Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-19-2018, 06:29 AM   #1
larysa
Zealot
larysa began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini 4
word into character

If i want word into special symbol (example “ “)
“timer”
Or another example
<<timer>>

how to?
tanxs!
larysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by larysa View Post
If i want word into special symbol (example “ “)
“timer”
Or another example
<<timer>>

how to?
tanxs!
Your question is a bit unclear. If you want to know how to insert special characters, here's how to do it:

1. Calibre Editor: Edit > Insert Special Character

2. Sigil: Insert > Special Character

Last edited by Doitsu; 05-19-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
They both also have icons on their toolbars to insert special characters. Sigil's looks like Omega (Ω), Calibre's looks like book pages with an 'A' and a Japanese (ス). Or you can just copy/paste from some other source.

Sigil's list of available special characters is currently limited to the more commonly used and more commonly supported characters. I have heard that might be expanded in a future release.

Calibre's list is quite extensive but you have to make sure fonts are available that will support the selected character.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:05 AM   #4
larysa
Zealot

This question is about calibre.
Yes, i know from calibre - edit - insert character, but if i want insert a double character into my word ex “timer” on only one shot... how to do this??
On edit - insert i must: insert “ first and insert “ after my word... I want insert this 2 character after select my word... see insert tag... it’s possible this?
Old 05-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
In Sigil you can do this easily with clips. I do not know if Calibre has a similar function.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre has a much more powerful feature, called snips: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edit.html#snippets
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:09 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre has a much more powerful feature, called snips: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edit.html#snippets
Out of curiosity, in what way are Calibre Editor snippets more powerful than Sigil clips?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:43 AM   #8
larysa
Zealot

I want (or search, or i wish...) one function similar to insert tag (customizable):
select word (or phrase) then click and insert my personal character (ex “…” or «…») to beginning and to end of my selected word (or phrases).
If this it’s not present on calibre now, please explain me valid example to insert this character with snippets function.... (I don’t have understand snippets function!)
Old 05-21-2018, 06:10 AM   #9
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Useful information:

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/snippets.html
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Out of curiosity, in what way are Calibre Editor snippets more powerful than Sigil clips?
Many ways, for instance, they support placeholders that you can quickly jump between to fill in common data. For example when inserting a link tag you can have the cursor positioned inside the href immediately after inserting to quickly type in the filename and then press Ctrl+J to jump to after the tag to type in the link text.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #11
larysa
Zealot

@ jbacelar
tanxs, I’ve see this link but I don’t understand.... please explain me how to add “…” or «…» to text selected...
with snippets or with other system... now it’s very frustrating when i have one word and want to add character: position the cursor at the beginning, insert character, then go with cursor at end and insert new character...

Last edited by larysa; 05-21-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #12
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
@ jbacelar
please explain me how to add “…” or «…» to text selected...
OK.

To create your own snippets go to Edit → Preferences → Editor settings → Manage snippets in the editor. And simply click the Add snippet button.

Name: Double angle (or whatever you prefer)
Trigger: d (or whatever you prefer)
Template: «${1*}»
File types: All
Click OK

Now to use it on the code:
1- Select the text you want
2- Press Control+J
3- Type d
4- And press Control+J again

And it is already
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #13
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
@ jbacelar
tanxs, I’ve see this link but I don’t understand.... please explain me how to add “…” or «…» to text selected...
with snippets or with other system... now it’s very frustrating when i have one word and want to add character: position the cursor at the beginning, insert character, then go with cursor at end and insert new character...
For example after defining a (( snippet as follows:

Click image for larger version

Name:	quote.png
Views:	194
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	164061

You can
1) Select the text to be quoted in a paragraph,
2) CTRL-X to place it on the clipboard,
3) Type (( CTRL-J to invoke the snippet which will generate « »,
4) Type CTRL-V to insert the clipboard inside the smart quotation marks and,
5) CTRL-J to reposition the cursor after the quotation.

EDIT ^ jbacelar's post crossed mine, ...and offers an even simpler solution.

Last edited by PoP; 05-21-2018 at 01:41 PM.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:51 AM   #14
larysa
Zealot

Oh yesss!
Tanxs to everybody for your reply!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #15
larysa
Zealot

Ok work fine, but anyway it’s more simple (and fast) insert character from normal mode...
I hope on future release of calibre the possibility to insert character with text selected (similar to insert tag on selected text).
Regards