Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 02-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #31
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
(But I be surprised to find any current dictionary accepting weaved as an acceptable alternative to wove.)

Weaved is a legitimate word. See dictionary.com.

I've come across "weaved" at least three times while reading the latest John Grisham book in the last half hour.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #32
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
This I have not yet tried. Thanks for the hint!

Edit: do you mean Kovid's "Fetch annotations"-plugin? The description says it is for Kindle.
The built-in Fetch Annotations should work with Kobo devices as well. It has been a while since I tested it, but I haven't heard any complaints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
O.k. I see, it is a separate plugin.
Yes, that one. It's a lot more flexible than the built-in function.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #33
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
There are certainly regional differences in English.

One of the most grating to British ears is the lack of a 'to' in sentences like "Write me soon."

(But I be surprised to find any current dictionary accepting weaved as an acceptable alternative to wove.)
Merriam-Webster: wove \ˈwōv\ or weaved

There are two different historical verbs here. One is a weak verb from Old English wefan, meaning "to braid or interlace strands". That verb had a typical OE ablaut ending (hence wove).

The other is the Old Norse veifa, to wave or brandish, which gives the sense of “to move from side to side” and was always a strong verb in English (hence weaved).

So etymologically speaking, it should be “he wove a scarf on the loom” but “the car weaved through traffic”. But since the root of both is the same spelling “weave” in English (and the meanings are often blurred to the point of conflation—which one is used in “he weaved the thread in and out of the rings”?), the two have been used interchangeably for centuries, to the point that it's probably not right to call either usage wrong, linguistically.

World Wide Words newsletter expounds.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:12 AM   #34
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Extraordinary. They are two separate words to me. I fully accept weaved is the correct past tense for one meaning, but if you used it about someone having made cloth I'd say you were wrong.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:34 AM   #35
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Extraordinary. They are two separate words to me. I fully accept weaved is the correct past tense for one meaning, but if you used it about someone having made cloth I'd say you were wrong.
You mean for woven cloth or weaved cloth?
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #36
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I edited a whole bunch of scans of books. Find the common words that are in error. There is no easier way, IMHO. Type in "will" and change and FIND NEXT to change the word to "with".

There really is no way to edit without actually reading. I did a whole series and found that there were consistent errors for me to check before I sat down to read. That really helped reduce the time.

What a pain to find something you bought with so many errors. If it was Kobo, they will refund your money. With Amazon, if you report the errors and wait a couple of months, chances are there will be a fix for it (you see it in your CONTENTS and DEVICES area. If after a couple of months it still isn't fixed, request a refund. This is what happened to me when they first issued the ecopy of Lord of the Rings. There were so many errors, I just couldn't stand it any more and returned it. Now, at this point, I can't easily read it anyway, so get my fix with the audiobooks my bro bought.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Speaking of The Lord of the Rings eBooks, if I was to read them, I would first have to find a font (easy to do) to use to replace the graphics with a proper font. Then I could read it. The problem is that the graphics are too small and with a high resolution eInk screen, the graphics would not be all that readable. It would have been better to have an embedded font instead.

This brings up an issue with Amazon. because of the way Amazon does the dual-format, it makes it a lot more difficult to make a KF8 and a Mobi if you want/need to use advanced features of KF8 (advanced means any feature not in Mobi). What happens is you don't get well made KF8. You just get dumbed down KF8 because of Mobi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote