Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
cami712
cami712 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad 3rd gen
TITLE SORTING ON ITUNES AFTER CALIBRE

Hi, i've been searching how to fix this problem I have with my books and hoping someone knows how to do it...

The thing is I'm super obsessive about how I manage my books (epubs) and how the information is sorted... so I use caliber to change the metadata (and always make sure the sorting is the same of author/title) because I hate when a book has "A" or "The" and in the sorting field this is removed or placed last, so I make sure everything is strictly alphabetic... then I do a save to disk and convert in bulk to make sure my EPUBS have now the "fixed/changed" metadata...
Up until now everything is perfect...

But then when I plug my ipad into my computer, and when i add my books it completely forgets the sorting and removes the "A" or "The" for the titles...
I have no idea what am I doing wrong... can someone please help?

I have a huge library (1.554 books) and it's important to me to have them in alphabetic order to find them easily when it's time to read
cami712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It's not clear to me what you are talking about. Do you mean that it's not right in calibre, or it's not right in the reading app you are using? Books haven't been in iTunes for years, they are in the Book app. Is the issue that they aren't right in the Book app?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I'm not exactly sure what the OP is stating either, but it sounds like perhaps the sync to iTunes is not working and the older sync is being used. I've no clue about calibre or syncing of ePubs to iTunes/Books as I use Amazon Kindle books only. Maybe the OP has a really old version of iTunes being used to sync? One old enough to still allow syncing.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
cami712

Sorry I didn’t realized it wasn’t clear.. I believe the problem is in the ipad/itunes..
My itunes is up to date, my ipad is an older version (because is 3rd gen and doesn’t allow new IOS so it has 9.3.6) I know itunes doesn’t have books anymore but when you plug your ipad it still shows them...but the sorting is not alphabetical (which is the change I did on calibre before converting)... i delete everything from my ipad and synch again AFTER converting them on calibre, that’s why I don’t understand why it changes the titles
Old 09-08-2019, 01:32 AM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cami712 View Post
Sorry I didn’t realized it wasn’t clear.. I believe the problem is in the ipad/itunes..
My itunes is up to date, my ipad is an older version (because is 3rd gen and doesn’t allow new IOS so it has 9.3.6) I know itunes doesn’t have books anymore but when you plug your ipad it still shows them...but the sorting is not alphabetical (which is the change I did on calibre before converting)... i delete everything from my ipad and synch again AFTER converting them on calibre, that’s why I don’t understand why it changes the titles
I think we still need more information. Most of us don't even look at itunes for books anymore, because we use other readers, which access the Calibre database... no itunes necessary.

What are you reading *with*? Books? IN which case you may be SOL because Apple does things in Apple's way. If you're unhappy with it, I'd recommend switching from Books to Hyphen, Marvin, or other apps as mentioned in this part of the forum.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
cami712

I have a 1500 some books library, I normally use epubs... since my ipad is an older version it won't even update it's software, so I can't download Kindle because is not compatible with my iOS

I tried hypen and Marvin and they are paid apps (being from Venezuela i cannot download paid apps because of control exchange and $... too complicated) anyway, that's why I continue to use the books app on my ipad... Same thing with using Calibre Companion (is a paid app)...
I tried to search all over the internet with no response...
so I'll just have to deal with my books being not in order on my ipad

Thanks anyway
Old 09-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
lxpose
Connoisseur
lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
You could perhaps look at Mapleread CX which is free

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=276074
lxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Pocketbook is quite good. I think its free but cant be sure because once you buy something, you no longer see the price. Theres also something called epub reader which is either free with ads or you pay for it.

I no longer fret over things not being in the order, or presented, the way I want (I was a dedicated Stanza fan) because now I use Apple's very convenient "open in" and usually access from my dropbox account. It would work just as well from the Calibre OPDS web page on your computer. So open in allows use with any app.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, ipad, sorting, titles