Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #1
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Touch, Kindle, Nook Touch
Question Is It Possible to Create a Second Distinct Library?

Hello:

I've got a whole lot of books (> 2,000) that I haven't got time to actually catalogue and I would like to create a second, completely distinct library so that I can at least search it.

Said another way, I would like to have two links to Calibre (Windows); one link opens Calibre with my standard set of libraries, the second link opens Calibre with this extra library without reference to the first. The reason for doing this is so as not to bloat my normal library database.

Does this make any sense at all? If so, can I do it and if so, how would I go about it?

Thanks in advance.

Sparky
TheArtfulDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
You don't need two calibre instances. You can create an additional library (handled from the same calibre) and move the books you don't want in your normal library to this new one. In this way, you only have to switch between libraries for changing from one to other .

There is no problem with this situation, I have more than 10 physical libraries (virtual libraries is another matter, that I don't think it's the proper way for the situation you describe).
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Touch, Kindle, Nook Touch
Hi, Terisa:
The reason I thought a separate instance of Calibre would be better was because I thought Calibre would have to keep track of ALL of the information it juggles for both libraries. My current Calibre has a number of different libraries, while this second one would handle books that are right now simply in a file in my Cloud.

Sparky
TheArtfulDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger View Post
Hi, Terisa:
The reason I thought a separate instance of Calibre would be better was because I thought Calibre would have to keep track of ALL of the information it juggles for both libraries. My current Calibre has a number of different libraries, while this second one would handle books that are right now simply in a file in my Cloud.

Sparky
The only track it has is the name of the library, nothing else (I'm lying, the common json for gui and so on). Furthermore, you cannot have more than a calibre instance in a computer, you would need a normal instance and a portable one.

Anyway, databases are isolated in each library, so no problem with that.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger View Post
Hi, Terisa:

Sparky
Only the per User configuration is common (the stuff in the preferences folder).
Per Library stuff (custom columns...) is stored in the DB. So when viewing the Library in the GUI, is the only time it comes into play.

BUT...
The content server uses the Configuration folder. If your Calibre has multiple Libraries in the Quick Switch List and your goal was to hide specific libraries, that won't work as desired. The Content server shows all libraries unless you use the advanced sharing over the net Login rules
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert