Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
MyNameIsMrBurns
MyNameIsMrBurns began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Reader
Is there a way to manage collections for a Paperwhite?

I've looked at the Calibre plugins, Kindlean, apps like Kandleabra, etc, but I can't find anything that will let me manage my collections from my PC. Does an option exist?
MyNameIsMrBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsMrBurns View Post
I've looked at the Calibre plugins, Kindlean, apps like Kandleabra, etc, but I can't find anything that will let me manage my collections from my PC. Does an option exist?
You can use calibre in conjunction with Collections Manager (they can work in "tandem"), but you'll need to jailbreak your Kindle for this to work. I don't know of other possibilities.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
ziplizard
Enthusiast
ziplizard doesn't litterziplizard doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2.0
You can easily with the Kindle for PC application. The only downside is you can only move one book at a time and into one collection at a time (unless I'm missing something). It even worked for some (but not all) of my non-Amazon-bought books (I haven't messed with it enough to figure out why it was working for some but not others).

Once you have your books sorted into collections on the PC application (if you already started sorting your books on your Kindle, you can import your collection into the PC application), go to the "cloud" library on your Kindle Paperwhite. Then open up settings and select "import collections" or something like that. It will then organize every book currently on your Kindle Paperwhite into the collections you set up on your PC (or whatever other source you tell it to use for the imported collections).

Again, this is most effective with Amazon bought ebooks, but might work as well for non-Amazon ebooks as well.
ziplizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDan View Post
Of course you can, recently I tried this tool (freeware) and always using it to manage my kindle collections on my computer.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/E-Book/KDeasy.shtml

Just connect Kindle Paperwhite, run KDeasy. Then it will detect my device soon, and list the info at the left.

Click on "Collections", then you can start your work: Create new one, Delete, Rename, Add books to collections, etc.

Hmmm...so you're saying that I can download this application and use it to create collections for my Kindle Voyage that will show up on the device? Or can I just move books into and out of existing collections using this tool? How does it deal with collections that are in the Cloud, but not on the device? If I create a collection using this tool that has the same name as a collection that already exists in my Kindle cloud, what will happen? Will one overwrite the other? Or will the two collections merge together?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I seriously doubt that it'll work with the Voyage, because 5.6.x devices are not supported:

Quote:
Supported devices: Kindle 3(Keyboard), Kindle 4(5-way controller), Kindle Touch, Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite (2). With firmware version under and not include 5.4.5.
Moreover, Avast classifies the installer as Win32:Adware-gen [Adw].
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I seriously doubt that it'll work with the Voyage, because 5.6.x devices are not supported:
Where do you see which devices are supported?
Quote:
Moreover, Avast classifies the installer as Win32:Adware-gen [Adw].
Did you click on the big "report malware" button on the site?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:40 PM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Where do you see which devices are supported?
On the official website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Did you click on the big "report malware" button on the site?
No, because only Avast reported it as potential malware, however, since the manufacturer has a less than stellar reputation for selling freeware, I wouldn't be surprised at all, if the installer of its only freeware product also installed some kind of adware.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:35 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I wouldn't worry about it -- the original poster is banned for spamming and there are already recognized ways to create collections. Homegrown ways, with clearly delineated instructions and support documentation, does not require installing incompatible, silent jailbreaks (or so I would bet), etc. etc.

LibrarianSync, by barsanuphe, will create and update collections, assuming your device is jailbroken of course, which might require serial port access.

P.S. Are they really backed by epubor?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
P.S. Are they really backed by epubor?
It looks like it based on the metadata of the installer:

Code:
Copyright: (c) Epubor Inc.
Publisher: Epubor Inc.
Product: $(^Name)
File version: 2.0.2.3
Description: Epubor installer
Of course, they might have only licensed the installer from them or Epubor might have licensed their code.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:52 AM   #10
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
@shalym. Thanks for your post about KDeasy. I had never come across it, though I see Nate's blog has it featured today. It is, unfortunately, very clear both from Nate's blog and from another thread on these forums that the Collections Feature requires a jailbroken device to work, so will not of course work with later firmware versions on the Paperwhite or on the Voyage at all (unless, of course, you jailbreak using the serial port method). A shame.

I am currently using Collections Manager on a Jailbroken PW2 with KOReader also installed and with updates blocked. It works very well for what I want and has so far been maintenance free, though I suppose there may come a day where I want a feature in later firmware. That day has not yet come.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:44 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

KDeasy contains the Alf tools as well, it seems.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:38 AM   #12
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
KDeasy contains the Alf tools as well, it seems.
Do we know if it is using its own Jailbreak? Or has the mobileread one again been used without even the courtesy of an acknowledgment?
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

That much goes without saying. Our update.bin with jiggered shell command (but using an m.sh instead of jb.sh). I haven't investigated in depth... I suspect like Duokan the jailbreak certificate is not the MR community-shared one. So extra points for giving back to the community and no wonder only we here have gotten things working through fw5.6.x via gandalf-enabled upgrades or serial JB. for open development and cooperative, modular hacking.