Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
Question Reading HTML ebooks from Calibre

Hi everyone

I've only just started using Calibre, so this is definitely a n00b question. Sorry, but I couldn't find the answer in the FAQ, Manual or this forum.

How do I read an HTML ebook from Calibre?

When I import a single HTML file into Calibre, it creates a zip file. Often that HTML file has others with it in a directory, so they are probably zipped with it. This is fine for storage, but I can't work out how to read it. Anytime I click on the number next to it, or on View, Calibre just creates another zip file.

I can convert the HTML files into EPUB, so that's good, but it would also be useful to be able to read the HTML directly. Can that be done?

Thanks for your help.

Clytie
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
HTML book

You don't need calibre to read an HTML book. Use whatever browser you fancy, IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera by choosing File, Open File.

Calibre is made primarily for organizing and converting between different formats. It has a viewer so you can see how your conversion is doing, rather than for reading.

I don't have an iphone, so I don't know what program is used for that if you are wanting to view the book on your iphone.

Last edited by mrmikel; 05-04-2010 at 09:28 AM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clytie View Post
How do I read an HTML ebook from Calibre?
select book, hit "V" for View.

Quote:
When I import a single HTML file into Calibre, it creates a zip file.
Yes. html often has multiple files, so calibre puts them all inside a single file, for storage. It unpacks them, as needed, for viewing.

Quote:
Anytime I click on the number next to it, or on View, calibre just creates another zip file.
I'm not sure what "clicking on the number next to it" means, but check the Preferences|Interface option. You can use calibre's internal viewer, or your own browser. If you have the internal viewer turned off, then calibre will hand the file off to Windows, and whatever you have set there will handle it.

It sounds like you may have the internal viewer off.

Quote:
it would also be useful to be able to read the HTML directly. Can that be done?
Yes
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Go to preferences->interface and select to use the calibre viewer for te ZIP format.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote