Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-25-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
How do you create character names?

I started writing a Tolkien style fantasy novel for my son when he was about twelve. He is now in his thirties with three kids of his own and I'm still writing it.

One of the problems I had was inventing names for the various Dwarves and Goblins etc, so following in Tolkien's footsteps I found a dictionary of Norse mythology which was full of names. There was also a website that translated your name into elvish. Mine was Faelon Hardfarkäl or something.

A friend of mine was writing a thriller involving Ukrainian Gangsters and so went on a Ukrainian baby naming website to find names for his villains, which made it sound more authentic. Well more so than Ivan Roskoff or whatever anyway.

What is your secret to naming your characters?
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
JJ Alleson
JJ Alleson began at the beginning.

Device: One device to read 'em all, and in the market find it.
I just pick 'em up, throw them against the wall; and if they stick - that's it!
JJ Alleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Alleson View Post
I just pick 'em up, throw them against the wall; and if they stick - that's it!
Yes I can see how that might work
Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
In the past, I have named my characters using consecutive letters in the alphabet, to make sure there are no clusters of similar names: Arthur Bell, Clare Dawson, Ed Franks, etc. (I don't think I got to X, Y and Z, thankfully.) I failed to have a similar system last time out, and ended up with several characters whose surnames began with F (using my other method of picking a letter by staring at a keyboard.)

For foreign names, I tend to use sportsmen. Usually I'll mix and match a first name and surname from two people of the same nationality, but I do need to change the name of a Finnish character in my current book because he has exactly the same name as a rally driver.

Made-up languages are harder, and often end up sounding stupid of cliched. I feel it's best to have some sort of model in mind of a real language, to get a consistent feel. Quite a lot of fantasy seems to work like that.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit

That's an interesting way of doing it Doc, never thought of using the alphabet. I'll keep that in mind for my next Roman epic, but knowing me I'll probably get confused and use Sillius Sodus or something.

Languages are definitely hard, but there is so much online these days including websites dedicated to elvish, dwarfish, orkish and rubbish.
Advert
Old 03-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
eBooksgp
Connoisseur
eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Not sure if this will help you but, I've chosen names for Latin meanings... Seemed to work well....
eBooksgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
If you're writing sci-fi or fantasy, you could always go with how George Lucas seems to have done names in Star Wars: punchy names of one or two syllables per word, no middle names. I'd list a few, but I'm sure we all have our favorite characters.

In sci-fi, you can also try adding a serial number or replacing one of the names with it. Thus we can get Izzy 6F, Josie B4 Collins, and 9C Magic.

In fantasy, you can probably ditch the last names if characters aren't part of some noble house (or a house that thinks its noble).
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:10 AM   #8
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
If you're writing sci-fi or fantasy, you could always go with how George Lucas seems to have done names in Star Wars: punchy names of one or two syllables per word, no middle names. I'd list a few, but I'm sure we all have our favorite characters.

In sci-fi, you can also try adding a serial number or replacing one of the names with it. Thus we can get Izzy 6F, Josie B4 Collins, and 9C Magic.

In fantasy, you can probably ditch the last names if characters aren't part of some noble house (or a house that thinks its noble).
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure that Josie B4 Collins would work. Besides I think that was my neighbours name B4 she got married.

Fantasy names always seem to have a surname too: Thorin Oakenshield, Berek Halfhand etc.

It seems that fantasy and sci-fi are easy enough comparatively, but what about real sounding names? I hate those books with names like Brent Thornley or Cassandra Hart

This post is a work of fiction, all characters mentioned are fictional. Any resemblances to persons living or dead is amazingly coincidental.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Nemo View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure that Josie B4 Collins would work. Besides I think that was my neighbours name B4 she got married.
I realized that after I posted it, but figured it was worth keeping.
Quote:
Fantasy names always seem to have a surname too: Thorin Oakenshield, Berek Halfhand etc.

It seems that fantasy and sci-fi are easy enough comparatively, but what about real sounding names? I hate those books with names like Brent Thornley or Cassandra Hart
Tolkien's last names were based on adjectives that either described the character or something the character had done. Thorin Oakenshield had fought at the gates of Moria with an oak branch in his left hand, thus "Oaken shield." Gimli Gloinson was Gloin's son. Gandalf Greyhame had long grey hair. A lot more of his characters have no obvious surname: Oin, Gloin, Thranduil, Aragorn, and so forth. Hobbits are the notable exception; each Hobbit has a surname that actually works like a surname.

Course its been a while since I've read anything of his, so I could be entirely wrong.

Quote:
This post is a work of fiction, all characters mentioned are fictional. Any resemblances to persons living or dead is amazingly coincidental.
You forgot the line about the Shadow Magazine being available at a local newsstand.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
In my work I'm forced to attend a lot of meetings, so when things are slow I'll take the list of attendees and start rearranging letters and syllables. When I start a novel I like to have a list of 30-40 names I can draw from so as to not stop my flow of writing.

I've also done the Latin thing (Latin names just sound good, IMO), and worked with some other name lists for other cultures; Wikipedia actually has some pretty good articles on names that include sample names from a given culture.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #11
eBooksgp
Connoisseur
eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
In my work I'm forced to attend a lot of meetings, so when things are slow I'll take the list of attendees and start rearranging letters and syllables. When I start a novel I like to have a list of 30-40 names I can draw from so as to not stop my flow of writing.

I've also done the Latin thing (Latin names just sound good, IMO), and worked with some other name lists for other cultures; Wikipedia actually has some pretty good articles on names that include sample names from a given culture.
Now you mention it ref: Latin Names. Maybe they are just "sound good" think thats why I went for it.

I like your idea: 'I'll take the list of attendees and start rearranging letters and syllables' - might try that, I always seem to come up with names begining with the same letter which always seems to b 'J'
eBooksgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
I constantly have words going through my mind and I disect them and put them together with other words, then I mangle them a bit and come up with names like 'Tathan' and 'Vevin'.

When that fails, I look up Goth names, which are excellent for fantasy novels. Shayde is one of my favs.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here is one article on this you might find helpful

http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/...-03-05-2.shtml
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
XanderRichards
Forensic shoe polisher
XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Nemo View Post
What is your secret to naming your characters?
The name has to have a certain sound to it. So if I run across a surname which sounds good, I'll bung it in a memo on my 'phone and then think of a first name which goes well with it. But most of all it has to sound real unless I want it to sound odd for a reason.

Cheers,
Xander.
XanderRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I use baby name websites quite a bit. I also like to use the first or last name of a historical person who has some traits in common with my character.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote