Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-09-2024, 01:59 PM   #46
MarcoDiWA
MarcoDiWA began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Library keeps getting corrupted

Hi Kovid
I have a lot of books in my library. It keeps getting corrupted and I never know why or what to do. Here's the message. Please advise. Library is now on an SD card permanently inserted. Thanks

calibre, version 7.8.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>OSError</b>:[WinError 1392] The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable: 'E:\\NewCal24'

calibre 7.8 embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.19045-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19045')
Python 3.11.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19045', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
EXE path: C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (2, 10, 0) && DeDRM (7, 0, 3) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (2, 10, 0) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (2, 10, 0) && From KFX (2, 10, 0) && KFX Input (2, 10, 0) && Set KFX metadata (from KFX Output) (2, 7, 0) && KFX Output (2, 7, 0) && KePub Output (3, 6, 6) && Kobo Books (1, 9, 2) && Kobo Utilities (2, 16, 13) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 6, 7) && Obok DeDRM (6, 7, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\dialogs\choose_library.py", line 191, in accept
File "calibre\gui2\dialogs\choose_library.py", line 109, in check_action
OSError: [WinError 1392] The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable: 'E:\\NewCal24'

Last edited by MarcoDiWA; 04-09-2024 at 02:33 PM. Reason: more info
MarcoDiWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 02:35 PM   #47
MarcoDiWA

I copied booksto a new file. They now show up but no tags, no virtual libraries and no preview and I get a disk I/O error
Advert
Old 04-09-2024, 06:38 PM   #48
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
From my experience, SD cards, flash drives and such don't really play nice with calibre libraries. The best environment for a calibre library is your local drive, or a proper external hard drive (not a thumb/flash drive).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:22 PM   #49
MarcoDiWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
From my experience, SD cards, flash drives and such don't really play nice with calibre libraries. The best environment for a calibre library is your local drive, or a proper external hard drive (not a thumb/flash drive).
My computer hard drive was full so I looked for another option. 500gb SD card did it. My problem could be pCloud backing things up. Don't know if it's like Google drive. Now I have my books in a file but they aren't recognized by Calibre. I could reload 4000 books one by one if I live long enough. Can't find a metadata file to delete either.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:23 AM   #50
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
stop the pCloud backup.

Open a command prompt, and give the command:
chkdsk X: /r/v
X: being the drive letter of the SD drive
This will check if the filesystem on the SD drive is ok, and if there are any bad blocks on the SD drive

If this command does not produce any errors, you will need to put the library on an external Drive (HDD or SSD) and do more testing to find the problem.

And make sure your C: drive has enough free space for swapping,...etc. Otherwise you may also have problems.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 08:51 AM   #51
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
SD Cards or thumb drives are often FAT32 or ExFAT. You are best with the native file system of the OS Calibre is on.

Only one way sync (backup) when Calibre is not running. Also some NAS, Server and Cloud solutions mess up the filenames or other aspects. A Calibre "Save to Disk" or Calibre Export is agnostic to file system, the library files and settings are not.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote