Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-28-2019, 01:00 AM   #1
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Alf's DeDRM - Security Issues???

Has anyone gotten macOS security alerts when trying to run Apprentice Alf's standalone DeDRM app (not the Calibre plugin but the standalone app)?

This thread on Apprentice Harper's GitHub caused my brows to furrow:

Quote:
It seems like the app requires quite a bit of access to different things, like calendar, contacts, finder, etc. Is this normal? I use a 2015 MacBook running Mojave 10.14.15.

... I just got another one ... Now it wants access to system events. It seems to want access to something else each time I open it.

... I also use the Calibre plug-in with no issues.
I have never gotten security alerts on High Sierra or earlier.

Just wondering if this experience is typical of Mojave.

Thanks
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:12 AM   #2
aNullValue
aNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Libra H2O; iPad Pro 10.5
Alf's DeDRM - Security Issues???

I’m running Mojave, 10.14.5. While MacOS does throw a prompt for permissions every time DeDRM runs, they’re logical — the only ones I’ve ever seen have been for Finder and System Events. I’ve read elsewhere that the DeDRM app could be added to the list of accessibility applications that are permitted to control your computer, and that’ll suppress the messages... but I’d rather just see the messages and click through them. I’m a fan of keeping things as locked down as possible.
aNullValue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:28 AM   #3
asleyam
Enthusiast
asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.

Device: kindle voyage, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post

I have never gotten security alerts on High Sierra or earlier.

Just wondering if this experience is typical of Mojave.

Thanks
Security/privacy controls are more robust in Mohave, it is normal for almost all third party apps to trigger permissions requests if required to access anything outside the immediate user home. DeDRM (if allowed) will end up in the System Preferences>Security and Privacy>Privacy>Automation. This allows apps to control other apps and provides access to documents and data in those apps, and perform actions within them. Needed to access the kindle user library etc.
asleyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:29 AM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNullValue View Post
I’m running Mojave, 10.14.5. While MacOS does throw a prompt for permissions every time DeDRM runs, they’re logical — the only ones I’ve ever seen have been for Finder and System Events ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by asleyam View Post
Security/privacy controls are more robust in Mohave, it is normal for almost all third party apps to trigger permissions requests if required to access anything outside the immediate user home. DeDRM (if allowed) will end up in the System Preferences>Security and Privacy>Privacy>Automation. This allows apps to control other apps and provides access to documents and data in those apps, and perform actions within them. Needed to access the kindle user library etc.
I don't really understand what needing permission for Finder and System Events means, or what potential harm could occur , but if the permissions requests are expected and benign, all is good. Thank you!

Last edited by odamizu; 07-28-2019 at 03:08 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote