Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #151
Emmaleigh
Enthusiast
Emmaleigh began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
I have this bag, except for the iPhone and it's worth its weight in gold. We go sailing and boating quite often and it is worth it to guard against sea splashes from salt water. It is better than a regular ziplock bag because of the seals all around, plus it won't move as much as a ziplock while being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDuck View Post
You never know until you try!

Besides, there are products being advertised for the New Nook which bear a strong resemblance to a fancy plastic bag such as this:

TrendyDigital Waterguard @Amazon.com
Emmaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #152
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
My Home screen is irking the heck out of me! I've been staring at the same 4 books in the What To Read Next section for the past 5 days. They're recommendations based on a purchase. When does this part of the screen update for crying out loud?! This feature is CRAP as it is now. I DON'T WANT TO READ ANY OF THOSE FREAKIN' BOOKS NEXT.
These books have been on here for 10 days now. I was really looking forward to this feature.

I'll stick with the device for now since it's only $139 and I do use the Read in Store feature that I lost on my NOOKcolor. If there isn't an update for syncing and home page customization by the end of the year, then I hope there's a new Kindle available.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #153
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I found a bug in the footnotes feature. When reading an epub, an asterisk (*) appeared in a lighter font. Out of curiosity, I touched it. Turns out to be a link to a foot note at the end of the chapter. The page forwarded to the page displaying the footnote...and a back touchbutton appeared at the top of the screen, presumably it would return to the page you touched the (*) from. Neat! In my instance the footnote spanned multiple pages.

HERE IS THE BUG:

When I page forwarded to read rest of the foot note the "Back" touch button disappeared. A pageback did not return it, so I was basically left at the end of the chapter. I had to repeatedly pageback hunting for the departure point (*).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem
Properly authored ebooks should have 'back' links coded into the footnote label to take you back to where the footnote is referenced (assuming there is a 1-1 correspondence between references and the footnote). At least most books i've used that have footnotes do this. Did you try touching the footnote label?
That said, there's a bug here. There is a Back button on the Go To popup menu, but it doesn't always capture the hyperlink jumps. I navigated a link, went next page, Back button at top disappeared, but the Back on Go To menu took me to a previous reading position where I had clicked on a link there. It's kind of a bad one. workaround is to set bookmarks before each jump, I suppose, but ick.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-18-2011 at 02:51 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #154
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The TOC-first-level-only issue is worse than I thought it would be. Some books have only the NCX TOC (reasonably enough); there's no HTML TOC at the front of the book that you could use as an alternate. Navigating top level 'sections' is pretty worthless. And it isn't just computer books we're talking about, 'Pride and Prejudice' has a 2 level TOC.

I was hoping to use Nook for my O'Reilly computer book collection because of somewhat better formatting and ability to more easily navigate hyperlinks (than my Kindle). But at least the ePub version of the book I'm looking at has no HTML TOC. So effectively there is no TOC, since Nook won't show the entire NCX TOC. There are 80 or more pages between each top level TOC item. In this case there's a workaround: since they are DRM free, I can write a script to flatten the TOC. But they need to fix this.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #155
SteveDuck
SteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem
Properly authored ebooks should have 'back' links coded into the footnote label to take you back to where the footnote is referenced (assuming there is a 1-1 correspondence between references and the footnote). At least most books i've used that have footnotes do this. Did you try touching the footnote label?
I tried touching the asterisk (*) next to the footnote...after viewing 2nd page of footnote which did not display the "back" button on top of display (the bug). 1'st page of footnote was navigated to via pageback.

The result was a page change, back to the originating footnote reference containing the paired asterisk (*). Good!

However, the "back" button reappeared.
SteveDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #156
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I tried touching the asterisk (*) next to the footnote...after viewing 2nd page of footnote which did not display the "back" button on top of display (the bug). 1'st page of footnote was navigated to via pageback.

The result was a page change, back to the originating footnote reference containing the paired asterisk (*). Good!

However, the "back" button reappeared.
Sure, the button will appear after each jump. But what if you make 2 or more, and want to retrace your steps? The first jump back works, but you don't get another Back button to keep going back.

Also I've found you can land on the footnote list without a clue about which footnote you were de-referencing. On Kindle, it will always be the first thing on the page. But here it could be halfway down. So you have to remember the number.

That said, it's manageable if you pay attention and set a bookmark when you might otherwise lose your place completely.

I also haven't figured out how the Back button on the Go To menu works. I got it to do something once but it seems greyed out most of the time. I'm sure my dim light bulb will turn on eventually...
Old 06-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #157
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The TOC-first-level-only issue is worse than I thought it would be. Some books have only the NCX TOC (reasonably enough); there's no HTML TOC at the front of the book that you could use as an alternate. Navigating top level 'sections' is pretty worthless. And it isn't just computer books we're talking about, 'Pride and Prejudice' has a 2 level TOC.

I was hoping to use Nook for my O'Reilly computer book collection because of somewhat better formatting and ability to more easily navigate hyperlinks (than my Kindle). But at least the ePub version of the book I'm looking at has no HTML TOC. So effectively there is no TOC, since Nook won't show the entire NCX TOC. There are 80 or more pages between each top level TOC item. In this case there's a workaround: since they are DRM free, I can write a script to flatten the TOC. But they need to fix this.
I am with you on this one. I hope B&N update the firmware for multi-level TOC, plus the issue with the reader losing the page when connecting to the PC. If you have to go back to the last read page, and your TOC is missing all the level 2 and below items, it can be a royal PITA.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #158
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Bug: On the book options page (tapping center of screen while reading), the battery indicator is inverted compared to the home page.

I would like to see an option to display the book title on the top of the page while reading. When I pick "continue reading" from the home page, the title is displayed until the first page turn.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #159
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Today's the last day to return my device. I have until 9:00pm (central) to do so. There's nothing available (touchscreen) that offers a complete working package of features.

Do I get rid of the NOOK and buy the Kobo Touch which syncs, sorts by recently read (not recently downloaded/added!!!), and has a useful homescreen? Do I get rid of the NOOK and wait for a new Kindle? Do I keep the NOOK and keep posting my dissatisfaction that will eventually annoy the heck out of folks?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #160
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR & K3
Quote:
Today's the last day to return my device. I have until 9:00pm (central) to do so. There's nothing available (touchscreen) that offers a complete working package of features.

Do I get rid of the NOOK and buy the Kobo Touch which syncs, sorts by recently read (not recently downloaded/added!!!), and has a useful homescreen? Do I get rid of the NOOK and wait for a new Kindle? Do I keep the NOOK and keep posting my dissatisfaction that will eventually annoy the heck out of folks?
Have you seen/played with the Kobo Touch? If so, what are your thoughts?
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #161
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:

The Sony isn't an option because of the bookstore (many titles not available and no samples) and the Android app is a joke, making the sync feature on the 950 moot. Even if I was interested in the 950 I wouldn't pay $299 since it's near impossible to find one at the closeout price of $199 now.

My tablet is my primary reader, so I'll be making use of an Android app and eink device.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #162
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrock View Post
Have you seen/played with the Kobo Touch? If so, what are your thoughts?
I've only seen videos. There's a video that was uploaded yesterday that has the new firmware update (can choose when you want the screen to refresh).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMWxYpiFzLs

It doesn't have the pizazz of the NOOK at first glance. It doesn't offer highlighting and dictionary lookup for sideloaded books. It doesn't allow you to change margins and line spacing.

I can only go by what's being discussed by Kobo reps in the Kobo forum here. It appears they are responding to requested features in a timely fashion. Am I willing to gamble $129 on this? Am I willing to lose $139 waiting on B&N to address things they haven't even acknowledged as issues? The shortcomings of the NOOKcolor have been carried over to the Touch. The NOOKcolor's been out six months already and syncing is still a problem.

Last edited by SCION; 06-19-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #163
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
The Kobo people have great CS so far as I've seen -- I wrote them re: Kobo Touch and asked if it supported folder browsing, and the answer I received had clearly been written by a REAL PERSON who had READ AND UNDERSTOOD my question. I was blown away.

Unfortunately, the answer was "no, everything is dumped into a single library". Alas.

I'm on Cloud 9 with my Sony. But I can see where you're coming from on the store/app stuff. I'm sorry this is such a hard choice for you -- doesn't seem fair somehow.

I *will* say, and I hope this doesn't cause too many flames, that I don't think B&N will push very many (if any) enhancements to the N2. The NC has had one major update in, what? Eight months? And the update was incredibly... focused to say the least. We got an app store and that was it. Nothing about the shelves, PDF viewer, etc. was fixed, and B&N won't even release a development timeline with those things on the list.

I'm sorry to say, but I think the B&N development motto is that you'll get what you get and you'll be grateful for it. That's....fine. Whatever. But I wouldn't keep a B&N product MERELY on the hopes that it will "get better later". 'Cause I don't see that happening.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #164
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR & K3
Quote:
I've only seen videos. There's a video that was uploaded yesterday that has the new firmware update (can choose when you want the screen to refresh).

It doesn't offer highlighting and dictionary lookup for sideloaded books.

I can only go by what's being discussed by Kobo reps in the Kobo forum here. It appears they are responding to requested features in a timely fashion.

Am I willing to lose $139 waiting on B&N to address things they haven't even acknowledged as issues? .
Agreed, these are the points that most interest me. I actual prefer the form of the Kobo over the Nook but thats a minor issue; battery life on the Kobo is a bigger one. I returned my Nook due to a touch screen freezing, didn't even open the exchange and returned it too. Using a K3 for now until I decide which new one to go with...
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #165
SCION
Séduisant

Just discovered a Borders in Arlington (for those in the area). That's a reasonable driving distance from me. They aren't open yet, but I'll call and find out if they have the Kobo on display. Maybe I can check it out before my deadline to return the NOOK.