Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-30-2022, 01:56 PM   #76
kamilb880
kamilb880 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
How can I prevent auto-deleting .bin FW file from root by Kindle's system right after ejecting USB? This is the reason I'm not able to use downgrade method...
kamilb880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:06 AM   #77
airotkiv
airotkiv began at the beginning.

Device: KV + KOA3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilb880 View Post
How can I prevent auto-deleting .bin FW file from root by Kindle's system right after ejecting USB? This is the reason I'm not able to use downgrade method...
Hi,

in my limited experience, if it's deleted it was never supported to begin with. If you are sure you obtained the fw for the correct device, I'd recommend trying one closer to your current one and doing the downgrading in steps.
airotkiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:56 AM   #78
iangaringer
iangaringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by airotkiv View Post
A quick add-on: I was able to revert to the old-old UI after all with help from Katadelos' reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...sions_on_5142/

(it's most probably also here on MR as well but I could not find it.) So, a shiny, waterproof KOA3 with a nice, clean, ad-free interface! all,
How were you able to keep it on the old UI, other people in the thread and myself were having a problem with it just changing back on it's own even when not connected to internet.
iangaringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:07 PM   #79
airotkiv
airotkiv began at the beginning.

Device: KV + KOA3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iangaringer View Post
How were you able to keep it on the old UI, other people in the thread and myself were having a problem with it just changing back on it's own even when not connected to internet.

I think that happens on 5.14.1. I'm now on 5.13.7, after two downgrade-steps where, after modifying the text file, it remained old-old.
airotkiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:38 AM   #80
kamilb880
kamilb880 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by airotkiv View Post
Hi,

in my limited experience, if it's deleted it was never supported to begin with. If you are sure you obtained the fw for the correct device, I'd recommend trying one closer to your current one and doing the downgrading in steps.
Hi airotkiv,

The FW file was good, it was downloaded stright from amazon's servers. The problem was that I was trying to downgrade from 5.12.2 to 5.12.1, there was not much I could choose from regarding "one FW closer to current one"

Yet, I have fianlly managed to fix my problem, I'll describe how it looked for me, maybe it'll help someone someday.

So, it appeared, that my jailbreak and/or hotfix was too old - my Kindle was still using code back from times when it was on FW 5.6.x, and now it was upgraded to 5.12.2. Apparently his was the reason it was refusing to downgrade and reapplying new version of hotfix was returning error 007 (yet KUAL was working properly).

What I did was to re-jailbreak currently installed 5.12.2 again, just with usage of new method (K5 KindleBreak JailBreak) this time - to erase old jailbreak/hotfix code. Then I've applied hotfix (again, of course new version, K5 JailBreak Hotfix) and after successful process I've approached downgrade procedure. It went through this time, I just had to do it twice like user icKEgAtE has adviced me in other topic.

Now I'm happy user of PW2 on 5.12.1 - thank you everyone involved into jailbreaking for your hard work and all others for your help!
kamilb880 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware downgrade