Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2016, 06:27 AM   #1
procyon
copyleft librarian
procyon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
where are notes, hightlights, bookmarks stored

If I delete a side-loaded book from my device, then add it back later, are my notes, etc restored or are they lost when the title leaves the Kindle?

It would seem a simple experiment to try except that I am heavily invested in marking up a title that I must remove temporarily to make space, and I'd rather not lose all of my notes.
procyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:30 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They're stored in the sidecar folder in a file with a ".mbp" extension. If you delete the book, this file will also be deleted. However, notes and highlights are also stored in the "Clippings.txt" file, and they don't get deleted from there. Copy the sidecar folder to your PC before you delete the book, and copy it back again when you put the book back again, and you'll preserve everything.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2016, 06:51 AM   #3
mendesitba
Connoisseur
mendesitba began at the beginning.

Device: KPW, Ipad 2, Note 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They're stored in the sidecar folder in a file with a ".mbp" extension. If you delete the book, this file will also be deleted. However, notes and highlights are also stored in the "Clippings.txt" file, and they don't get deleted from there. Copy the sidecar folder to your PC before you delete the book, and copy it back again when you put the book back again, and you'll preserve everything.
If I delete the highlights from "Clippings.txt", can I recover the highlights in my side-loaded doc if I do what you say (ie. saving the sdr folder and copying it back to kindle when sideloading the doc again).
mendesitba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:18 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendesitba View Post
If I delete the highlights from "Clippings.txt", can I recover the highlights in my side-loaded doc if I do what you say (ie. saving the sdr folder and copying it back to kindle when sideloading the doc again).
Yes, you can.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:26 AM   #5
mendesitba
Connoisseur

Thank you!
Advert
Old 10-11-2016, 10:06 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If you use Send To Kindle to send your side-loaded doc to send to your device (and so it is stored in your Amazon cloud storage), then you can use any recent Fire, or the Kindle app on Android or iOS to Export your 'notebook'.

For some reason, this option is not available on Kindle (even though your notes will be stored there), and it won't work with side-loaded files since the implementation requires syncing notes to the cloud, where a server process gathers them up and sends them as an email attachment to the email address that you use for Amazon.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
mendesitba
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
If you use Send To Kindle to send your side-loaded doc to send to your device [...], then you can use any recent Fire, or the Kindle app on Android or iOS to Export your 'notebook'.

For some reason, this option is not available on Kindle [...], and it won't work with side-loaded files since the implementation requires syncing notes to the cloud, where a server process gathers them up and sends them as an email attachment to the email address that you use for Amazon.
By that does you mean that in the Kindle's mobile apps (fire, android, ios) the notes/highlights can be synced among the apps? but this is not possible to do with Kindle device nor sideloaded documents?
Old 10-31-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
If you use Send To Kindle to send your side-loaded doc to send to your device (and so it is stored in your Amazon cloud storage), then you can use any recent Fire, or the Kindle app on Android or iOS to Export your 'notebook'.

For some reason, this option is not available on Kindle (even though your notes will be stored there), and it won't work with side-loaded files since the implementation requires syncing notes to the cloud, where a server process gathers them up and sends them as an email attachment to the email address that you use for Amazon.
Thanks for illuminating this. Questions:

1) Let's say I have side loaded a file as a AZW3 format to my Kindle Paperwhite and made some highlights. Now I'm done with the book and want to use my Kindle fire tablet to export my notebook. Can this be done? Or because it's a AZW3 format I cannot? I.e. what formats are allowed.. .mobi only? What's the best way of getting highlights off my Kindle paperwhite?

2) Let's say I want to read a book on both my paperwhite and my fire tablet. Will my progress AND my highlights be synchronized across devices?

3) As an aside; where do you folks store all your book notes? As I start to read more, I like taking notes/highlighting passages but I don't want it just go away forever. I find myself reading more sideloaded books so the Amazon highlights feature isn't really an option.

Best,
arooni
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:12 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
Thanks for illuminating this. Questions:

1) Let's say I have side loaded a file as a AZW3 format to my Kindle Paperwhite and made some highlights. Now I'm done with the book and want to use my Kindle fire tablet to export my notebook. Can this be done? Or because it's a AZW3 format I cannot? I.e. what formats are allowed.. .mobi only? What's the best way of getting highlights off my Kindle paperwhite?

2) Let's say I want to read a book on both my paperwhite and my fire tablet. Will my progress AND my highlights be synchronized across devices?

3) As an aside; where do you folks store all your book notes? As I start to read more, I like taking notes/highlighting passages but I don't want it just go away forever. I find myself reading more sideloaded books so the Amazon highlights feature isn't really an option.

Best,
arooni
If you side-load I do not think there is any way to sync notes between devices (I think with calibre ‘ASIN hack’ you can get reading position to sync but have never used that myself).

If you use Send To Kindle and store in cloud then your highlights and notes will be backed up there, and you can export them with any of the tablet apps.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #10
arooni
Addict

Is there any compelling reason to prefer a side loaded AZW3 format over the dual format mobi sent to a Kindle email address?

The only one I can see is that you get the 'document' to appear as a bonafide book on the Kindle. Another one is it seems I can only get real page numbers by using the AZW3 format.

It seems like there are way more upsides to using the mobi format (sync of reading progress and highlights across multiple devices)
Old 11-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #11
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Well it's all subjective.. to me having page numbers (and cover thumbnails) is bigger upside than having sync between multiple devices. But I don't read the same book on multiple devices (I spend maybe an hour a year reading on my mobile :d ), I do all my reading on my Kindle at home at evenings... and I don't highlight (unless I see formatting errors that need fixing).

Sideloading via USB vs "emailing" lets you control books CDE_Type flag and ASIN... and that opens some extra opportunities (that enable extra features PDOCs don't get) like faking your converted book's ASIN to match the same book sold on Kindle Store and thus being able to use "mark book as read on Goodreads".
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #12
arooni
Addict

Seems like the other benefit is the ability to use the xray generator. I think it only works for side loaded azw3 and not side loaded mobi right

Last edited by arooni; 11-02-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Tags
bookmarks, importing, notes