Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Your Favorite Book Awards

If you had absolutely nothing to read today and were looking for an award-winning book to buy, what book award(s) would you look at? The Sony website conveniently lists the ebooks they have for sale that were either winners or nominees for 240 book awards - The Hugo, Nebula, Pulitzer, PEN/Faulkner, Bookman, Newbery Medal, etc. If you don't already have a favorite award, how would you decide which is most likely to award books that would most positively affect you?

Last edited by vivaldirules; 06-08-2008 at 08:36 AM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd go for the Hugo, because I know it's almost certainly going to be something I'll enjoy.

The "mainstream" book awards - the Booker prize, for example - seem to always go the "highbrow art" books which I wouldn't read in a million years .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
None.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd go for the Hugo, because I know it's almost certainly going to be something I'll enjoy.

The "mainstream" book awards - the Booker prize, for example - seem to always go the "highbrow art" books which I wouldn't read in a million years .
You see, I don't mind the Booker prize, because its books aren't always completely highbrow (and I promise I am not biased by the fact that the only two people to have one twice are Australian ). Peter Carey, J.M.Coetzee (thought I'd just pop them in first ), Margaret Atwood, Graham Swift, Roddy Doyle (my favourite), Thomas Keneally, Salman Rushdie...all of them are fairly easy reading in that they don't delve into Gravity's Rainbow-like difficulty. Hell, even Iris Murdoch's The Sea, The Sea is quite approachable (if, for me, unlikable).

I still think Roddy Doyle deserved the Booker in 1991 for The Van, which would have made him the first two-times winner.

I agree though...I'm far more likely to enjoy a Hugo than a Booker.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't go for books just because they have an award or were nominated. I've read some nominated/awarded books that I didn't like. I just pick books I think I might like.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
and I promise I am not biased by the fact that the only two people to have one twice are Australian ). Peter Carey, J.M.Coetzee (thought I'd just pop them in first ),
I thought the Booker was restricted to British and Irish authors? Or were these Australians who also held British nationality, or something like that?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I usually read the novels nominated for the Clarke award and the Hugo award each year and the Clarke-books are usually much better. Reading these books is a good way to find new authors and also at science fiction conventions a lot of people have read the award nominated books.

I have also heard that the World Fantasy award is a good award.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I thought the Booker was restricted to British and Irish authors? Or were these Australians who also held British nationality, or something like that?
"Who is eligible for the prize?

Any full-length novel, written by a citizen of the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland and published this year, is eligible for the prize. The novel must be an original work in English (not a translation) and must not be self-published."

(http://www.themanbookerprize.com/prize/about/faqs)

Cheers,
Marc
Old 06-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've not heard of the Clarke award. Where's it awarded, and who selects it?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks Marc - I hadn't realised it was open to the entire Commonwealth!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I've not heard of the Clarke award. Where's it awarded, and who selects it?
It is a juryied award and on the web site it is described as "The Arthur C. Clarke Award is the UK’s premier prize for science fiction literature. " See

http://www.clarkeaward.com/

The selection of short listed books are usually much more interesting then the Hugo award which is a popularity contest. But this year I though the Hugo nominated books was better... I usually try to read the Clarke award nominated books since I go to Eastercons (British National Science Fiction Convention) and they have a panel discussing the books and guessing who will win.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #12
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks Marc - I hadn't realised it was open to the entire Commonwealth!
Yes, and despite my personal rejection of constitutional monarchy, it is that "commonwealth" that probably gives me some affection towards the Prize too.

For the sake of transparency, I should point out that Coetzee won both of his prizes before moving to Australia or becoming an Australian citizen (he was in South Africa and South African at both times).

Cheers,
Marc
Old 06-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Two that have not been mentioned are the Crime Writers' Association Awards (Silver and Gold Daggers) and the Mystery Writers of America's Edgar Awards. These are worth a look if you like these genres.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Usually I go for the Hugo nominees, Edgar nominees and the Pulitzer nominees for general fiction, history, biography and general non-fiction. I don't necessarily buy them because of the awards, but I look to see if they sound interesting.

Last edited by wayspooled; 05-14-2009 at 08:59 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:15 AM   #15
DanT
Connoisseur
DanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo
I like to check the EPPIE awards since it's all independant small ebooks publisher moslyl if not all DRM-free. It's slanted toward romance.

PS. Many of those publisher have archaic rudimentary webshop with no bookshelf, download once only and your responsable for your backup. So it's a good idea to check if fictionwise or other place it they have a copy of the books.
DanT is offline   Reply With Quote