Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
synoptic
synoptic began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
Hi-di-ho

Hello

I am currently considering purchasing an eReader, possibly the Iliad, but still scoping out people's experience of this technology. I have noticed an increase in the attention eReaders have been getting lately (probably due to the Sony device being marketed in Waterstones) and decided the time might be right to take the plunge.

I'm not 100% certain on this as I haven't actually seen an eInk display and have some concerns regarding the display sizes currently on offer. I read lots of scientific journal articles and was hoping to use an eReader as an alternative to printing the things out (piles of them everywhere!). I have read a lot of the posts that deal with this issue and I am reasonably confident the Iliad is up to the job but would appreciate any input from users who use it for this kind of reading. I am also strongly swayed by the Iliads touchscreen capability as annotating and note-taking would be highly desirable. Is it worth the price premium though?

The amount of development activity being undertaken by the users themselves is also impressive, a sure sign that the technology, in general, is in the ascendency.

The main concern for me is in buying a device now that will be superseded in the next 12 months by something with a larger display... I don't want to wait too long as I am already one year into a three year course and the main reason for getting an eReader is to streamline my study workflow. Again, any advice regarding this issue would be appreciated (although I have browsed the posts that offer info/hunches/rumours on product release schedules!).

Anyway, hello again and I hope I will be able to pick your brains over the coming weeks!

Cheers.
synoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Are you sure your textbooks will be available in ebook format? Seems like in a case of something with a curriculum and book list, the driving factor behind purchasing would be availability of content. The univ where I work is offering texts to the kids in PDF format this year. I imagine that is working great for them, seeing as they usually tote around large, unweildy laptop bags AND large unweildy book bags.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
synoptic

Hi DixieGal,

I read PDF's downloaded from journals via ScienceDirect, Elsevier, HighWire. etc. As far as I know they are DRM free because I can view them on any PC using a PDF reader, although my ignorance in these issues may be my undoing!

Cheers.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Me too. I'm constantly downloading PDF articles via those distributors. To my PC. You should really concentrate on a reader that handles PDF well, so that you don't spend half of your reading time converting articles.

You need what I have on my wish list: A single flat screen that is both a PC and has an onscreen keyboard. Unfortunately, we have to wait for that to be marketed.

What I did for our Residents and Fellows was to get all of their 1000+ pages of assigned articles in PDF, then put them onto the department server. So that way, they get told where to find the info and are sent to happily open PDF files and read. And read. And read.

Seriously, I think you may need to think about a big screen notebook PC because of all of the PDFs, illustrations, and tables in journal articles. Good Luck!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
synoptic

To be honest, if an eReader isn't up to the task I will just continue printing out A4 copies of the articles via the laser printer (bargain at £40 and <1 pence per sheet!). I can annotate, highlight and file manage with ease using this method! Is reading journal articles so bad using these devices? I saw a thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16116) that seemed to demonstrate good reproduction, but obviously it is difficult to tell without observing it in person.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate learning how these devices perform in real-world tasks.
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
synoptic

Oooops! Sorry this post should really have been placed on the 'Which one should I buy?' forum. I started off with the intention of explaining how I came to be interested in eReaders and ended up asking for advice. Sorry

Feel free to move thread if necessary.

Cheers.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Meanwhile, welcome to the Forum synoptic
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
synoptic

Heh! Yes, thank you, good to be here