Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
Your Grace
Your Grace began at the beginning.

Device: nothing yet
Smile Hello from the wonderful Adelaide Hills, Sth. Aust.

I am pleased to be here to say Hi to everybody and introduce myself to the MobileRead community.
As I live in Australia, Amazon's Kindle is new to us and I would like to buy one but am still a bit dubious if it can suitably replace a paperback.
I literally have hundred's of books on my shelves and am not looking forward to acquiring more.
I would love to ask if anyone has bought one, in Australia or elsewhere and if it replaced paperbacks adequately.
I read ebooks on my PC but find it clumsy.
So hi from me, and pleased to meat you.
Your Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi and welcome to mobileread

I'm sure there must be other Australians and other members who will give you advice on the Kindle. Just pop along to the Kindle forum here and ask away:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Great to see so many from Oz joining the company recently. You'll find the advice you need here, Your Grace. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi, Your Grace, should I bow or curtsey or something? Anyway, welcome to MR!

I've had my Kindle for over a year now and now I wonder how I ever got along without it! I love reading classics and other older books that I get from right here on MR. For many reasons, I prefer my Kindle to "real" books. Easier to hold, never lose your place, built-in dictionary,....

If you're a big reader, I expect you'd really enjoy having a Kindle, or one of the many other good e-readers out there.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Your Grace and welcome to MobileRead. Like most of the addicts, er, members here, I was a big paperback/hardback reader till I got my hands on an eInk device. After that, I never looked back.

I've had a Sony 505 for over two years and really like it and do not miss print books at all. And, because of the portability of my eBook reader, I've been able to read a lot more books than I used to.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
Your Grace

Thank you so much for your wonderful warm welcome. The 'Your Grace' is very tongue in cheek and I didn't think I would be allowed it but it went through?? It relates to my love of History. I am going to buy the lighter Kindle as arthritis may stop me from holding the later, bigger version. Thank you for your advice
Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
G'day, Your Grace (said on semi-bended knee )

Quote:
Amazon's Kindle is new to us and I would like to buy one but am still a bit dubious if it can suitably replace a paperback.
No... it really can't. It's just about worthless for propping up wobbly chair legs, won't raise the baby to kitchen table height, and isn't worth diddly for starting a campfire!

However, as a device upon which to read the printed word, it's great!!! My own preference went to the Sony 505, but that's just me. There are just as many folks, or more, who chose Kindle. I always have it with me, and read with it for several hours every day. It's the best present I've bought for myself in years! I'm sure that you enjoy your reader as much!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
Your Grace

Thank you my subjects we are most pleased with your help
Just joking everyone
I am now going to compare the Sony505 with the Kindle. That many owners can't be wrong. I am a devoted novel reader though and that would be my main use and so I am looking for a screen that would be like a page from a paperback and easy to read.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:25 AM   #10
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Grace View Post
Thank you so much for your wonderful warm welcome. The 'Your Grace' is very tongue in cheek and I didn't think I would be allowed it but it went through?? It relates to my love of History. I am going to buy the lighter Kindle as arthritis may stop me from holding the later, bigger version. Thank you for your advice
Hello Gracie,I have 2 kindle 1's, and have had them for quite a while.

Was there a hassle converting? Yes.

Was it worth it? Yes, and yes again.

There are literally hundreds of free books which you are able to read without converting.

That's just my opinion for what it's worth.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
Your Grace

Hi Nohmi2, wonderful to hear from you. I'm glad you have experienced the Kindles as I have decided to buy the larger DX when it comes out on Jan. 19th as it will help with studying.
Your opinion is worth gold to me What do you mean about 'was there a hassle converting? Yes!' Please what converting are you talking about?? I haven't bought it yet, and so don't know what you mean. Thank you so much for talking to me
Old 01-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #12
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
HI welcome to the site. I think a PC is better suited to organize the collection to be read on a dedicated reader.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:01 AM   #13
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Grace View Post
Hi Nohmi2, wonderful to hear from you. I'm glad you have experienced the Kindles as I have decided to buy the larger DX when it comes out on Jan. 19th as it will help with studying.
Your opinion is worth gold to me What do you mean about 'was there a hassle converting? Yes!' Please what converting are you talking about?? I haven't bought it yet, and so don't know what you mean. Thank you so much for talking to me

I only have experience with the K1's but I love it to pieces.
The DX might be completely different ( I hope not), but if that is the case I am sure that someone will take up the slack.

If I can help I'll gladl do so.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #14
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR - you'll always find someone here who can help and people willing to share their experience.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hello kindle australia