Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #31
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Yes it can be rotated so that the buttons are on the left side. I have a Pocketbook 360 and read it with the buttons on the left side, I also assigned the top button as my next page button and the bottom as my last page button. It seems a bit counter intuitive but it works very well for me.

I have been asked why I read it upside down before though.

Amy
I read my PB360 the same way. I'm right-handed, but I'm most comfortable holding the reader in my left hand.

To me the PB360 is the perfect reader. I've had K1, K2, Sony PRS-600, PRS-900 and a Jetbook Lite, and none compared to my PB360 for sheer comfort, ease of controlling the appearance of my books and features. The built in cover means I don't have to invest in another item for my PB360 and keeps it as light as possible.

The only 2 things that would improve it for me -- a better dictionary and a better way to organize my books -- have nothing to do with ergonomics. And I have found an inelegant work-around for book organization.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:58 AM   #32
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Well that and the price needs to come down on the PB360. They're using the same price point as readers from other companies which have connectivity features and/or touch screen. Neither of which are really necessary features for a lot of people, but they DO explain the extra cost. PB360's seeming competition, featurewise, are $100 less than it now. It may be implemented better than most of them, but that's not justifiable to the tune of an extra $100.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 02:02 AM   #33
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Incidentally... how well does the thing with FBReader and the 360's accelerometer work? THAT seems to me to be a potential "killer feature" if it works properly (I can also imagine it going horribly wrong as well, since people don't exactly hold their readers still normally--I can just imagine all the extraneous page turns possible if this feature isn't tweaked properly), and its definitely germane to this discussion, since it theoretically makes single-handed reading a HELL of a lot easier.

Last edited by Spiffy; 05-22-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:27 AM   #34
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakesFriend View Post
Teddman,
I bought the Floor Stand model from Bookholder.com -- they have a table model (it clamps on to a horizontal surface), and the floor stand model. It does exactly what you asked for -- it holds the book at eye level (adjustable), and pivots and even tilts.
It's not cheap, but I'm liking it so far.

And you're idea for the remote control is great. Hope someone out there is listening!
Thanks for the info... How is the bookholder stand working in practice? From the pictures on the site, I don't see any example of it holding an e-reader. Would it be easy to use with a Sony 505?

The remote control would be a great idea, wouldn't it? Otherwise you would still have to reach up and "pinch" the book stand to turn pages while trying not to move it out of optimal reading position...

EDIT: Wait, I see they have an e-reader adaptor for the Levo bookholder. Seriously considering one.

Last edited by Teddman; 05-22-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #35
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
My nook is much more comfortable to hold with the cover. It's more comfortable to hold with two hands and I can fold it back and slip it between fingers for leverage.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #36
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I agree with many previous posters that the physical design of the Rocket Ebook / RCA REB1100 / eBookWise REB1150 remains the champ for readers that you hold in your hand while reading. Supporting any of the 4 edges as the top, automatically remapping buttons sensibly when rotated, etc. were all great ideas.

I still wish that I could purchase a reader that measures up to that standard. I've not found one so far.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #37
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I don't understand why there isn't an option for a corded or wireless remote.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #38
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Yes, is there not a single reader with a remote control? It'd be a big improvement for turning pages, especially for the bigger models like the Kindle DX. You could set the reader in a stand on the coffee table, crank up the font, and kick back on the couch with the remote.

Book reading finally meets a movie watching level of couch potato-ness.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:16 AM   #39
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Yes, is there not a single reader with a remote control? It'd be a big improvement for turning pages, especially for the bigger models like the Kindle DX. You could set the reader in a stand on the coffee table, crank up the font, and kick back on the couch with the remote.

Book reading finally meets a movie watching level of couch potato-ness.
I don't know of any with a remote, but some of the ebook reader programs have automatic page advance. I believe the Jetbook lite does, at least for some formats.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #40
JakesFriend
Jakes Friend
JakesFriend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite1
Quote:
Thanks for the info... How is the bookholder stand working in practice? From the pictures on the site, I don't see any example of it holding an e-reader. Would it be easy to use with a Sony 505?

The remote control would be a great idea, wouldn't it? Otherwise you would still have to reach up and "pinch" the book stand to turn pages while trying not to move it out of optimal reading position...

EDIT: Wait, I see they have an e-reader adaptor for the Levo bookholder. Seriously considering one.
The ebook adapter works very well, but you'll laugh at how simple it is. It consists of for squares of velcro (with peel and stick backings), and four blocks that have diagonal elastic loops. The idea is to stick the velcro squares on the stand, then position the blocks (they also have velcro) in the best position to hold your reader.
In a way it's perfect because it's simple, but they should sell it for MUCH less! Regardless, I'm glad I bought it.
JakesFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #41
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Touch screen is the spawn of Stan. You spend years telling your kids never to touch the screen, then someone invents a screen that you have to poke to make it do stuff.

I also prefer the flip up/wrap around covers so that you can hold it like a real book. Or failing that, a large non-screen and buttonless area at the bottom so that you can hold it with one thumb on the front. Being wrong handed, most of them have the buttons on the wrong side, too.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #42
Teddman
Addict

I recently got a Book Seat and I'm loving it. It's sort of a cushion crossed with a lectern, and my 505 fits perfectly in the suede "seat." The optional page holder works pretty well for holding the 505's cover open, though I guess it would be even better to simply take the cover off.

With a couple couch pillows on my lap and the Book Seat on top of that, the reader is just about at eye level, and this make a noticeable difference in comfort. I'm no longer getting a crick in my neck from staring at my lap and my hands don't get tired from holding the 505. Sounds lazy but after an hour or two it can get on your nerves!

Now if I could just get a remote control so that I don't even have to lift my arm to hit the page turn button...
Old 06-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #43
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i think ergonomic wise the best thing is to allow the customers to map the keys like Pocketbook does. I too like the upper wing button on the 360 to be next page but some people want the bottom one to be next page because they hold it differently than i do.

Touch screen gestures need to allow mapping as well. I might be comfortable swiping from right to left to change the page but someone else might want to "drag" up to change to the next page.

rotation is also key. i prefer my buttons on the side of the display but others want them at the bottom. all readers should be able to rotate to up/down/left/right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
Incidentally... how well does the thing with FBReader and the 360's accelerometer work? .
fantastically. its very well thought out and it has been tweaked since introduced. it allows you to modify when the page turn happens by degrees in steps of 5 degrees from 20-70 degrees. So you can set it for 20 if you want to happen with very little tilt or you can set it for 45 if you worry about extraneous page turns. you can also set it to only turn forward so if you dont have to worry that you've suddenly gone back a page.

silent, one-handed page turning that works amazingly well
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:10 AM   #44
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
I recently got a Book Seat and I'm loving it. It's sort of a cushion crossed with a lectern, and my 505 fits perfectly in the suede "seat." The optional page holder works pretty well for holding the 505's cover open, though I guess it would be even better to simply take the cover off.

With a couple couch pillows on my lap and the Book Seat on top of that, the reader is just about at eye level, and this make a noticeable difference in comfort. I'm no longer getting a crick in my neck from staring at my lap and my hands don't get tired from holding the 505. Sounds lazy but after an hour or two it can get on your nerves!

Now if I could just get a remote control so that I don't even have to lift my arm to hit the page turn button...
I use a homemade version of this: I yanked the stuffing out of a cushion, poured in rice. Works great. With the cushion and rice, I think I spent five bucks.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #45
Michel Kin
Michel Kin began at the beginning.

Device: Laputa
I like the true flip effects most. Coming with the voice of turning pages while reading would really be awesome, as the ebooks on-line does so.
Michel Kin is offline   Reply With Quote