Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
It's growing but I'd be the first to say most of the apps available are kind of meh. They clearly have a hurdle to overcome. But if you count Office as a separate $100 purchase then it is only a $249 purchase. If I was starting college in a month it would probably be on my radar, something Microsoft surely considered when lowering their price.
I give Microsoft a wide berth because of its constantly changing appstores. As to Office, I don't see its inclusion as an advantage. I'm forced to interact with it ever so briefly at work; but at home, I have absolutely no need for it.

I see Surface as an enterprise product and a small niche device for the consumer market.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #32
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
No, Office is probably not the advantage it used to be, I'd be sufficiently happy with only Word included. If I need Excel or PowerPoint I also need the larger screen of my home laptop.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
No, Office is probably not the advantage it used to be, I'd be sufficiently happy with only Word included. If I need Excel or PowerPoint I also need the larger screen of my home laptop.
On my home PC, my office suite is Notepad; and on a mobile device, it's any generic memo app
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #34
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Microsoft has lowered the price from $499 to $349 for the Surface RT. Will that injection be enough?
Is this the firesale you previously said wouldn't happen?

I anticipated this price drop... But I'm waiting for the real firesale that will arrive in 2-3 months... 32GB RT w/typecase cover for $349. When that happens I'll be all over it.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #35
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Is this the firesale you previously said wouldn't happen?

I anticipated this price drop... But I'm waiting for the real firesale that will arrive in 2-3 months... 32GB RT w/typecase cover for $349. When that happens I'll be all over it.
Guess their pockets weren't as deep as i thought. I would have thought that they at least included the Touch Cover.
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #36
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Guess their pockets weren't as deep as i thought. I would have thought that they at least included the Touch Cover.
They will, eventually... but depends upon inventory on hand and consumer response to this sale.

As I mentioned before, this is standard operating procedure for Microsoft.

When Microsoft sets it's mind to it, it produces excellent consumer hardware. But they are still of the monopoly mindset when it comes to initial pricing of their hardware. (ie. they don't have to compete on price)

I'm looking forward to snagging a Surface RT.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #37
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I think the problem for Windows RT is that recent advances in processor technology have made Windows on ARM obsolete. The new Intel processors can run full Windows, don't get hot and the battery life is 8-10 hours or more. So why not get a full Windows tablet instead?

Still, the Surface RT is a great device.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-15-2013 at 11:04 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:19 AM   #38
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

The Haswell processor is major leap forward. Maybe it is smarter to sit tight for a while? Can you run OneNote natively on an RT?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #39
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
The Haswell processor is major leap forward. Maybe it is smarter to sit tight for a while? Can you run OneNote natively on an RT?
OneNote is included with the RT, but it is a Desktop app. Once you open it it doesn't really matter, though. The Surface RT doesn't have a Wacom or N-Trig pen, however. A lot of the full Windows tablets do.

The Haswell processor is a big step forward at the top end. New Atom processors seem to work well enough at the lower end, if you want to keep cost down.

I just bought the Sony with the new Haswell, but it may well make sense to sit tight and wait for September or so. A lot of new models are in the works.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #40
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

The RT doesn't have a digitizer? Dang!
That was the main allure for me. I bought the HP Envy x2 because it was advertised as a hybrid with pen input. I want something where I can use OneNote, as a desktop application, in order to take research notes. Now I do it in Adobe Reader, and while reasonably good it has limitations and unfortunately HP has yet to release a pen for the Envy x2.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #41
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Yes. Same version of OneNote for RT and 8 Pro.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #42
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
OneNote is included with the RT, but it is a Desktop app.
But there's the Metro version as well in addition? I don't see any difference to the one on Windows 8 Pro.
Less interesting for me though, without a stylus on Surface RT.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #43
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
But there's the Metro version as well in addition? I don't see any difference to the one on Windows 8 Pro.
Less interesting for me though, without a stylus on Surface RT.
Unfortunately, that is a dealbreaker for me. My problem is that my Envy x2 still hasn't any working pen solution.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #44
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is a dealbreaker for me. My problem is that my Envy x2 still hasn't any working pen solution.
Is it clear yet, what technology is used on the Envy X2?
WACOM pens for example easily could be ordered separately. I can exchange between Surface Pro, Latitude 10 and iRex 1000. You get such pens "everywhere" for 20 Euros.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-17-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #45
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Of course you could go "old school" and use capacitive pens in OneNote.
A friend of mine is doing so and quite comfortable with the results.
Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'm nit-picky. I'm using a grid and want to be somewhat precise. Never could do so with those fat capacitive pens. But: At least it's working.

My friend is using one of these: http://www.amazon.de/Adonit-ADJPDG-P...5&keywords=jot
He states, precision is no problem at all.
I wanted to buy it about 18 months ago, but there had been some negative reports about scratching the screen. My friend didn't experience any such problems, though.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-17-2013 at 06:51 AM.