Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-02-2020, 02:22 AM   #1
mtreader
Connoisseur
mtreader began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Nova 2, Kobo Clara
Question Is There a Way to Learn About Forthcoming E-readers?

I want to move up from my 6" Kobo Clara to an 8" reader. Nothing on the market right now checks all the boxes for me and I'm happy to wait a bit, so I'm wondering if anyone publishes news about models slated to debut in 2020.

I'm open to Kobo, Pocketbook or some Android units (no Amazon products). Has anyone seen such info?
mtreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:34 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Stick around & go to the Forums of the Readers you are interested & Watch for threads about New Devices.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2020, 03:29 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
What the previous poster said.

Usually such info is released only a little bit before the device itself. No one knows about devices-to-be several months earlier.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:40 AM   #4
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Probably at least partially because of the so-called "Osborne Effect"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect
(Although in the case of Amazon, that sort of thing isn't likely to be enough to kill their business)
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Usually as soon as any Mobileread member hears of an upcoming new reader they will post about it in the news forum. Of course then there will be a long thread full of speculation about what features the reader will have and what's wrong with it, or why it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread......
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #6
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Rumors abound, sometimes for years. Think color e-ink and Kindle Voyage 2.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #7
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
and the reason these rumors abound is that goodereader makes stuff up then when it doesn't happen. doubles down on it
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:29 PM   #8
mtreader
Connoisseur

Thanks. I'd never heard of the Osborne Effect, though I figured official announcements would be scarce. I didn't know if info often got leaked and posted anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Probably at least partially because of the so-called "Osborne Effect"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect
(Although in the case of Amazon, that sort of thing isn't likely to be enough to kill their business)
Old 01-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtreader View Post
Thanks. I'd never heard of the Osborne Effect, though I figured official announcements would be scarce. I didn't know if info often got leaked and posted anywhere.
The tech world tries to forget about Adam Osbourne and the *two* lessons he taught the industry. The perils of preannouncements is actually the lesser lesson. The more important one, which is constantly ignored, is his mantra of "Adequacy is sufficient."

Most companies succumb to their marketing depts (and pundits's) desire for long feature checklists and keep adding things to their product, usually of marginal benefit, just to justify a new model, often at a higher price. Meanwhile, out in the real world, the goldplating features do nothing for sales because customers just want the thing to do the basics, just well and reliably.

This is prevalent in ebooks where things like color changing backlights and water resistance are touted over usability and software stability. Marketing doesn't consider reliability to be as important as being able to brag about "new and improved". Most ereaders don't come any closer to water than a fridge door and the alleged merits of colored frontlighting are dubious at best.

There's a lot of carping over ereader "stagnation" because most ereaders do just the one thing: display ebooks. As long as they do that well, they'll sell. The rest is just marketing oneupmanship, of limited value to most buyers.

Adequacy is Sufficient.
More companies need to remember that.
(Amazon's Lab126 does, though.)

As for early reports of non-Amazon readers, the Digital Reader Blog does a decent job:

https://the-digital-reader.com/posts/

Also, the ebook reader blog:

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-04-2020 at 07:45 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #10
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I like very much the "colored frontlighting" of my Kobo Aura One. I don't know if it is really better for sleeping but I change it very often.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
I like very much the "colored frontlighting" of my Kobo Aura One. I don't know if it is really better for sleeping but I change it very often.
I agree. I will listen to anyone that says the orange is no better than the blue/white light. They are possibly correct.

But when reading in a completely dark room, the orange glow is less harsh than the blue/white one.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #12
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I know a lot of people here hate the site but goodereader.com is pretty good about announcing upcoming devices.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I know a lot of people here hate the site but goodereader.com is pretty good about announcing upcoming devices.
After somebody else reported it first.
They're very good at tracking ebook/ereader news sites, not as good at giving credit where it's due.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:00 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
the problem with Goodereader is they announce readers that never materialize. They've announced a new Kobo Mini and I want to say they've announced a Voyage 2 more than once.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #15
mtreader
Connoisseur

Interesting stuff, fjtorres, thanks for sharing. I'd rather save a few bucks than have a waterproof reader, but the features that add key value to me (as a heavy non-fiction and article reader) are highlighting / ability to export a passage and integration with the Pocket app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The tech world tries to forget about Adam Osbourne and the *two* lessons he taught the industry. The perils of preannouncements is actually the lesser lesson. The more important one, which is constantly ignored, is his mantra of "Adequacy is sufficient."

Most companies succumb to their marketing depts (and pundits's) desire for long feature checklists and keep adding things to their product, usually of marginal benefit, just to justify a new model, often at a higher price. Meanwhile, out in the real world, the goldplating features do nothing for sales because customers just want the thing to do the basics, just well and reliably.

This is prevalent in ebooks where things like color changing backlights and water resistance are touted over usability and software stability. Marketing doesn't consider reliability to be as important as being able to brag about "new and improved". Most ereaders don't come any closer to water than a fridge door and the alleged merits of colored frontlighting are dubious at best.

There's a lot of carping over ereader "stagnation" because most ereaders do just the one thing: display ebooks. As long as they do that well, they'll sell. The rest is just marketing oneupmanship, of limited value to most buyers.

Adequacy is Sufficient.
More companies need to remember that.
(Amazon's Lab126 does, though.)

As for early reports of non-Amazon readers, the Digital Reader Blog does a decent job:

https://the-digital-reader.com/posts/

Also, the ebook reader blog:

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com

Tags
android, kobo, pocketbook