Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
mickeyv
mickeyv began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Windows doesnt recognize Kobo

Hi all, I am from Toronto.

I have Windows XP SP3 and Kobo Touch with software version 1.9.16 (r35726, 12/23/11).

I just purchased the Kobo in Dec 2011. I followed the instructions to set up the Kobo. Upon initial setup I am able to see the folders wihin the device and Adobe Digitial Editions (ADE) also recognized the eReader. To complete the set up I ejected the device. However after the initial setup, both Kobo Desktop and ADE will not recognize the eReader. Within Kobo Desktop, the tab for the eReader is greyed out.

When I plug it in again, my computer will recognize that a mass storage device has been installed but wont let me open it. Within the My Computer Window, it will show as "Removable Disk (H". When I double click on it or try to open it, it states either of the following; "Insert disk into drive" or "Drive H is not Formatted, do you want to format?" for which i click on no to formatting. When I right click on the drive and open up Properties and go to the Hardware tab, it will show that Kobo eReader is there but wont allow me to choose it and click Apply.

I have uninstalled Kobo Desktop and reset the eReader to factory settings. This is the only time where the eReader is recognized by Kobo Desktop and by ADE. I have done this twice.

I have called Kobo tech support twice where they have given me instructions but still no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mickeyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Have you checked the status of the Touch in the Windows Device Manager? Attach your Touch to your computer using the supplied USB cable. On the Touch select CONNECT when the Computer Detected screen is displayed. On your computer go to Start/Control Panel and find the Device Manager. The Kobo ereader should be listed under Disks. Right-button click the ereader entry and review the tabs for error messages.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
mickeyv

Checked and there are no error messages. on the General tab it states that the device is working properly. Under the Policies tab, it is set to Optimize for quick removal. There is nothing under the Volumes tab. Under the Driver tab, it states Kobo eReader USB device, Driver Provider: Microsoft, Driver Date: 7/1/2001, Driver Version 5.1.2535.0, Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher. It also gives the follwing buttons to click on, Driver Details, Update Driver, Roll Back Driver, Uninstall. Under the Details tab, it states in a drop down box, Device Instance ID and then USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KOBO&PROD_EREADER&REV_0326\KG3181 102492B&0

I didnt click on any of the buttons in the Driver tab.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
mickeyv

PS. I did click on Connect and the screen on the eReader states Connected and Charging
Old 12-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
papajc
papajc began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I've got the same problem.

i connected the kobo to the PC for the first time after downloading kobo desktop the pc and kobo desktop recognised the kobo touch.
Kobo desktop then did an update to the kobo. Following this when i connect the usb cable to the kobo the option to connect to PC flashes up for less than a second then disappears not giving me time to select connect!
I've tried a different usb port, turning PC on/off.

anyone else having this problem or got a solution??

Oh and as i've just joined Hi to everyone
papajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Have you tried a different USB port? If you are using a USB hub, then, try a direct connect. If you have access to another computer, try that. If nothing works to fix the problem then you may have a defective Touch and, if possible, you should return it to the store where you bought it.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
mickeyv

I have tried several different USB ports. but to no success. I dont have access to another computer. I guess I will have to return and get another one.

thanks for your help Joe563
Old 12-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
papajc
papajc began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hi i seem to have sorted it, it seems that it might have been a faulty usb lead.

papajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
mickeyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajc View Post
Hi i seem to have sorted it, it seems that it might have been a faulty usb lead.

What do you mean by faulty usb lead...is that the port?

Just tried another lead (cable) and it still wont recognize the eReader.

Last edited by mickeyv; 12-30-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: tried another cable
Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
mickeyv

Does anyone know if I update the driver in the device manager will help read the Kobo eReader?