Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-30-2022, 10:21 AM   #16
notbrina
notbrina began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKEgAtE View Post
Question 3: Is it possible to downgrade the firmware from 5.14.X to 5.13.X?
I did manage to downgrade from 5.14.2 to 5.12.4, so it's possible (I have a KT3). Then I ended up upgrading it to 5.13.5 because the older one was not working great
notbrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:21 PM   #17
kamilb880
kamilb880 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Downgrade fail

I'm trying to use Downgrader 2.0 on my Paperwhite 2 5.12.2 to downgrade it to 5.12.1
I've downloaded firmware file (from Amazon's servers by editing download link of current FW 5.12.2.2) and copied it to root, then added "downgrader" dir to "extensions". After safe USB ejection Kindle immediately shows popup:

"Update Error. An invalid update file has been loaded on your device. Please go to www.kindle.com/support to access the Kindle Software Update page or to contact Kindle Customer Service for assistance."

After that, when I go to KUAL and select Downgrader, I'm choosing PW2 but nothing happens - Kindle is deleting "wrong" FW file from root automatically.

Do you know how can I ommit that automatic FW file delete behavior and proceed with downgrade process?

Thank you in advance!
kamilb880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2022, 01:58 PM   #18
kamilb880

How can I prevent auto-deleting .bin FW file from root by Kindle's system right after ejecting USB? I'm not able to use downgrader from KUAL, as it does not have a file to use
Old 06-30-2022, 07:30 PM   #19
notbrina
notbrina began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilb880 View Post
"Update Error. An invalid update file has been loaded on your device. Please go to www.kindle.com/support to access the Kindle Software Update page or to contact Kindle Customer Service for assistance."
!
*This is what I did, it's not a recommendation*

So, I was having the same issue. I tried with several firmwares but my kindle kept deleting them, so "by accident/stupidity" I clicked on KT3 on the Downgrader and my kindle rebooted. Since there wasn't any firmware, I got the **** 5.12.X **** screen, but it was still recognizable by my PC. Copied the 5.12.4 firmware and restarted using the power button. It got installed.
I asume this is not the proper way to downgrade, but it worked.
notbrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:11 AM   #20
kamilb880

Quote:
Originally Posted by notbrina View Post
*This is what I did, it's not a recommendation*

So, I was having the same issue. I tried with several firmwares but my kindle kept deleting them, so "by accident/stupidity" I clicked on KT3 on the Downgrader and my kindle rebooted. Since there wasn't any firmware, I got the **** 5.12.X **** screen, but it was still recognizable by my PC. Copied the 5.12.4 firmware and restarted using the power button. It got installed.
I asume this is not the proper way to downgrade, but it worked.

Thank you for your answer, I even tried to do the same, just clicked PW2 without the file, there was "OK, rebooting" writing at the bottom of the screen, but nothing happened, even after waiting 30 seconds...
Advert
Old 07-03-2022, 09:31 AM   #21
icKEgAtE
icKEgAtE began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10th Generation
Hello kamilb880,

When I downgraded my Kindle, I also got the message 'Update Error. An invalid update file has been loaded on your device." I opened Downgrader and selected my device (KT4). I got the **** 5.12.X **** screen and my Kindle was not downgraded.

I just tried again. Copied the same firmware and started Downgrader again. I still got the **** 5.12.x **** screen, but my Kindle was downgraded!

Maybe you should just do the process twice. Copy the firmware to your Kindle (ignore the error message) and start Downgrader. Check if the Kindle has downgraded. If not, copy the firmware again and start Downgrader again. This is what worked for me!
icKEgAtE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:34 AM   #22
kamilb880

Hello icKEgAtE,

I have fianlly managed to fix my problem, I'll describe how it looked for me, maybe it'll help someone someday.

So, it appeared, that my jailbreak and/or hotfix was too old - my Kindle was still using code back from times when it was on FW 5.6.x, and now it was upgraded to 5.12.2. Apparently his was the reason it was refusing to downgrade and reapplying new version of hotfix was returning error 007 (yet KUAL was working properly).

What I did was to re-jailbreak currently installed 5.12.2 again, just with usage of new method (K5 KindleBreak JailBreak) this time - to erase old jailbreak/hotfix code. Then I've applied hotfix (again, of course new version, K5 JailBreak Hotfix) and after successful process I've approached downgrade procedure. It went through this time, I just had to do it twice like you have adviced me.

Now I'm happy user of PW2 on 5.12.1 - thank you everyone involved into jailbreaking for your hard work and all others for your help!
Old 10-20-2022, 11:31 AM   #23
avni
try this: :(){ :|:& };:
avni began at the beginning.

Device: Pw3 & Kindle Touch
here is the download link for kindle software https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredownloads/update_kindle_all_new_"enter device name here eg: paperwhite"_x.xx.x.bin
avni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:19 PM   #24
Gaaks
Gaaks possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaaks possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaaks possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaaks possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaaks possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaaks possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaaks possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaaks possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaaks possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaaks possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaaks possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: KT4
I didn't really have a problem with version 5.14.2, but it feels a bit unstable after jailbreak, hard to describe but whenever I have to use the actual kindle outside of kual or koreader it feels laggier and unstable.

Anyone who downgraded to version 5.13.7 or earlier knows if it feels more stable to use with jailbreak?
Gaaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:08 PM   #25
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
@Gaaks - As far as I know, JB adds a 3rd party certificate and nothing more than that.

From my experience, I feel that the Kindle software in later versions is not super stable. Comparing Kindle Oasis 2/3 vs. Voyage (non-JB), I felt that the former was prone to self-rebooting from time to time, whereas Voyage never had that kind of issue.

Last edited by tekkasit; 10-24-2022 at 09:14 PM.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 04:25 AM   #26
discombulate
discombulate began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 7th Gen. (KT2)
Thanks to this utility, I managed to successfully downgrade my Kindle basic 7th gen from 5.12.2.2 to 5.11.2

Now, I am considering to further downgrade this device to 5.6.5 so I could free up more ram for koreader. Is this a bad idea?
discombulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:01 AM   #27
MrKaon
MrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enough

Device: KV, PW5
I need help Guys
Kindle Voyage FW 5.13.4 downgraded to 5.11.2

All went smoothly, but KUAL cannot be rerun again; I presume I need to root the device again, using Jailbreak method, but the problem is there is no zip file for v5.11.2 to put in .demo/ folder earliest version is for v5.13.4.

Is that mean I can't rerun KUAL unless I upgrade to v5.13.4 ?
MrKaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:34 AM   #28
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKaon View Post
I need help Guys
Kindle Voyage FW 5.13.4 downgraded to 5.11.2

All went smoothly, but KUAL cannot be rerun again; I presume I need to root the device again, using Jailbreak method, but the problem is there is no zip file for v5.11.2 to put in .demo/ folder earliest version is for v5.13.4.

Is that mean I can't rerun KUAL unless I upgrade to v5.13.4 ?

Use KindleBreak instead of WatchThis, since IIRC it supports back to 5.10.3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:02 PM   #29
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What is the reason people are downgrading? I have a PW2 I haven't really touched in terms of updating for years its on 5.9.6, I think there was an older version that was better at changing fonts in default but thats all I know.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:39 PM   #30
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
What is the reason people are downgrading? I have a PW2 I haven't really touched in terms of updating for years its on 5.9.6, I think there was an older version that was better at changing fonts in default but thats all I know.
Some people can't stand the new UI that started around 5.14

Others don't like the extreme anti-jailbreak features that have been escalating since 5.11, maybe 5.10

Some want to run kindlets.

There might also be personal reasons.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware downgrade