Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Favorite Reader Accessories?

My favorite is the external USB Lithium Ion battery pack which allows extended reading sessions and recharging the reader internal battery virtually anywhere. I have several from Anker all the way from a 3000 mAH tubular shape mini to a 26,000 mAH one. Just got a 5000 mAH Motorola version from Amazon for under $10. A Lithium Polymer battery flat pack.

The Ankers seem to be very reliable as I have never had one fail and they use premium batteries from Panasonic and LG.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For older readers some form of light is good too. The Sony PRS-T3 case is the best IMO though the lighted Kindle 4/5 and Touch cases are also good. All the lighted Kindle factory accessory cases and the PRS-T3 case use the internal reader battery to power the light.

The Sony PRS-T3, even with the lighted cover, is the lightest and smallest 6" Eink reader I am aware of too.

Last edited by Richwood; 03-08-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Advert
Old 03-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I find those Anker batteries indispensable when traveling particular overseas. The big ones will even charge tablets. Kinda wish the tubular ones had built-in LED flashlight, though.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I find those Anker batteries indispensable when traveling particular overseas. The big ones will even charge tablets. Kinda wish the tubular ones had built-in LED flashlight, though.
I have a 3200 mAh RavPower lipstick battery pack about 5 inches long with a built-in flashlight.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I have a 3200 mAh RavPower lipstick battery pack about 5 inches long with a built-in flashlight.
Had one of those, too (got it on sale for $6.99), but I misplaced it and last time I checked on Amazon, they were already discontinued. Will have to check again to see if they have a new model to replace it. It really was super convenient.
Advert
Old 03-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #6
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

I have a 15000 mAh Anker, a discontinued model, with a flashlight.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #7
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Had one of those, too (got it on sale for $6.99), but I misplaced it and last time I checked on Amazon, they were already discontinued. Will have to check again to see if they have a new model to replace it. It really was super convenient.
Still listed by Amazon but the reviews list a very high failure rate. The below one seems to have much better reviews. All these battery packs are totally dependent on the quality of tthe batteries used and they can vary from very high quality to total junk.

https://www.amazon.com/Smallest-3200...ith+flashlight

Last edited by Richwood; 03-10-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Still listed by Amazon but the reviews list a very high failure rate. The below one seems to have much better reviews. All these battery packs are totally dependent on the quality of tthe batteries used and they can vary from very high quality to total junk.

https://www.amazon.com/Smallest-3200...ith+flashlight
The RAVPower charger/flashlight still listed on Amazon aren't sold by Sunvalley so I'm doubtful of their authenticity and quality control.

Not sure I'd trust that HTGK with charging my expensive smartphone.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:46 AM   #9
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'd really like an external battery, also for my other devices.

My current favourite accessory is my Book Seat. I use it for both my Kindle, tablet and Nintendo Switch (when I have detached the controllers). It's great for when reading in bed or on the sofa. I think it's too big for one a table or desk and have other holders for those situations.

It's fill with foam beads, so it easily adapts to having in on my lap and you can easily adjust the angle that way.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #10
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
My favorite is the external USB Lithium Ion battery pack which allows extended reading sessions and recharging the reader internal battery virtually anywhere. I have several from Anker all the way from a 3000 mAH tubular shape mini to a 26,000 mAH one. Just got a 5000 mAH Motorola version from Amazon for under $10. A Lithium Polymer battery flat pack.

The Ankers seem to be very reliable as I have never had one fail and they use premium batteries from Panasonic and LG.
An accessory for an accessory is a light head that turns any USB power pack into a flashlight too. A couple of versions made in China are dirt cheap on ebay at under $2.00 each with shipping from China or HK. Single output level so very basic lighting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382407382906

https://www.ebay.com/itm/121952089332

There used to be a much more sophisticated version made by XTAR, the UL1. Discontinued so apparently not that popular. Five output levels from 3 Lumens to 180 Lumens and a slow strobe. I have two of them. Hours of light with a decent capacity USB power pack. Still listed but unavailable. Amazon link below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The XTAR UL1 originally cost $14.98 on Amazon and a similar Ravpower RP-FL01 USB light head was $12.99. The Xtar claimed 180 Lumens in turbo mode and the Ravpower was 120 Lumens max. The Ravpower had High, Low and fast strobe modes. I have one of them. Ravpower Listing on Amazon linked to below, again shown as unavailable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Richwood; 03-15-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #11
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

External battery packs are available either as sealed items that include the batteries or as a battery holder for 18650 batteries that you must add the batteries to. Generally for the add your own batteries versions you want to use unprotected 18650 batteries as most protected versions are too long to fit and the protection circuit is included in the pack electronics.

Any 18650 battery that claims a capacity greater than 3500 mAh should be avoided as the maker or seller is lying. Current state of the art is about 3600 mAh absolute max for 18650 batteries. All batteries sold by Mountain Electronics, Illumination Supply and Orbtronic are high quality. Many of those sold by ebay sellers and sold on Amazon the last I checked are not. I have seen 18650 cells claiming capacities up to 6000 mAh or more. No such thing unfortunately. A rule of thumb is if the battery name ends in "fire" it is a piece of junk from a unknown Chinese source. Buyer beware.

The same is true of ebay sellers USB battery packs, the ones with batteries sealed inside. I spotted one that claimed 50,000 mAh capacity in one spot and 500,000 mAh in another on the same listing. Based on listed physical size and price I suspect that it is about 10,000 mAh or less. If you look on Amazon watch the buyer ratings as many of the packs show high failure rates per buyers, a sign of cheap batteries or bad electronics. As is more and more true on Amazon, look and be careful. Let the buyer beware.

Many of the boxes sold without batteries are very inexpensive on ebay and I know nothing about them. I have two bought several years ago, labeled ENB which still work. The maker is now gone it looks like. Below is a link to one of the best add your own batteries versions based on reviews on Amazon. Note too that the removable battery versions also work well as pure battery chargers if you have a 18650 battery flashlight. As Lithium Ion batteries wear out or improve the unsealed units can have their batteries updated, impossible with the sealed units. IMO any of these are unlikely to damage an attached device as their batteries put out 4.35 volts maximum. The boxes contain a voltage boost circuit, that if it fails, is likely to cease boosting the voltage rather than fry the item being charged.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Last edited by Richwood; 03-20-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Wall plug and cord with both lightning and Micro USB ends. Allows me to plug in an Itouch, phone, tablet or ereader into the wall. I keep in my purse for those unplanned ER visits with family members (6-12 hours). If s/he is admitted, I can give them the plug and cord and their device and they are set until I come back the next day.

FWIW, if you have a family member with a tablet in the hospital more than a couple of days, two battery packs work better. Nurse can plug one into the wall and then you can charge your device with the other. No lines stringing across to get in anybody's way.

I'd say a cover is only other accessory I typically use. I have used the lighted feature of the Keyboard Kindle cover maybe 3 times since I owned it, so for me, that was a wasted feature.

Last edited by Tarana; 03-18-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #13
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I'd say a cover is only other accessory I typically use. I have used the lighted feature of the Keyboard Kindle cover maybe 3 times since I owned it, so for me, that was a wasted feature.
I agree with that. I do love my origami cover on my Voyage though, I use the stand feature all the time.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote