Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
Tanellthyon
Tanellthyon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue)
Question about legalities

Hi there,

I don't know if this question's been asked yet or not (spent a while looking for a similar thread and couldn't find one).

Assuming one owns a real, physical copy of a book, is it legal to download the digital version?

E.G. I own Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, and since doesn't seem to be available anywhere (even though it previously was), is it legal to download from the...rather...shadowy...sites?

And don't get me wrong, I'm not out to rip anyone off. If anything, I'd buy the entire series were it released on Sony's (or anybody else's) store. But it's not, and I own the real books anyway. Just want to be able to carry it around more conveniently.

So if anybody can point out any laws, or experiences, or anything like that, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

NOTE: Just remembered, in most other formats, if you own a real copy, digital copies are okay to download. E.G. if you own a video game, it's okay to download the emulator/ROM version of it, or to download MP3s of a CD you own. Does this also apply to eBooks?
Tanellthyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Wizard's First Rule is available as an exclusive eBook at Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As I understand the rulings in the US (and I'm not a lawyer so take this with a grain of salt) it is OK to make your own mp3 files for your own listening from CDs that you own or to make mp3 for your own use from albums that you own. It is not OK to download someone else's rips of their copies of albums that you also own. Likewise, publishers seem to view an ebook copy as a distinct product from the physical book. The argument that I have understood them to make is that owning one form of the book does not qualify you for a free copy of another form of the book any more than owning a hardcover of a book allows you to get a paperback for free.

In some countries, as I understand it, even making a scan of a book that you own is illegal. Laws vary from country to country so what is illegal in one may be legal where you live. (Since you did not identify where you live in your profile for it to display, this is the best I can answer.)

As Jon has pointed out above, part of the series is available exclusively through Amazon for the Kindle so there is no hope that all of the series will be legally available for the Sony until after that agreement expires, if ever.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:02 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post

As Jon has pointed out above, part of the series is available exclusively through Amazon for the Kindle so there is no hope that all of the series will be legally available for the Sony until after that agreement expires, if ever.
The exclusivity deal should be over in a little over 4 months according to this post from September 3rd:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedd View Post
ok. Teh deal is for 6 months (5 months left) and at the end of the deal WFR should be available in most if not all other formats.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One very important question was never answered about WFR.

Will the rest of the books in the series be out as eBooks? Never answered. We have enough book series that are only available incomplete that we don't need one more. So I am hoping that The Sowrd of Truth series is going to be released in eBook form as a complete series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
Tanellthyon
Tanellthyon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue)
Thanks for the answers guys. I think it's honestly kinda stupid not to be entitled to a digital form of what you own since there are no production costs for a digital format. But that's just opinion and really has no effect on law. And yes, I'm in the US.

Well I hate Amazon has an exclusive deal.... Hopefully they'll move it to other formats soon as that's up, and not have this endless waiting period for something else (Tor, anyone?).
Tanellthyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:28 AM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
All of my SciFi comes from 4 sources: MobileRead free downloads (for the classic stuff and second largest amount of stuff), Project Gutenberg (more classic stuff to be posted at MobileRead when finished), Fictionwise, and Baen (the largest portion by far.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:56 AM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
In short ... no. If you own a physical copy of a book, it is not legal to download a digital version from other than a reputable digital bookseller, unless that book is no longer ... or never was ... subject to copyright.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:42 AM   #9
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
In short ... no. If you own a physical copy of a book, it is not legal to download a digital version from other than a reputable digital bookseller
While I am sure you are right (and I'm not a lawyer and all), format shifting is (grudgingly) granted as fair use for a lot of other content. The content industry has fought and lost a few legal battles on that front.

Do you think a reasonable case could be made for "pbook to ebook" from a consumer standpoint? For example, would it be "fair use" if I scanned/digitized a pbook I own myself (and of course didn't distribute it further)?

Last edited by acidzebra; 09-25-2008 at 01:49 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:10 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Do you think a reasonable case could be made for "pbook to ebook" from a consumer standpoint? For example, would it be "fair use" if I scanned/digitized a pbook I own myself (and of course didn't distribute it further)?
As you say, this is a classic example of fair use and it is generally thought to be legal in the US. What is not legal, as RWood said, is to download someone else's scanned/digitized version of the same book even though you own the pbook. This may seem to be a distinction without a difference, but that is the law and there has been at least one case like this for music where the downloader was held liable. Why anyone bothered to bring the case in the first place is a fair question, but sometimes legal proceedings have a momentum all their own.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:03 AM   #11
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Well at us (some parts in europe) they explained that downloading an mp3 if you own the CD is actually legal.

The one uploading is still illegal.

Its pretty sure not as easy teasy legal as some here like to view it, as long my guess is wrong, and they are lawyers with the expertfield of copyright.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
As you say, this is a classic example of fair use and it is generally thought to be legal in the US. What is not legal, as RWood said, is to download someone else's scanned/digitized version of the same book even though you own the pbook. This may seem to be a distinction without a difference, but that is the law and there has been at least one case like this for music where the downloader was held liable. Why anyone bothered to bring the case in the first place is a fair question, but sometimes legal proceedings have a momentum all their own.
If you can legally make your own eBook from a pBook that you own, then downloading the same eBook being illegal is just stupid. Technically that may be the law, but what's the point? The end result is the same.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:56 AM   #13
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
If you can legally make your own eBook from a pBook that you own, then downloading the same eBook being illegal is just stupid. Technically that may be the law, but what's the point? The end result is the same.
Whom ever claimed laws werent stupid? If there are laws prohibiting you from pushing live mooses out of ariplanes... It's the law, live with it. Sort of
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #14
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Wearing my techie hat I agree with you. But when I start thinking like a 'troublemaker' I see examples like this:

I hold you up at knife-point and take a book from you. I then stuff the price of the book in your pocket and walk away. Obviously this should be legal, because the end result is just the same as if I just bought the book from you in the first place. Right?

The analogy here is clearly not perfect. But the point is that end results are not the only consideration; process matters too.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #15
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Shaggy,
I think it is probably a matter of enforcement. If 90% of book downloaders only downloaded books that they already owned, it would be very difficult to sift through all the downloaders and determine who was legitimately downloading said books and who was doing it illegally.

Another argument might be that since the person who uploads the copyrighted work is doing so without permission and therefore illegally, that by downloading said work, you are participating in the original crime of uploading the work.
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote