Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: August 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Sh*t My Dad Says by Halpern, Justin 11 13.25%
The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler 22 26.51%
Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett 10 12.05%
Don't Sleep There Are Snakes by Daniel Everett 6 7.23%
The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman 5 6.02%
Life of Pi by Yann Martel 3 3.61%
Aspects of the Novel by E. M. Forster 6 7.23%
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak 11 13.25%
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell 7 8.43%
Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure by John Cleland 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #76
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I find exactly the opposite - it helps to maintain my concentration.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #77
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I listen to audiobooks in my car, on my way to and from work. I have about a 45 minute journey each way, and it makes what would otherwise be a wasted hour and a half an enjoyable experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowhappy View Post
I've tried listening to an audio book during a 500 mile road trip. It only made me sleepy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find exactly the opposite - it helps to maintain my concentration.
Nice. When I drive I have to be totally concentrated on driving. It became so dangerous in the last years. I am just able to listen to music, or to the radio. Having to rewind or to do anything that is not checking the road ahead, the rear mirror, the incoming traffic and its dynamic, the cars following and their dynamic, both sides of the road, the road itself. The only thing that I do unconsciously is the actual handling of the car. It is also that with age, the reflexes have been slackening a bit, so I need to anticipate more and more the possibilities.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #78
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Audio books. They are so widespread. I have a number of audio things, mostly podcasts, interesting material. But I do not listen to them, and stopped accumulating them, because they require concentration, and the only time I imagine I could activate it, is while driving on a long monotonous trip. But even then, there is a disturbance and there it goes the story, the thread, ...

How do you listen to them? can you give me some advice?
I play games while listening; Sudoku, Spider Solitaire, Word puzzles from the paper, etc. Occasionally, I'll miss a phrase or two, and have to back up. If I'm taking a trip, I'll listen to them in the car on the iPod (through the car speakers).

I don't listen that many audiobooks; mostly it's podcasts and Teaching Company courses; that kind of thing.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-25-2010 at 10:35 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #79
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you Tom. The point for me is that my free time is too fragmented as it is now. When I have some I am on MR or internet. That is when I should listen to it. But most of my podcast last at least 45 minutes, and for me that is really a long time. Good, I got the patterns and my relation to them.

Thank you gal and guys for answering.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #80
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowhappy View Post
I've tried listening to an audio book during a 500 mile road trip. It only made me sleepy.
Where you listening to "The Big Sleep"?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #81
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
its a funny conincidence actually, the first time was Life of Pi by Martel. The second attempt was a Patricia Cornwell audiobook.
glowhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #82
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #83
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Beppe, you are in Italy and need tp concentrate on the road. Those people are maniacs on the road!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #84
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you search the free MR library, you might find find a potential winner. Just saying....
Old 07-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #85
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Wow... this month isn't even close. The Chandler book has twice as many votes as the second place books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #86
DixieGal
Hi There!

I'm going to start on it tonite, because I'm sure it will be a good one.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #87
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Good thing I finished "Don't Sleep There Are Snakes" last night...

I don't know about this book. More than 1/3 was a defense of why his views of the Pirahã language doesn't fit with the theories of Chomsky Linguistics. Mostly over my head. The parts of the Pirahã themselves were very interesting, but it's probably best this didn't make it...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:35 AM   #88
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Good thing I finished "Don't Sleep There Are Snakes" last night...

I don't know about this book. More than 1/3 was a defense of why his views of the Pirahã language doesn't fit with the theories of Chomsky Linguistics. Mostly over my head. The parts of the Pirahã themselves were very interesting, but it's probably best this didn't make it...
Very useful post, Jerry. Tell me, please. Are the two part distinct enough so that a poor soul can just read the parts of the Pirahã themselves by themselves?

Some time linguistics can have adverse effects on my complexion.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:09 AM   #89
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
Most of the interesting stuff (the linguistics) in "Don't Sleep ..." has been published in academic journals. You'll also find some useful posts on the Language Log. If you want to read an interesting, non-technical, account of anthropological field-work, have a look at Nigel Barley's 'The Innocent Anthropologist; Notes from a Mud Hut.' It is very funny.

I doubt I'll join in on the discussion for this month. I read Chandler almost fifty years ago, and enjoyed him greatly, but I don't think I want to go back to him now.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:18 AM   #90
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does anyone have any recommendations for places to buy "The Long Good-bye"? The cheapest I've been able to find it for is $7.92 in the Kindle Store.

Note, by the way, that if you're searching for it, it's "The Long Good-bye", not "Goodbye" as stated in the poll. A search for "goodbye" won't find it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote