Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Is it possible to delete a book from the Reader internal memory?

When you have a book in the Reader internal memory and you finish reading it, is it possible to delete it without using the Sony Connect software?

I like to clean out books I finish right away. (It just feels good to do that. I don't know why!)

The best solution I can think of is to put all books on an SD card and then delete them with my Treo, but that seems kind of silly. Any better ideas?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
1. Create new sticky thread "Firmware bugfixes/improvements/additions"
2. Post new suggestion to add "Delete" option under "Utilities" menu.
3. Hope that Sony reads and implements it

:-)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava
1. Create new sticky thread "Firmware bugfixes/improvements/additions"
2. Post new suggestion to add "Delete" option under "Utilities" menu.
3. Hope that Sony reads and implements it

:-)
Heh! Funny answer, even if it's a slightly slower option than I was looking for.

It may be wishful thinking, but the process has already started... check out Flumbo post item #11!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
When you have a book in the Reader internal memory and you finish reading it, is it possible to delete it without using the Sony Connect software?

I like to clean out books I finish right away. (It just feels good to do that. I don't know why!)

The best solution I can think of is to put all books on an SD card and then delete them with my Treo, but that seems kind of silly. Any better ideas?
Plug it into a PC that does not have Sony's software on it, and it comes up as a USB drive. (I've never installed Sony's software, so I don't know what would happen then.) Delete the files like you would from any other USb drive.

There's no point that I can think of to deleting the files sooner, as you need a PC to load files on the reader.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Your suggestion is great for the PRS505, recycledelectron, but this thread is over a year old and refers to the PRS500 which was then just released.

The PRS500 doesn't function as a USB drive (that's one of the big new features with the 505), so you have to have Sony's software, or libprs500 to manage internal memory on it.

If I recall correctly, the reason Bob was looking for this is that some of us (I'm one) would like to be able to remove books when we finish with them just for obsessive neatness' sake ... too bad that obsessive neatness doesn't extend to how I keep my office ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
FYI: You can do this on the Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you so much for sharing that with us, Nate.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right back at you, Nate.

I've always wondered why Sony chose not to implement this function in the 505. On the Kindle it is done with the scroll wheel and pop up menus. It could have been done on the 505 with the joystick.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yeah, it's one of many headscratchers with the PRS series -- it's not like it'd be hard to do, so there must be some other reason. I like to think it's not just because they decided they didn't want to.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Well now, I think there is a hack for this.
(hum)
Yes, here it is :
Quote:
Feature: Delete books in Utilities page.
:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13185
Never tried it though
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yeah, there is a hack, but it doesn't play well with Collections.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Yeah, it's one of many headscratchers with the PRS series -- it's not like it'd be hard to do, so there must be some other reason. I like to think it's not just because they decided they didn't want to.
I'd expect it's purely down to the fact that there's no strong reason to do so, in that you can't do anything with the space you'd free up, whereas if you do add code to do it, it needs writing in the first place, testing to make sure if doesn't do anything incorrect (and regression testing to make sure nothing changes when other changes are made elsewhere) plus it adds to the size of the 'operating system' in memory. Basically, there's a 'cost' to software that may not be obvious!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And just for a quick note, DO NOT delete books on the 505 that are in a collection unless you use Ebook Library or Libprs500 to do it. Otherwise you may just end up borking the collection and having to reset.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #14
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Ouiche, I didn't know that ! Thanks... As I use a lot the collections, I guess I'll pass on this hack Thanks !
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I'd expect it's purely down to the fact that there's no strong reason to do so, in that you can't do anything with the space you'd free up, whereas if you do add code to do it, it needs writing in the first place, testing to make sure if doesn't do anything incorrect (and regression testing to make sure nothing changes when other changes are made elsewhere) plus it adds to the size of the 'operating system' in memory. Basically, there's a 'cost' to software that may not be obvious!
Here's a strong reason: customers asked for the feature.