and am considering a Kindle 3 and have no plans to get rid of the Sony if I get the Kindle because the Kindle won't read my existing Sony library of ePubs and LRF(LRX) without conversion and it's not worth the hassle of stripping and converting every book - especially the ones that are already on the Sony.
I would imagine that if format support is the issue then a Jet book would be what you want, seems to support darn near everything.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Well, I have two.......but one is the K1, and like Leep, I can't part with it. Its sitting on a shelf waiting to be 'loved' again...
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I would imagine that if format support is the issue then a Jet book would be what you want, seems to support darn near everything.
Doesn't support Amazon. Not sure if it supports the Overdrive DRM that comes on library books?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote