Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Feature Request: configurable space setting for "Insert blank line" in "Look & Feel"

I use the "Remove spacing between paragraphs" with "Indent size = 0em" in conjunction with "Insert blank line" because I like all of my books to have a full line blank between paragraphs with no indent.

This works nearly perfectly, but with one small annoyance, it always puts the blank line in with size=0.5em, so I have to do a 2 step conversion where I go from whatever format I have as a source to .HTMLZ, then edit the html file to change the margin-top and margin-bottom for the .calibre# class, then convert from .HTMLZ back to .mobi.

Would it be possible to add a "Blank line size" option box on the "Look & Feel" page similar to the one for Indent size so this could be specified by the user and done in one step?

Many thanks
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
I use the "Remove spacing between paragraphs" with "Indent size = 0em" in conjunction with "Insert blank line" because I like all of my books to have a full line blank between paragraphs with no indent.

This works nearly perfectly, but with one small annoyance, it always puts the blank line in with size=0.5em, so I have to do a 2 step conversion where I go from whatever format I have as a source to .HTMLZ, then edit the html file to change the margin-top and margin-bottom for the .calibre# class, then convert from .HTMLZ back to .mobi.

Would it be possible to add a "Blank line size" option box on the "Look & Feel" page similar to the one for Indent size so this could be specified by the user and done in one step?

Many thanks
The REAL Joe
i agree, i'd like that same feature. both an indent setting and a paragraph space setting.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I agree that that would be swell. I like no indent and blank line, but half a blank line would be even better
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In next release.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Wowee!! I feel a massive reconversion coming on.

Thanks
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
In next release.
super
Old 07-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post

Many thanks
The REAL Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i agree, i'd like that same feature. both an indent setting and a paragraph space setting.
Quote:
In next release.
this really is a great addition!! as also is the new 'save the original file' feature.

...and thanks for your development of calibre and your continued development of it as a n open source project.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome
Old 07-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool whoops!

Quote:
this really is a great addition!! as also is the new 'save the original file' feature.

...and thanks for your development of calibre and your continued development of it as a n open source project.
Quote:
You're welcome
whoops! i think i spoke too soon as i've been experiencing a problem that seems to be related to the 'save the original file' feature! when i have an original epub saved then a conversion seems to be using that instead of the new one in the conversion?! the way i work around that effect is to delete the original and then the conversion works as expected.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That is the intended behavior. The idea is that you redo the conversion with the original, changing settings as appropriate. If you want to chain conversions: i.e. use the output of one conversion in another conversion, then you have to delete the original via the formats list in the edit metadata dialog.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Question ok

Quote:
That is the intended behavior. The idea is that you redo the conversion with the original, changing settings as appropriate. If you want to chain conversions: i.e. use the output of one conversion in another conversion, then you have to delete the original via the formats list in the edit metadata dialog.
ok, thought i should report it,
Old 07-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool consider a modification?

Quote:
ok, thought i should report it,
been thinking about this since my last post. would you consider modifying the feature to allow a choice between using the original and the new version?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Go to preferences->tweaks and turn off the saving of the original if you like to chain your conversions.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool it's good

Quote:
Go to preferences->tweaks and turn off the saving of the original if you like to chain your conversions.
thanks, but that's not really my point. i'm talking about an immediate choice from the drop down. sometimes i'd like to do it one way and sometimes i'd like to do it in the other. the feature is great and if you don't agree with the idea of a choice at convert time then i'll get it to work for me with a work-a-round.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I dont really understand the use case for a choice at convert time. Either you are happy with the new epub, in which case you delete the original and the new one is used for all subsequent conversions. Or you are not happy with the new epub, in which case the original will be used, as expected.