Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #1
PeterOo
PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.

Device: Pocketbook 840
Inkpad1 random garbled screen

I have a pocketbook 840/Inkpad 1 for almost 2 years (so almost out of warranty).
Since a few weeks the screen sometimes is completely garbled or almost blank when I turn a page or when the device turns itself off (showing the book title page).

I can see the screen responds to the buttons and the screen. After a few or sometimes tens of 'page turns' the screen suddenly is OK again and ever as crisp as it should be. It also 'fixes itself' if I turn pages with the touch screen, hardly touching the screen. Pressing the screen or device body will not invoke a garbled screen (or fix it for that matter).
It can take days or minutes before the problem turns up again.

The first two images show the problem, the third is when the screen is suddenly OK again. I stayed OK until it turned itself off again.

I set full page refresh to every page, but that has no effect it seems.

Has anybody seen this problem before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0785.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	164226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0786.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	164227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0787.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	164228  
PeterOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I haven't noticed anything like that on my Inkpad 1. How is the battery life on your device? I wonder if you have an issue with the battery not providing enough power for the screen. Do you see this problem while reading when the device is charging? Anyway, it is likely a hardware issue of some sort if you haven't updated the device recently. It might be a good idea to send it back before the warranty expires.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2018, 03:31 AM   #3
PeterOo
PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.PeterOo is that somebody.

I must say I do not track the battery life. I can still use it intensively for several days, or leave it off for weeks without a problem. The battery was at 84% last time it happened. Plugging it into a charger does not fix the problem when it arises. Not sure that means it is not the battery.

I will contact pocketbook to see what they think.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
PeterOo

Just an update. My problems became progressively worse until the screen just remained a garbled mess, just a few weeks before the Pocketbook warranty would expire..
I contacted Pocketbook who pointed me to their rma site. After sending in my inkpad 1 to fixxIT (free of charge) I received a new Inkpad 3 with again a 2 year warranty!

Now that is what I call service!!
Old 09-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Since you have used them both, how do they compare? Is the Inkpad 3 a big improvement over the Inkpad 1?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #6
PeterOo

The increased speed is very nice, for instance when changing font size. Pinch to zoom is still not fast enough to be useful though.
Screen looks a bit sharper, mainly because of the screen finish I think, which does make it slightly more prone to reflections.
I have the light color set to almost white and turned off the auto features.

I really liked the click-on cover and the swipe sensor for light intensity.

Overall it is an improvement (mainly speed and less missed page turns), but I would not buy an Inkpad 3 if my Inkpad 1 or 2 was still functioning.
But when you do, the warranty service is amazing!