Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #46
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I used to like Mr. Ringo's books a lot, but some of his recent books have pushed too overt a political agenda for me, unfortunately. You are right, though, the "March to ...." series is excellent. I enjoyed the early "Council War" books, but the later ones - again the politics got too intrusive for me. It's obviously a personal thing.
So not all his books are like this?
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thankfully not. I already gave a specific warning about "Ghost" earlier in the thread. I find it a deeply unpleasant and disturbing book; if ever there was a reason for age ratings on books, "Ghost" is it. It is NOT a book you'd want a young teenager to read. Heck, it's not a book I'd want ANYONE to read without knowing what they are letting themselves in for.

"Ghost" is an aberration; Mr. Ringo has written some extremely good military SF. I just wish he'd leave the (real world) politics out of it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #48
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thankfully not. I already gave a specific warning about "Ghost" earlier in the thread. I find it a deeply unpleasant and disturbing book; if ever there was a reason for age ratings on books, "Ghost" is it. It is NOT a book you'd want a young teenager to read. Heck, it's not a book I'd want ANYONE to read without knowing what they are letting themselves in for.

"Ghost" is an aberration; Mr. Ringo has written some extremely good military SF. I just wish he'd leave the (real world) politics out of it.
Infantile takes on real world politics is my reason for having given up on Larry Niven.

For some reason since (or perhaps even a bit before) he started doing consulting for the Department of Homeland Security, his writing (for me) has gone to the dogs, even if one manages to ignore the simple-minded propaganda aims... Puppeteer Elites being enamoured with ancient Greek culture was quite possibly one of the stupidest thing he has ever written, IMHO.

- Ahi

Last edited by ahi; 10-05-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #49
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The Halo books where pretty good. They are a light read but the story flows well and the action scenes are exciting.

I'm not a real SF fan and found these books to be enjoyable.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #50
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The Halo books where pretty good. They are a light read but the story flows well and the action scenes are exciting.

I'm not a real SF fan and found these books to be enjoyable.

=X=
I found them to be, very clearly, straight out of the game. First person shooters with little character development. The first book or two were fairly good but the series rapidly became boring IMO.

This may be off topic but who do you all think does the best spaceship to spaceship combat?

I have to nominate C. J. Cherryh for her absolutely amazing fractional light speed combat descriptions. I can not imagine how much time and research went into developing the concepts and extrapolating the impacts they would have on the characters. Amazing stuff.

David Weber's fleet actions are pretty special too.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #51
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There's been a very quiet mention of the Bolo stories - let me mention them explicitly.

Originally by Keith Laumer, there are Bolo stories by many authors. Bolos are large 'tanks' with AI controllers partnered with a human commander.

Keith Laumer's original Bolo stories are just about to come out in the November 2009 webcription as The Compleat Bolo - three quarters of the book is currently available in draft form, the full book sometime in the next couple of weeks.

The set of six volumes by various authors, Bolos I through Bolos VI are available, as are the novels by David Weber, Bolo!, and Old Soldiers , three other novels by William H. Keith, Jr.: Bolo Brigade, Bolo Strike and Bolo Rising (this last one due in the December websciption), and even one by John Ringo and Linda Evans, The Road to Damascus which is available in the free library.

http://www.webscription.net/c-32-bol...th-laumer.aspx

All good stuff.
These books demonstrate the difference between master storytellers and authors. Most, if not all, of Kieth Laumer's original stories were masterpieces. Very few of the follow on stories demonstrate anything like his craftsmanship. David Weber's Miles to Go is the only one that comes to mind. William H. Keith's books are just plain odd, some interesting concepts but not really in the Laumer canon IMO.

Last edited by NormHart; 10-05-2009 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Arrrrg, brownies!!!
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:50 PM   #52
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
This may be off topic but who do you all think does the best spaceship to spaceship combat?

I have to nominate C. J. Cherryh for her absolutely amazing fractional light speed combat descriptions. I can not imagine how much time and research went into developing the concepts and extrapolating the impacts they would have on the characters. Amazing stuff.

David Weber's fleet actions are pretty special too.
I second the motion on Cherryh. Too many depictions completely fail to grasp the scale at which the action is taking place, or the speed of the combatants. This is especially annoying in TV and movie scenes which simply transcribe WWII air combat to space. Sorry guys, but they won't be close enough together to see each other, nor will they be traveling slowly enough for your swiveling turret to track them...

Weber is a special case, because he had fun with the physics underlying his space drive to let him have ships of the line drawn up stationery relative to each other and whale away with lasers, grasers, and missiles, in naval tactics out of the Napoleonic Wars.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #53
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Agree Cherryh is the only author who seems to've considered the immutability of objects traveling at near light speed and the consequences that has in armed conflict --- though I'd love to be wrong and to have someone else to read.

William
(who once wrote up rules for starship combat w/ (sort of) realistic acceleration, but could never get a missile to intersect w/ a target when playing and gave up --- it's _hard_ to do, just ask NASA)
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #54
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
So not all his books are like this?
No, they aren't. Ghost and followups in that series are techno-thrillers, not SF, with a protagonist who is not a nice guy, and a fairly jaundiced view of current geopolitics.

Ringo is an ex-paratrooper and sometime conservative newspaper columnist, with a special axe to grind for Islamic terrorists.

The books don't bother me, but I understand why others may have different opinions.
______
Dennis
Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #55
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Thankfully not. I already gave a specific warning about "Ghost" earlier in the thread. I find it a deeply unpleasant and disturbing book; if ever there was a reason for age ratings on books, "Ghost" is it. It is NOT a book you'd want a young teenager to read.
I'm curious. What are you afraid might happen if one did?

Quote:
Heck, it's not a book I'd want ANYONE to read without knowing what they are letting themselves in for.
Fair enough. Ringo apparently got disinherited by his mother after she recommended her son's book to her beauty shop customers, not knowing what Ghost was about...
______
Dennis
Old 10-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #56
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Fair enough. Ringo apparently got disinherited by his mother after she recommended her son's book to her beauty shop customers, not knowing what Ghost was about...
______
Dennis
Literally?

- Ahi
Old 10-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #57
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Y'all seem to be edging closer and closer to discussing your own politics. Not there yet.. But if you feel like you're gonna have to offer your own views, would you consider doing it in the Lounge and leave this person's thread to military sci/fi recommendations? A disclaimer has been posted about certain of Ringo's works. It's been pointed out that they're not all that way.
Thanks
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #58
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Literally?

- Ahi
Yes.
______
Dennis
Old 10-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #59
acemccloudxx
Java Master
acemccloudxx doesn't litteracemccloudxx doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Y'all seem to be edging closer and closer to discussing your own politics. Not there yet.. But if you feel like you're gonna have to offer your own views, would you consider doing it in the Lounge and leave this person's thread to military sci/fi recommendations? A disclaimer has been posted about certain of Ringo's works. It's been pointed out that they're not all that way.
Thanks
Yes, by all means, let's keep this politics free - though appropriate disclaimers about certain books are undoubtedly appropriate.

For example, Ringo's "The Last Centurion" (near future apocalyptic mil-sf) had a plot that I enjoyed very much but it's blatant, flaming anti-liberal ranting was rather annoying. I also find that many of the Honorverse stories contain a rather severe conservative bent (liberals are frequently portrayed as stupid and incompetent).

On another note entirely, I would also like to recommend two series by Elizabeth Moon:

Familias Regnant
Vatta's War

(I haven't tried Planet Pirates yet).
acemccloudxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #60
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
To be fair, acemcloud, if you look at the history the Honourverse is based on, then it's justified, and there are also some evil very conservative characters. And there is a strong and competent Liberal character who's taking a fair amount of prime time now.

It dosn't get jammed in the story (as happens in The Last Centurion, anything Kratman writes and imo from the other side in some of Ken MacLeod's recent works)

Elizabeth Moon's series are good, but...they don't have that much science in them. I'd not recomend them as mil scifi per-se.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote