Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast
spitfire_ch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Lightbulb Annotation Converter: from Sony Readers to Mantano or Adobe Digital Editions

EDIT: A new version has been released. You can now export your annotations to Mantano Reader, which is a heck lot more useful than ADE

Hi,
since I have been using my Sony PRS-T1 (and now T3) for heavy annotating of text books, and the Sony readers are now a dying species, I have been looking for a way to export my work to another reader. I couldn't find a tool doing that, so I decided to program one myself.

Currently, the AnnotationConverter can import annotations (highlights, notes and bookmarks) from Sony PRS-T1-3 devices and export them to Adobe Digital Editions (2-3) or Mantano Reader (Lite or Premium).

I am just a very amateurish programmer, so the GUI looks accordingly, please forgive me

As a next step, I plan to implement export capability to Mantano reader, as it is a very powerful reader and uses a similar system to store annotations like the Sony readers. But that may take a while.

The ReadMe-File containing the instructions is attached.

The executable and sourcecode can be downloaded from GitHub:
https://github.com/spitfireCH/Annota...ses/tag/v1.0.0

Best regards
- spitfire

P.S. Credits and a big thank you to the SQLite Development Team
Attached Files
File Type: txt ReadMe.txt (5.3 KB, 458 views)

Last edited by spitfire_ch; 12-14-2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: new Version: Export to Mantano Reader
spitfire_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:12 AM   #2
canpolat
Connoisseur
canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Xodo
Hi spitfire_ch,

Thank you for sharing your script. I also have a PRS-T1, so I think I will make use of it.

What about pushing your code to GitHub (or a similar service) so that others can benefit and improve your code? And you will learn about Git, most popular version control system in the world (if you don't already know how to use it). If you do so don't forget to use the Visual Studio .gitignore file from here. If you are interested and need some help, just let me know.
canpolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast

Hi canpolat

Thank you very much for your hint. I plan on pushing it to GitHub (as I have witnessed its power on projects by other people), but I haven't got a chance to get into it, so far. I am just at the end of my holidays and I barely managed to get the coding done (although it is a very very small project compared to other stuff I've seen here - but as I said - I am a total amateur + two little kids who eat up most of the time).

Once I get some time again, I will do so. Thanks for the .gitignore file, that would certainly have caused me trouble.

Until it's ready on GitHub, the source code is already available at the second link:
http://l.bitcasa.com/dTFVoN1B
Old 09-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast

Sorry, I looked into GitHub and I think I have to pass for now. Getting into it seems about as complicated as learning C# - an overkill just to share this little tool.
(I already miserably failed at the step of what to do with the gitignore file, I know what the file should do, but have no idea how to install it / include it
Old 09-21-2014, 04:47 AM   #5
canpolat
Connoisseur
canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.

Hi spitfire_ch,

Here is a short tutorial for you:

Prerequisites:
  • Install git on your PC
  • Optional: Install cygwin on your PC (cygwin brings a lot of useful unix tools to your enviroment. If you decide to install cygwin, you can also install git via cygwin and only use the cygwin terminal for all your development purposes)
  • Create a GitHub account.
  • Register your SSH key in Github (instructions)

Instructions:
  • Copy the .gitignore file into the directory where your .sln file is.
  • Then change into that directory.
  • Issue the following command to create a git repository in the directory:
    Code:
    git init
  • Issue the following command to stage the .gitignore file:
    Code:
    git add .gitignore
  • Issue the following command to commit it:
    Code:
    git commit -m "Adding the .gitignore file"
  • Now, you can add your project. Issue the following command (yes, there is a dot at the end):
    Code:
    git add .
  • And commit your project:
    Code:
    git commit -m "Initial import"
  • Now, you have your project committed to the git repository, you need to push it to GitHub. Follow these instructions (starting from step 6) to do so: Adding an existing project to GitHub

This is how I would do it, but AFAIK Visual Studio has some sort of integration with git. You may want to check how that works as well. But at the end of the day, you'll need to learn how Git works and how you can use it. There are millions of online tutorials.

I know it sounds intimidating, so don't feel obliged to follow. If you want to continue with developing software, using a version control system is highly recommended, though
Old 09-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast

Thank you very much. Your tutorial should make the entry a bit easier. I will look into it.

Just one brief question for now:
Do I have to create a gitignore file, paste in the code found on your previous link and then add it? What is the correct location of the gitignore file? I do have one at the following path:
\AppData\Local\GitHub\IgnoreTemplates_65d68c5ad132 c4a7d23a873794e5a35b6fcff4d7\
it just contains VERSION for now. It this the file I have to edit?
Old 09-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
canpolat
Connoisseur

Hi,

The name of the file should be .gitignore (with a DOT in front). This file needs to be in the same directory as your .sln file (AnnotationConverter.sln). And all the commands I listed needs to be issued from within that directory. The path you gave doesn't look like the correct one, but I don't know much about the Windows GitHub application (it looks like you're using that one).
Old 09-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast

I see, so the .gitignore file is set per project, and not a global setting for GitHub. I will try that, thank you!
Old 09-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #9
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast

All right, I finally got some time again and thanks to your highly appreciated help I managed to get the project into GitHub:

https://github.com/spitfireCH/Annota...erter/releases

Last edited by spitfire_ch; 09-28-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
canpolat
Connoisseur

Cool! Thanks for your efforts. Git may be a bit difficult at the beginning, but when you get used to it, you cannot live without

BTW: If you rename README.txt to README.rst I think GitHub will parse it as reStructuredText (headings will be formatted correctly).
Old 09-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #11
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast

Thx for the hint, that's a cool feature
Old 12-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast

Finally, a new version has been added. You can now export your annotations to Mantano Reader
Old 09-23-2015, 12:41 AM   #13
Coldblackice
Pretty cold
Coldblackice began at the beginning.

Device: N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_ch View Post
EDIT: A new version has been released. You can now export your annotations to Mantano Reader, which is a heck lot more useful than ADE

Hi,
since I have been using my Sony PRS-T1 (and now T3) for heavy annotating of text books, and the Sony readers are now a dying species, I have been looking for a way to export my work to another reader. I couldn't find a tool doing that, so I decided to program one myself.

Currently, the AnnotationConverter can import annotations (highlights, notes and bookmarks) from Sony PRS-T1-3 devices and export them to Adobe Digital Editions (2-3) or Mantano Reader (Lite or Premium).

I am just a very amateurish programmer, so the GUI looks accordingly, please forgive me

As a next step, I plan to implement export capability to Mantano reader, as it is a very powerful reader and uses a similar system to store annotations like the Sony readers. But that may take a while.

The ReadMe-File containing the instructions is attached.

The executable and sourcecode can be downloaded from GitHub:
https://github.com/spitfireCH/Annota...ses/tag/v1.0.0

Best regards
- spitfire

P.S. Credits and a big thank you to the SQLite Development Team
Great idea + app!

Is it possible to go "both ways", however? For example, exporting Mantano's highlights/annotations and importing them into Calibre? It's frustrating not being able to keep these in sync.
Coldblackice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #14
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldblackice View Post
Great idea + app!

Is it possible to go "both ways", however? For example, exporting Mantano's highlights/annotations and importing them into Calibre? It's frustrating not being able to keep these in sync.
Thx! I am currently working on "the other way", meaning exporting from Mantano to to Sony. Once this is done (which may take a while), the next step would be two way synchronization.

However, while I love Calibre as a user, I have absolutely no experience in developing plugins for Calibre - nor do I know programming in Python, which is needed to develop Calibre plugins, AFAIK.

Still, if anybody who is experienced in developing Calibre plugins is reading this, I am more than willing to share my findings considering how annotations are stored in Mantano and the Sony T1-3 Readers.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_ch View Post
However, while I love Calibre as a user, I have absolutely no experience in developing plugins for Calibre - nor do I know programming in Python, which is needed to develop Calibre plugins, AFAIK.

Still, if anybody who is experienced in developing Calibre plugins is reading this, I am more than willing to share my findings considering how annotations are stored in Mantano and the Sony T1-3 Readers.
A way to do this to calibre is via the Annotations plugin. You can add support for a connected device with very little calibre coding knowledge. I have looked at adding support for Sony devices. From the database, it wouldn't be to hard, but I don't have a device to test it with.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ade, annotation, conversion, mantano, sony