Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2018, 07:11 PM   #1
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Digital Music Score

I've been waiting for these -- digital displays for music scores. At $1600, they are expensive, but should lead to larger e-reader displays.

Imagine, no more page turning during concerts -- just a tap gets a nice, lighted view of the next music page. And you won't need a brief case full of over-priced paper scores. Music always cost a fortune because print runs are so small.

It will be very interesting to see where this takes us!

https://www.gvido.tokyo/https://www.gvido.tokyo/
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:15 PM   #2
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
My fear of using an electronic device would be that it wiuld lock up in the middle of a performance.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2018, 06:08 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I don't see any mention of auto page turn?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:25 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I've been waiting for these -- digital displays for music scores. At $1600, they are expensive, but should lead to larger e-reader displays.

Imagine, no more page turning during concerts -- just a tap gets a nice, lighted view of the next music page. And you won't need a brief case full of over-priced paper scores. Music always cost a fortune because print runs are so small.
Why would digital scores be any cheaper? Most of the costs will be in the typesetting, so digital scores would presumably be just as expensive. It strikes me that you need to buy an awful lot of scores to recoop the cost of a $1600 device.

This seems like a solution that doesn't actually have a problem associated with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:50 AM   #5
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Digital scores would be cheaper because of print and distribution costs, just like books and newspapers. But you are right, the cost of the device wouild have to plummet to make this a saving to the consumer.

And 4691MLS, I even travel with 2 Kindles because I'm afraid of malfunction or breakage. It hasn't happened yet, but one certainly wouldn't want it to happen onstage during a performance with a music reader!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2018, 07:54 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't see any mention of auto page turn?
I really don't see how auto page-turn could work. Different conductors can pace the same piece of music very differently. It really has to be manual. One would hope that there would be the option of using something like a Bluetooth page turner, though, for musicians who prefer to use something like a foot pedal to turn the page.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:56 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Digital scores would be cheaper because of print and distribution costs, just like books and newspapers. But you are right, the cost of the device wouild have to plummet to make this a saving to the consumer.
Indeed. My point was simply that printing and distribution form a significant proportion of the cost of a typical book or newspaper, because they (generally speaking) have relatively large print runs, so the cost of typesetting, etc, can be split between a large number of copies. With something with a very small print run, the typesetting cost per copy is necessarily much higher, hence the savings due to digital distribution may well be less than one might anticipate using books as a model.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-30-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:18 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really don't see how auto page-turn could work. Different conductors can pace the same piece of music very differently. It really has to be manual. One would hope that there would be the option of using something like a Bluetooth page turner, though, for musicians who prefer to use something like a foot pedal to turn the page.
I'm not a musician, and I'm not sure of the terminology ...

Even though the pace may be different per conductor, the music sheet calls for some sort of pace. I'm guessing that audio analysis (or even physical people) could detect the changes in pace and adjust.

Or the conductor could specify the pace before the piece starts, and adjustments could be made.

After all, it's only software, so it should be easy.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could use something like an Onyx Bookx Max 2 with a bluetooth page turner to do this. It's going to cost less than $1600. The eInk screen is 13.3".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:

Even though the pace may be different per conductor, the music sheet calls for some sort of pace. I'm guessing that audio analysis (or even physical people) could detect the changes in pace and adjust.

Or the conductor could specify the pace before the piece starts, and adjustments could be made.

That's probably massively over-complicating something to which a foot-pedal (or equivalent) really is a better solution, speaking as a (very amateur) musician myself.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #11
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:

Human musicians don't always want the page turned at the same point before the end of the page. It depends on what's going on in the music at the end of one page and the beginning of the next. The musician needs to be able to control the page turn.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's probably massively over-complicating something to which a foot-pedal (or equivalent) really is a better solution, speaking as a (very amateur) musician myself.
Not being a musician and being very uncooridinated, if I was tapping my foot to the rythm and than had to tap it to change the page, I think it would throw me off.

Bluetooth pedal does seem like a nice fall back, but I'm not seeing pace being a big problem.

They have auto scrolling for lyrics, why not music?
Old 01-30-2018, 09:26 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Not being a musician and being very uncooridinated, if I was tapping my foot to the rythm and than had to tap it to change the page, I think it would throw me off.

Bluetooth pedal does seem like a nice fall back, but I'm not seeing pace being a big problem.

They have auto scrolling for lyrics, why not music?
Because, as the previous poster said, the decision as to when to turn the page is very much a part of the process of playing music. It depends what you're playing, what you're going to be playing next, and lots of other things. If you watch an orchestra playing, you'll see that not everybody turns the page at the same time: the people playing the twiddly bits (that's a technical term ) will probably turn the page later than those playing repetitive or slower rhythms.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
One would hope that there would be the option of using something like a Bluetooth page turner, though, for musicians who prefer to use something like a foot pedal to turn the page.
Scroll down in OPs link. Already has that foot pedal 3 button remote as assessory for $300 . Works wired for more stable operation or wireless.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:50 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What a bargain!