Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
tiomario
tiomario began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Don't want to spoil my first experience with PRS-505!. Calibre or Sony Software?

For my first transfer from PC to Device (1500 ebooks), considering those are all LRF already, should I use Calibre or Sony software?
I've heard that if I choose Calibre, I will have trouble using Sony's afterwards...
Thanks!
tiomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
You can switch between using Calibre and Sony as long as you don't have both programs open at the same time. Just make sure that the one program is completely closed before opening the other.

I don't think that you can fit 1500 ebooks on the Sony unless you have memory cards.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 AM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
toomanybooks is right. I can only fit about 250 books on the internal memory--which I consider a lot of books! The reader could start having problems if you try to add too many books to it...there are other posts here from folks who have tried to max out the number of books on their reader.

As I mentioned in another post--one reason to use the Sony software is that it will "pre-paginate" your LRF files, which will make the books open up faster on the reader. (This only affects the first time you open a book on the reader or change a font size.)

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Yes, I as dordale and toomanybooks say -- don't try putting all those books on your device.

I keep all my books on the computer and use calibre to manage them and have them backed up on a memory stick. Then I just load on the books I want to read and delete them from the reader as I finish. When I run out, I load on the next lot. I use tags in calibre to keep track of the ones I have already read. The sony software is useful to get books from the Sony ebook store.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
tiomario

Thank you all for the advices!!
Curly, can you tell me more about how you manage your tags with calibre?
Thanks!
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I can tell you how I do it, but there may be a better more efficient way.

When I have finished a book, I highlight it in calibre and then I click on the metadata button at the top. Under 'tags' I have a 'Read' category and add that to the metadata for the book.

When I go to add books to my reader, I click on the tags button in the lower right corner. In the left pane that opens, I can sort my books by removing those I have already read from the list. So I might choose to remove the all books from the list that I have already read, then ask it to list only science fiction or children's books. I can then highlight those and send to device.

Calibre will use the tags to create folders on your reader. So when I go to Collections on my 505 there will be a folder for my science fiction books and a folder containing the children's books.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
tiomario

Great!
Thanks a lot!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
Curly
I need a holiday!

No problem!