Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-14-2021, 08:53 AM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
>You may like Bookview, but trust me, you will be a better, more accomplished person if you learn to work in Code View. Bookview really was a crutch. Yes, it made Sigil popular, in some ways, but

I don't understand the affection people seem to have for Book View. To me, Preview seems far better and makes Sigil proof against those who would mess up the html by editing in Book View rather than switch to Code View.
Oh, puhleeze. C'mon, you know the affection people have for Calibre and for Kindle Create? Res ipso loquitur. The less you have to know, to use something, the more popular it is.

To wit: smartphones, the most misnamed thing in history. The epitaph for the world will eventually be "there's an app for that!"

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #32
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think we get canceled today if we include Latin in our posts.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:49 AM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I think we get canceled today if we include Latin in our posts.
Yeah, it's probably elitist.

Hitch
Old 06-14-2021, 03:54 PM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'm tempted to comment in Greek or Irish. Or even ancient Ugaritic which was the only sane cuneiform.

But the WHOLE POINT of Sigil is the code view and the code editing, if only using the Book view, then one is better using Wp -> docx -> Calibre.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:59 PM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The script is the easy bit, the actual language is harder.

It's a myth that an infinite number of monkeys and typewriters will turn out Shakespeare as they favour a small subset of letters. Oppositely complexity in layout and formatting in Code View, because you can, may detract from the actual content.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'm tempted to comment in Greek or Irish. Or even ancient Ugaritic which was the only sane cuneiform.
Show-off! I mean, wanna bet you're the only Irish speaker here?

Quote:
But the WHOLE POINT of Sigil is the code view and the code editing, if only using the Book view, then one is better using Wp -> docx -> Calibre.
Honestly, Word--Docx (if needed)-->filtered HTML-->Sigil works a treat too. All anybody needs to do, for simple books, is use bloody styles and headings. It continues to boggle me, some 12 years on now, that people haven't figured that out.

Quote:
The script is the easy bit, the actual language is harder.
Yeah, I'll bet.

Quote:
It's a myth that an infinite number of monkeys and typewriters will turn out Shakespeare as they favour a small subset of letters. Oppositely complexity in layout and formatting in Code View, because you can, may detract from the actual content.
How d'ya know? Do you have an infinite number of monkeys slamming away there, buddy? :-)

Hitch
Old 06-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Show-off! I mean, wanna bet you're the only Irish speaker here?
I don't even read Irish, but one of my kids is native level proficient, one good and one not bad. The youngest one went to a different primary school and only learnt how to pronounce the written words. Which is mostly impossible for English only speakers.

Quote:
How d'ya know? Do you have an infinite number of monkeys slamming away there, buddy? :-)
A zoo tried all their monkeys as they were curious. Basically they all preferred the same small range of letters. Worse than clueless people picking passwords.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:20 AM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I don't even read Irish, but one of my kids is native level proficient, one good and one not bad. The youngest one went to a different primary school and only learnt how to pronounce the written words. Which is mostly impossible for English only speakers.
Good for him/her. I think it's great. My great-great Granddad insisted that his kids speak Irish, and the next gen too, but then, alas, t'was lost.

Quote:
A zoo tried all their monkeys as they were curious. Basically they all preferred the same small range of letters. Worse than clueless people picking passwords.
Yabbut, see? NOT an infinite number of monkeys. Just...a large handful of monkeys. Who's to say that the Chimpan-Shakespeare isn't out there?

Hitch
Old 06-15-2021, 09:22 AM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Honestly, Word--Docx (if needed)-->filtered HTML-->Sigil works a treat too. All anybody needs to do, for simple books, is use bloody styles and headings. It continues to boggle me, some 12 years on now, that people haven't figured that out.
Most people use Wordprocessors as "glass typewriters" that allow navigation and backspace.

It's a stereotype on TV-Cinema people backspace deleting huge chunks of text. But I've seen people do it. And most don't even know styles exist.

I re-educated several using ONE file for ALL the correspondence of many years, people that knew how to use filing cabinets.
I mean even on CP/M and prior to DOS 2.11 (or whatever), you could have multiple files.

I'm not sorry I don't teach IT or install or support it since 2005.