Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: August 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Sh*t My Dad Says by Halpern, Justin 11 13.25%
The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler 22 26.51%
Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett 10 12.05%
Don't Sleep There Are Snakes by Daniel Everett 6 7.23%
The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman 5 6.02%
Life of Pi by Yann Martel 3 3.61%
Aspects of the Novel by E. M. Forster 6 7.23%
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak 11 13.25%
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell 7 8.43%
Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure by John Cleland 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #106
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #107
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is a terrible reason. The vote should be for a book you want to read and not because it might be a winner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowhappy View Post
TEASE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
All your reasons are always the best for you, at the moment you conceive them, Kenny. Some times also for me
Okay I voted!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #108
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay I voted!
But was it for something you really, really, really, really wanted to read?
Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #109
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

Old 07-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #110
kennyc

Quote:
Nah, I just adopted the lemming approach and went with the crows....oh, er...crowd...

Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #111
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Nah, I just adopted the lemming approach and went with the crows....oh, er...crowd...

Old 07-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #112
RiverY
RiverY
RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindles, Sony, & nc
Having voted for a book that doesn't look like it will win , I want to get "The Guns of August" by Barbara W. Tuchman. I have read a few of her books in the past and they were wonderful. I didn't think any of them were available in ebook format.

That being said, is there a site that I can get both a Sony version, for my husband, and a mobi/kindle version for myself, with one purchase price? This is one book that both of us would enjoy.

Last edited by RiverY; 07-27-2010 at 02:18 PM.
RiverY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #113
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverY View Post
Having voted for a book that doesn't look like it will win , I want to get "The Guns of August" by Barbara W. Tuchman. I have read a few of her books in the past and they were wonderful. I didn't think any of them were available in ebook format.

That being said, is there a site that I can get both a Sony version, for my husband, and a mobi/kindle version for myself, with one purchase price? This is one book that both of us would enjoy.
I'm thinking that you can't do that without removing the encryption. The Kindle will display mobi (non-secure) but what you purchase (other than from Amazon) will be mobi-secure for the computer/device you download for.

The kindle edition would have to be stripped/converted to use on the Sony.

all in all
Old 07-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #114
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverY View Post

I wanted that one too. I'm still going to read it as it's been on my list for some time.

There's no way to buy it once and have it on both a Sony (ePub) and Kindle (azw) without breaking DRM. If you're willing to break DRM you could buy either version and convert it to the other needed format with Calibre.

The only other option I can think of is if you have access to eBooks through a public library (either locally or through a non-resident card at someplace like the Philly Free Library) you could see if they have it in ePub for the Sony and then buy the Kindle version.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #115
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks very much, everybody!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #116
RiverY
RiverY
RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindles, Sony, & nc
Ah well. I guess I will just have to buy two. Seems silly to have to do that, but god forbid we should share our readers with each other . Fortunately, we rarely read the same books.

Thanks for the replies.
RiverY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #117
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:

ah!!! wait til Jon see this!!
glowhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #118
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
I did!
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #119
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Now we know why Kenny gets killed in most episodes of South Park.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #120
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now we know why Kenny gets killed in most episodes of South Park.
I will light a candle for you Kenny!
glowhappy is offline   Reply With Quote