Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
nhimclc
nhimclc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help: DR1000 frozen or dead?

My Iliad finally gave up after 5 years. Since I had so much stuff on the Iliad that I had to buy another Irex to access these files. I bought this DR1000 used and it worked for more than a month. But now it's frozen, not sure why. My computer does not realize it when it is connected, the charging light does not come on, and the screen still have the last image. When I press the reset button, the green (home) button comes on for a few minutes and the back of the reader becomes very hot. But that's it. It will not reboot.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Any help is appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
nhimclc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I've once found this advice on this forum, maybe it helps:
Quote:
Your problem can be a consequence of a deep discharge of the battery. In this case a normal charge cannot be solve. Infact the device must be turn on to charge the battery, but you cannot turn it on to charge the battery...

Try this procedure, it's works on most cases (if the battery is still good)
1) connect to your usual USB power
2) after 10 minutes, press the reset button for AT LEAST 30 seconds. Use a timer to check this minimum time, because 30 seconds are very long!
3) The device must turn on. In not, wait 10 minutes and repeat point 2) It may needs many 10 minutes cycles before starting.
4) when in charge, leave it for almost 6 hours, even the charge led will switch off.
5) before disconnect from power press again the reset just a moment to reboot the device.
but unfortunately I've only copied the content, not the address of this post. I guess a search through this forum can bring you the help you need.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
nhimclc

Thanks, Billi, for such a quick help. I followed the instruction but it unfortunately does not solve the issue. When I disconnected and pressed the reset button, the green lights of both the home button and the charging light went on for about half an hour. The poor device became very very hot. But then both lights went off. That was it. Now the the reader will not turn on again even when I press reset. I also notice the battery sign is kind of *broken* (click here to see the image)?
What do you guys think? Thanks!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Your battery icon looks fine to me. I think your problem might be your battery having reached its end-of-life. If that's it (of course I can't guarantee it) you should be able to find a replacement (just dig around a bit in the forum, any 1200/1300mAh battery with an adequate form factor should do) for maybe $10, so I would try that first anyway.
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
nhimclc

Thank you, Mr.Warper. I will try replacing the battery.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Did it work?
Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
nhimclc

No, unfortunately it doesn't . Do you have any other idea? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #8
MrWarper
Zealot

Not really, other than motherboard replacement. Sorry

An immense problem for digital reader users (let alone users of those that are no longer made) is that everything is so tightly integrated that even relatively straightforward problems (i.e. a broken card reader) lead to MB replacement most of the time.

That said, DR1000 motherboards should not be especially hard to find yet. Contact me if necessary, I may be able to help.