Attachment 186921

Christian Casey, wordcount= 37,777
Attachment 186922
Thank you very much! I will test them!
SirBeardAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:36 AM   #947
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
U / V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
try

John Madsen, wordcount=42,182
Attachment 186921

Christian Casey, wordcount= 37,777
Attachment 186922
Thank you very much.
From what little I've checked, both have practically the same definitions. And like my Gaffiot 2016 Latin-French dictionary (unfortunately a big PDF, not one which I can call up from the book, or read from the Libra - I have to use the Forma), they distinguish Us and Vs, so do not recognize "uersibus" for instance.
And I am annoyed with my few latin books, which substitute most Vs with Us, while when they annex a vocabulary, they use Vs like the dictionaries do.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:23 AM   #948
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
And like my Gaffiot 2016 Latin-French dictionary (unfortunately a big PDF, not one which I can call up from the book, or read from the Libra - I have to use the Forma)
uncomfortable

try
dicthtml-la-fr.zip
Dictionnaire Latin-Français par Félix Gaffiot (Lat-Fra)
wordcount=68,584
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:12 AM   #949
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Dictionaries' list

AlPe, I think the dictionaries' list at the first page is now updatable
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #950
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
uncomfortable

try
Attachment 186942
Dictionnaire Latin-Français par Félix Gaffiot (Lat-Fra)
wordcount=68,584
Thank you very much!
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:04 AM   #951
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Index of Custom Dictionaries for Kobo eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Do you have firmware 4.24.15676 installed? If so, dictionary stuff has changed quite a lot in preparation for the new Kobo dictionaries due to be released tomorrow Oct 1st.

You might like to consider this approach:
  • Connect Kobo to PC via USB
  • Move all your custom dictionaries out of subdirectory .kobo/dict and into subdirectory .kobo/custom-dict
  • Rename your custom Chambers dictionary to dicthtml-Chambers.zip
    Rename your custom Websters dictionary to dicthtml-Websters.zip
  • Safely disconnect Kobo and reboot. The reboot is important.

After the reboot you'll have 2 new entries in the dictionary drop-down:
- dicthtml-Chambers.zip
- dicthtml-Websters.zip
and you'll never need to worry again about your custom dictionaries being overwritten during a sync.
Hello,

I've been procrastinating making my custom dictionaries work since last Fall, and finally got around to it today. My dictionaries were sitting in .kobo/custom-dict with their original archive names. They never imported, so I followed your naming convention exactly and rebooted. Now I see the dictionaries listed as you describe, but they don't work. "No definition found. Try another dictionary". They're even listed in the "Manage dictionaries" page in Settings. I've examined the zip files and they're nested dicthtml.zip files with html docs inside. They don't seem corrupt. I can't see what I could be doing wrong. Got any suggestions?

~Dˢ

Last edited by Cootey; 05-12-2021 at 04:13 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:08 AM   #952
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Hello,

I've been procrastinating making my custom dictionaries work since last Fall, and finally got around to it today. My dictionaries were sitting in .kobo/custom-dict with their original archive names. They never imported, so I followed your naming convention exactly and rebooted. Now I see the dictionaries listed as you describe, but they don't work. "No definition found. Try another dictionary". They're even listed in the "Manage dictionaries" page in Settings. I've examined the zip files and they're nested dicthtml.zip files with html docs inside. They don't seem corrupt. I can't see what I could be doing wrong. Got any suggestions?
You did do the reboot (power off/power on) as specified in the bolded instructions in your link, didn't you?

Which dictionary did you have selected when you took that screenshot? My copy of the Chambers1908 free English dictionary doesn't include the word brownstone so your screenshot isn't surprising, if that's the one you had selected.

However brownstone is included in both the default Kobo English and my copy of the custom free Websters1913 dictionary. See below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dict_kobo.png
Views:	202
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	187085   Click image for larger version

Name:	dict_webster.png
Views:	194
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	187086  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:25 PM   #953
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You did do the reboot (power off/power on) as specified in the bolded instructions in your link, didn't you?
Indeed. Power off. Power On.

Quote:
Which dictionary did you have selected when you took that screenshot? My copy of the Chambers1908 free English dictionary doesn't include the word brownstone so your screenshot isn't surprising, if that's the one you had selected.

However brownstone is included in both the default Kobo English and my copy of the custom free Websters1913 dictionary. See below.
That is funny! But a fluke. Words like failure, future, and life are also not found with both Webster & Chambers. I don't recall which of the two side-loaded dictionaries was selected at the time of the screen shot, but it wasn't the default English dictionary.

Considering that I had these dictionaries working before the internal dictionary engine was updated last Fall, there must be something configured incorrectly? I have Nickel Menu installed. Ultra Manga Reader… Images in the screensaver folder… I don't know what else to say. The dictionaries show up installed in Settings. If I disable them, my Kobo properly removes them from the custom-dict folder. However, they don't work on any book that I've tried.

Update:
I uninstalled Nickel Menu, but no luck. Got any other suggestions?

Last edited by Cootey; 05-13-2021 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:00 AM   #954
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Update:
I uninstalled Nickel Menu, but no luck. Got any other suggestions?
I don't think NickelMenu is the problem. I, and many others, also use it but no-one's ever reported their custom dictionaries no longer work.

Other thoughts...
  • Is the Kobo default English dictionary working correctly?
  • Does your Kobo directory structure look something like the attached screenshot? I use Windows.
  • What format is the book? epub, kepub, other? What's your Kobo firmware version?
  • Is it possible the book you're using is stuffed full of soft hyphens? That would stop both dictionary and search functions from working properly. Try a different epub or kepub.
  • Have your custom dictionaries become corrupt? Have you ever un-zipped then re-zipped them? If you send me a link to your Chambers/Webster zips I could try them on my Kobo to rule that out. And/or I could send you a link to the Chambers/Webster zips that I'm using and you could try those.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dict_dir_struct.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	187103  
Old 05-14-2021, 01:43 AM   #955
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
I don't think NickelMenu is the problem. I, and many others, also use it but no-one's ever reported their custom dictionaries no longer work.
Interesting. Since I saw no change in behavior with the removal of NickelMenu (as posted in my update), then it's probably not at fault.

A lot of these were already answered in my original and follow up posts, but here they are in one place:
  • Is the Kobo default English dictionary working correctly? YES
  • Does your Kobo directory structure look something like the attached screenshot? I use Windows. YES (I use MacOS, but the Kobo linux directory structure is the same)
  • What format is the book? epub, kepub, other? What's your Kobo firmware version? I TRIED EPUB AND KEPUB 4.26.16704
  • Is it possible the book you're using is stuffed full of soft hyphens? That would stop both dictionary and search functions from working properly. Try a different epub or kepub. I TRIED MULTIPLE EBOOKS.
  • Have your custom dictionaries become corrupt? Have you ever un-zipped then re-zipped them? If you send me a link to your Chambers/Webster zips I could try them on my Kobo to rule that out. And/or I could send you a link to the Chambers/Webster zips that I'm using and you could try those. THEY DIDN'T SEEM CORRUPT WHEN I UNARCHIVED THEM THE OTHER DAY, BUT YOUR LAST SUGGESTION IS A GOOD ONE. I'LL TAKE YOU UP ON IT.

I've noticed other issues, however. For instance, I had screenshots enabled before I removed NM, but now I cannot disable that setting. I've loaded the config and set it to false twice since removing NM, verified that the setting is set back to false, but upon reboot screenshots are still set to true.

I've deleted books remotely, which always worked before, but ghosts of them remain on my Kobo. I've corrected my account twice, but that doesn't touch sideloaded books. When I select one of these vestigial ebooks, the Kobo Clara crashes. Even though the books are not there, I still have to carefully select the three dots to remove them (otherwise the book is selected and kaboom).

I'm thinking of nuking it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

If after a factory reset, I *still* have problems with the dictionary, I'll definitely have you look over those files and try out yours.

I've never had a Kobo misbehave quite so badly before. Something must be corrupt. Frankly, I blame Ultimate Manga Reader which crashed my Kobo so numerously last weekend, I had to disable it so that I didn't accidentally select it again.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-14-2021 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:54 AM   #956
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Interesting. Since I saw no change in behavior with the removal of NickelMenu (as posted in my update), then it's probably not at fault.

A lot of these were already answered in my original and follow up posts, but here they are in one place:
  • Is the Kobo default English dictionary working correctly? YES
  • Does your Kobo directory structure look something like the attached screenshot? I use Windows. YES (I use MacOS, but the Kobo linux directory structure is the same)
  • What format is the book? epub, kepub, other? What's your Kobo firmware version? I TRIED EPUB AND KEPUB 4.26.16704
  • Is it possible the book you're using is stuffed full of soft hyphens? That would stop both dictionary and search functions from working properly. Try a different epub or kepub. I TRIED MULTIPLE EBOOKS.
  • Have your custom dictionaries become corrupt? Have you ever un-zipped then re-zipped them? If you send me a link to your Chambers/Webster zips I could try them on my Kobo to rule that out. And/or I could send you a link to the Chambers/Webster zips that I'm using and you could try those. THEY DIDN'T SEEM CORRUPT WHEN I UNARCHIVED THEM THE OTHER DAY, BUT YOUR LAST SUGGESTION IS A GOOD ONE. I'LL TAKE YOU UP ON IT.
Did you try a search of the dictionary? I don't think you mentioned this, but, can be done without opening a book. Tap the search icon, choose dictionary and the desired dictionary and search for a word. If that doesn't work, then it probably is the dictionary file.
Quote:
I've noticed other issues, however. For instance, I had screenshots enabled before I removed NM, but now I cannot disable that setting. I've loaded the config and set it to false twice since removing NM, verified that the setting is set back to false, but upon reboot screenshots are still set to true.
I don't know how NickelMenu does this. I know there is also a patch, so maybe it is happening in some way like that.
Quote:
I've deleted books remotely, which always worked before, but ghosts of them remain on my Kobo. I've corrected my account twice, but that doesn't touch sideloaded books. When I select one of these vestigial ebooks, the Kobo Clara crashes. Even though the books are not there, I still have to carefully select the three dots to remove them (otherwise the book is selected and kaboom).

I'm thinking of nuking it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

If after a factory reset, I *still* have problems with the dictionary, I'll definitely have you look over those files and try out yours.

I've never had a Kobo misbehave quite so badly before. Something must be corrupt. Frankly, I blame Ultimate Manga Reader which crashed my Kobo so numerously last weekend, I had to disable it so that I didn't accidentally select it again.
All that sounds like a corrupt database. By "corrected my account", do you mean the "Repair your Kobo account" in settings? That is mainly fixing issues with purchased books. I shouldn't go near sideloaded books. And it probably doesn't do anything if the database is corrupted. Or it might, but, the fixes probably won't get saved to the database properly.

Signing out of the account and back in usually fixes it. That recreates the database. And factory reset should definitely fix it, but, is usually overkill. Though you sound like you might be in the mood to do just that If you do a factory reset, do it from the Developers options or the external method. These wipe the root partition and reinstalls the factory firmware. The method from the Device information doesn't do that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:11 AM   #957
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did you try a search of the dictionary? I don't think you mentioned this, but, can be done without opening a book. Tap the search icon, choose dictionary and the desired dictionary and search for a word. If that doesn't work, then it probably is the dictionary file.
I wish I had thought to do that before. It's not something that occurred to me. In my factory reset Clara HD, I searched for the word "book", which the default English dictionary defined with aplomb, but the two imported dictionaries declared "No definition found". I suppose the dictionary files could be damaged, even though they seem to be compressed correctly. I unzipped them and there's not much to them except a dicthtml folder with html files inside.

Quote:
I don't know how NickelMenu does this. I know there is also a patch, so maybe it is happening in some way like that.
I uninstalled NM by following the directions and sticking a file called "uninstall" in the NM folder, but NM remained installed. I had to resort to turning off the Kobo in the middle of booting to force uninstall NM. Something was hinky.

Quote:
All that sounds like a corrupt database. By "corrected my account", do you mean the "Repair your Kobo account" in settings? That is mainly fixing issues with purchased books. I shouldn't go near sideloaded books. And it probably doesn't do anything if the database is corrupted. Or it might, but, the fixes probably won't get saved to the database properly.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I tried it (twice), but as I stated above I didn't expect it to touch the sideloaded books. You have confirmed what I observed since the Kobo was misbehaving so badly, I couldn't be certain what was happening.

Quote:
Signing out of the account and back in usually fixes it. That recreates the database. And factory reset should definitely fix it, but, is usually overkill. Though you sound like you might be in the mood to do just that
Haha Yes, I realized I could do that, but figured something was corrupt on my Kobo, so I wanted to be thorough, and there wasn't even a need to launch into orbit.

Quote:
If you do a factory reset, do it from the Developers options or the external method. These wipe the root partition and reinstalls the factory firmware. The method from the Device information doesn't do that.
Now this is interesting. I didn't know this. I (obvi.) used the method from device information. I didn't realize the dev factory reset was a deeper reset. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-14-2021 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:36 AM   #958
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
  • Have your custom dictionaries become corrupt? Have you ever un-zipped then re-zipped them? If you send me a link to your Chambers/Webster zips I could try them on my Kobo to rule that out. And/or I could send you a link to the Chambers/Webster zips that I'm using and you could try those.

After doing a factory reset from the developer options, I set my Kobo Clara HD up, logged into Overdrive, and downloaded my books from Kobo. Then I redownloaded the dictionary files from here ☞ https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...bster%27s+1913

Next, I renamed them with dicthtml- as a prefix and stuck them in the custom-dict directory.

Then I powered my Kobo off, then powered it back on.

Websters 1913 and Chambers 1908 show up as dictionaries in the dictionary settings and when searching for a word using the magnifying glass on the home page. Neither dictionary can find any words.

I'm going to bed. I may launch my Clara HD into space next.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-14-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:01 AM   #959
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
After doing a factory reset from the developer options, I set my Kobo Clara HD up, logged into Overdrive, and downloaded my books from Kobo. Then I redownloaded the dictionary files from here ☞ https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...bster%27s+1913

Next, I renamed them with dicthtml- as a prefix and stuck them in the custom-dict directory.
I downloaded both the custom dictionaries from your above link and installed them. Both of them work OK for me.

This is a bit of a long shot, but in the interest of leaving no stone unturned...

I did notice that both downloaded files are a "zip inside a zip". The actual dictionary is the inner dicthtml.zip file. This inner zip is the one which needs to be extracted then renamed then installed.

I only mention this because you said you were using a Mac. Now I must confess I know less than zero about how Macs work but over the years I have read various posts on MR which imply that Macs do "strange auto-unzipping things".

P.S. I'm now officially out of ideas.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:11 PM   #960
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
I did notice that both downloaded files are a "zip inside a zip". The actual dictionary is the inner dicthtml.zip file. This inner zip is the one which needs to be extracted then renamed then installed.

I would normally say that Macs don’t automagically unzip things unless you set them up that way, but recently I discovered that Apple Files (the iCloud file viewer app for iOS) automagically unzips files if I double tap them. Hmm. Convenience, meet Security Flaw.

However, that aside, I never unzipped the dictionary files and renamed the inner dicthtml.zip. In fact, the original files sat in my custom-dict directory as downloaded from that link ages ago. For years they worked just fine as nested zip files, but from what you’re saying, since the dictionary update, they can no longer be nested? I’ll try it out. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Cootey; 05-14-2021 at 07:26 PM.

Tags
kobo dictionaries